Bottom Line: Someone has to go | The Boneyard

Bottom Line: Someone has to go

Reaction Score
Accountability:

The defensive coordinator is the worst is college football.

For the HC to defend this incompetance is a fireable offense. Bad recruits, probably. Bad coaching, bad scheme, and a lack of player development yes! Is the team really getting better? have the coaches came up with any adjustments of worth? Do they even understand what are the necessary changes in strategy and tactics to improve?
Ill leave that unsaid. But the hc thinks its insulting to consider dismissing a completely unqualified assistant?

The coaching staff is sub standard. Understand there are some good coaches on the staff, but some people need to go.

How can you develop a culture of winning when you dont hold people accountable. If you cant perform at the expectations of the job you should not have a job. What am I missing.

Its clear that Edsal left Uconn without a thought, and came back with less focus, drive and will power in terms of rebuilding this program. He is either incompetant, washed up, or not committed.

Has anyone thought that just maybe, uconn did not get the same coach that left? Accomplisments aside why do you rehire a coach that left like that. He cares aboat the program?

Money and stars aside, there is a problem at the top and its beyond the HC. A sustained culture of losing. There are competent and even brillant young coaches all over the country looking for an opportunity.

This is a disgrace!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the root of UCONNs trouble with football is Randy Edsall. Had Randy not been focused on his "dream job" while coaching UCONN to its biggest game in school history, perhaps things are different. Had he not travelled to Maryland versus going home with the team, perhaps things are different. If he stood in front of those men and told them he was leaving, as he made Todman do, then perhaps things are different.

Had Randy not handcuffed Lashlee because of the defense ineptitude, maybe Lashlee is here with us today and perhaps things are different.

The fact that this joker is back here after what has happened to this football program as a result of his actions in and of itself is a fireable offense for AD Dave.

Reaction Score
The missing ingredient is accountability and consequence. As I argued last year, Crocker should have been gone based on simply being the worst in CFB. Now we are the worst in CFB history. This is a giant fail of epic proportions.

Reaction Score
The best coaches take accountability. Calhoun sure did when he had to. Edsall has expressed none. If no improvement next season, Edsall has to go. Who cares if he was here when we went FBS. Kids don't care.

Arrogant schmuck. Can't keep his small hands comments in the locker room. He was embarrassingly smiling after that game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Edsall's buyout is cut in half after December 1, from $2M to $1M, so nothing is happening until December. I don't think Edsall is going anywhere but OP is right - someone, anyone has to be held accountable for this disaster of a season. Defense has gotten worse - much worse - throughout the season. There has not been a single point of improvement on the defensive side of the ball from week 1 to last night's latest embarrassment.

Reaction Score
Now that all you geniuses have shown you have zero patience and want Edsall out, if that does happen, are you ready to wait another 5 years (mininum) to get this thing turned around? IF that is in the plans, what booster will step up to foot the bill (on the low) for the big time college football coach that we covet so that might be able to pull it off, in 5 years?

Reaction Score
Now that all you geniuses have shown you have zero patience and want Edsall out...

While I wouldn’t lose any significant sleep if Edsall moved on (though I’m not sure that is the right move and think he gets at least another year)... there will likely be sacrificial lamb/scapegoat changes to staff @ the end of the year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Now that all you geniuses have shown you have zero patience and want Edsall out, if that does happen, are you ready to wait another 5 years (mininum) to get this thing turned around? IF that is in the plans, what booster will step up to foot the bill (on the low) for the big time college football coach that we covet so that might be able to pull it off, in 5 years?

I'm going to preface everything i'm about to say with the fact that I'm not calling for Edsall to be fired:

1) anyone still left on this board is an example of people showing a great deal more than zero patience. A GREAT DEAL MORE!

2) any football rebuild should NOT take 5 years! You need two senior classes from your own recruits to start winning???

3) most people would live with a .500 record here. We don't need a big time coach. We need a competent program...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Buffalo is 9-2. While the AAC > MAC, the Bulls have beaten Temple (36-29) and Rutgers (42-13) earlier this year. We will get to compare a common opponent next weekend after we are ultimately crushed by Temple. They recruit the same geographic area we do but in a worse conference.

Cincinnati is in year 2 of Luke Fickell and they're already ranked and loaded. How is it that UC - aside from one bad Tuberville hire - can find good football coach after good football coach and we can't? Yes, OH recruiting is better than northeast recruiting. But UC has demonstrated time and time again that they have the football infrastructure in-place to be a strong contender to be Notre Dame's ACC +1 or on the Big 12 expansion list.

While Syracuse is in the ACC, they are in the same recruiting geography we are and were the easiest W on our old Big East schedule year in and year out. Now, they are ranked thanks to a great head coach hire. I have no idea if Babers will stay in Syracuse long-term, but he's paid at the bottom level of ACC coaches (around $2.5M/yr) and that salary sits firmly within a financial ballpark that we have to operate in (and most of our AAC schools already operate in).

UAB, Utah State, Fresno State, Army, Appalachian State, Temple, Troy, and Northern Illinois are all G5 schools that have been in the top 25 or flirted with a top 25 ranking at some point this season.

UConn doesn't need to be a national championship contender in football to be considered a P5 school/athletic department. It just needs to be in the mediocre bowl game tier and we are FAR from that tier right now.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed this board is unanimous that Edsall's excuses ring hollow. The 5 year rebuild BS nothing more than a scapegoat excuse.

I just wish Benedict would have given the head job to Lashlee last year. It would have been a huge gamble given his age and experience, but the #REsults, could not be worse. I really enjoyed the offense last year. Dunn isn't bad, but I liked the Lashlee O more. The next head coach hire, please be an offensive guy.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Buffalo is 9-2. While the AAC > MAC, the Bulls have beaten Temple (36-29) and Rutgers (42-13) earlier this year. We will get to compare a common opponent next weekend after we are ultimately crushed by Temple. They recruit the same geographic area we do but in a worse conference.

Cincinnati is in year 2 of Luke Fickell and they're already ranked and loaded. How is it that UC - aside from one bad Tuberville hire - can find good football coach after good football coach and we can't? Yes, OH recruiting is better than northeast recruiting. But UC has demonstrated time and time again that they have the football infrastructure in-place to be a strong contender to be Notre Dame's ACC +1 or on the Big 12 expansion list.

While Syracuse is in the ACC, they are in the same recruiting geography we are and were the easiest W on our old Big East schedule year in and year out. Now, they are ranked thanks to a great head coach hire. I have no idea if Babers will stay in Syracuse long-term, but he's paid at the bottom level of ACC coaches (around $2.5M/yr) and that salary sits firmly within a financial ballpark that we have to operate in (and most of our AAC schools already operate in).

UAB, Utah State, Fresno State, Army, Appalachian State, Temple, Troy, and Northern Illinois are all G5 schools that have been in the top 25 or flirted with a top 25 ranking at some point this season.

UConn doesn't need to be a national championship contender in football to be considered a P5 school/athletic department. It just needs to be in the mediocre bowl game tier and we are FAR from that tier right now.
Lance Leipold is 9-2 at Buffalo. His record in year 2 at Buffalo, 2-10. Hopefully, we are on the same rebuild plan. The pain would be worth it, if we get the same end result. Here’s hoping.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I just wish Benedict would have given the head job to Lashlee last year. It would have been a huge gamble given his age and experience, but the #REsults, could not be worse. I really enjoyed the offense last year. Dunn isn't bad, but I liked the Lashlee O more. The next head coach hire, please be an offensive guy.

Would've been risky, but also would've been exciting. Would've brought energy. Would've been fun.

Instead we get three dives into the line and waxing poetic about mid-tier Big East teams. Catch the excitement. Bet the kids are geeked up to run out there for Randy.

Reaction Score
Would've been risky, but also would've been exciting. Would've brought energy. Would've been fun.

Instead we get three dives into the line and waxing poetic about mid-tier Big East teams. Catch the excitement. Bet the kids are geeked up to run out there for Randy.

Did you see all of the kids grab Lashlee after last week’s SMU game? There’s your answer.

Reaction Score
I said this in the other post but I’ll say it again here...at a reception before last Sunday’s mens game, when I asked Benedict if he was concerned that the defense is not improving at all he said if after 5 years we don’t show improvement, then he will be concerned. I’ll repeat - 5 years. And that’s just to show improvement. Not necessarily to be good. He also gave Crocker a vote of confidence. Doesn’t sound like Crocker or anyone else is going anywhere.

Reaction Score
I’m gone. No season tix this year and I can’t see myself going back. Though I have reasons other than poor football for not renewing, it’s the poor performances which makes it easier.

Reaction Score
Edsall underrates the New England collegiate football scene.

Hoping for a trip to Bowdoin in Brunswick, Maine, next season. Field has a cemetery right next to it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Something needs to be done. My guess the coaching staff will be shaken up. Not sure who but I would guess the defensive coaches should have their resumes ready

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom