OT: - Boston restaurants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Boston restaurants

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every time we go to Boston we stop at Kens Steak House Framingham.

Not that is a salad dressing spot.

Reaction Score
Every time we go to Boston we stop at Kens Steak House Framingham.
Is it good? I've lived 15 minutes from there for over 20 years and have never eaten there. I go by it all the time.

Reaction Score
Noodle Street has some of my favorite Thai food anywhere. Located on BU’s campus.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Grill 23 has been outstanding for a steak dinner every time I’ve been.

Elephant walk is great Vietnamese/French fusion and not too pricey.

Take these with a grain of salt it’s been a while
I’m with you on grill 23 for a perfect steak but Elephant Walk is Cambodian, man.

They’re essentially a chain but I think Davio’s is a great mid-price steak.

It’s been a while but Panang for Malaysian and Montien for Thai.

I’ve found that suburban restaurants are essentially just as good as all but the elite fare in Boston (like Abby Park in Milton, Amelia’s in Stoughton). The Pho restaurant we go to in Randolph is at least as good as any in Chinatown or Dorchester. One of the best BBQ meals I had was at low-end-looking Tennessee Real BBQ in Braintree.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m with you on grill 23 for a perfect steak but Elephant Walk is Cambodian, man.

They’re essentially a chain but I think Davio’s is a great mid-price steak.

It’s been a while but Panang for Malaysian and Montien for Thai.

I’ve found that suburban restaurants are essentially just as good as all but the elite fare in Boston (like Abby Park in Milton, Amelia’s in Stoughton). The Pho restaurant we go to in Randolph is at least as good as any in Chinatown or Dorchester. One of the best BBQ meals I had was at low-end-looking Tennessee Real BBQ in Braintree.

I never go into the city for food. There is no point really. I don't go as far as Braintree or Stoughton either most of the time. Davios at Patriots Place is actually quite a bit nicer than the one in town. More roomy, less noisy. Sadly my favorite local place in Franklin recently closed.

Reaction Score
Stay away from Barbara Lynch restaurants. A buddy and I worked at her restaurants when we were younger. The food may be good, but she is one nasty employer. Too many horror stories to tell.

Eh, No. 9 Park is always good.

Reaction Score
Eh, No. 9 Park is always good.
Far from "the best" restaurant in Boston; but a good and fun spot is Fajitas and Ritas just a block off the Commons on West st. Way better than average Tex Mex and killer margaritas. Casual and cheap for the quality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lol, do you live in Boston because this is peak Bostonian.
No, but my friend had a ton of cousins from Somerville. When they visited it was like the neighborhood had twice as many kids that day.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I never go into the city for food. There is no point really. I don't go as far as Braintree or Stoughton either most of the time. Davios at Patriots Place is actually quite a bit nicer than the one in town. More roomy, less noisy. Sadly my favorite local place in Franklin recently closed.
En contreau?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
En contreau?

Incontro. Phonetically similar I guess. Not as good recently as when it opened, but the physical space is tremendous. Going to be a distillery/restaurant now, which is fun. Hard to explain how nice that place was when my daughter was small and we were hiring babysitters. You just can't trek into Boston in that situation.

Easy to get to Providence if we want to and I really like this place https://www.alicantema.com/ Wife knows the owners there.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Moody st in Waltham usually has some good restaurants. I have not lived there in years so I can’t give any recent reviews, but Solea was the best tapas restaurant I’ve been to in the Boston area. One that I don’t recommend is Ponzu - new management, crappy food.

Reaction Score
What was that? I'm in Franklin a lot in summertime at Adirondack.
Had 2nd dinner last night at Assisi in Wrentham, very good authentic Italian food, reasonably priced esp compared to Boston - place was packed too.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Incontro. Phonetically similar I guess. Not as good recently as when it opened, but the physical space is tremendous. Going to be a distillery/restaurant now, which is fun. Hard to explain how nice that place was when my daughter was small and we were hiring babysitters. You just can't trek into Boston in that situation.

Easy to get to Providence if we want to and I really like this place https://www.alicantema.com/ Wife knows the owners there.
Ha ha, yeah I went there once but it was good. That other restaurant looks nice but that’s a haul for me. The 495 ring is like the end of the earth.

Reaction Score
Ha ha, yeah I went there once but it was good. That other restaurant looks nice but that’s a haul for me. The 495 ring is like the end of the earth.
Ok, yes I'd eaten there a couple times - loved the space. It felt a little bit of too cool for school vibe-wise at first, but I think that was because everyone was extra dressed up = so happy to be out without the kids.

Two other 'burbs recommendations:
Sweet Basil in Needham - this is our most frequented place, food is always super flavorful and BYOB makes the experience very cost effective. Small, great ambiance.
Avenue in Medfield - a bit upscale for the sake of upscale, but food is mostly very good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What was that? I'm in Franklin a lot in summertime at Adirondack.
Had 2nd dinner last night at Assisi in Wrentham, very good authentic Italian food, reasonably priced esp compared to Boston - place was packed too.

It was Incontro, right off of 495/140 exit. Converted an old mill. Big bar upstairs with 8/9 nice billiard tables. Just a beautiful space really. Food was initially superb, northern Italian/Steak. Wasn't as good at the end, but I still enjoyed the place. Proposed Franklin distillery approved by Planning Board

Assisi has a good reputation. The Gavel Pub in Wrentham has dramatically improved its menu/food now too. Unfortunately it's tiny and always packed.

Reaction Score
It was Incontro, right off of 495/140 exit. Converted an old mill. Big bar upstairs with 8/9 nice billiard tables. Just a beautiful space really. Food was initially superb, northern Italian/Steak. Wasn't as good at the end, but I still enjoyed the place. Proposed Franklin distillery approved by Planning Board

Assisi has a good reputation. The Gavel Pub in Wrentham has dramatically improved its menu/food now too. Unfortunately it's tiny and always packed.
Yes, funny last night was wife's birthday dinner at Assisi and I've been to Gavel once for my son's birthday in December. Gavel was great both beers and higher end pub food with phenomenal atmosphere - definitely going back for a date night at the bar. Eaglebrook (near Forekicks in Norfolk) used to provide that, but too basic/been there too much so now just reserved for easy family meals or guys drinks at bar.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, funny last night was wife's birthday dinner at Assisi and I've been to Gavel once for my son's birthday in December. Gavel was great both beers and higher end pub food with phenomenal atmosphere - definitely going back for a date night at the bar. Eaglebrook (near Forekicks in Norfolk) used to provide that, but too basic/been there too much so now just reserved for easy family meals or guys drinks at bar.

By the way, if you are a Scotch drinker, check out Norfolk Wine & Spirits about a half mile from Eaglebrook.

Eaglebrook is ok but so noisy and crowded. Seems to always be filled with a middle school sports team.

Reaction Score
By the way, if you are a Scotch drinker, check out Norfolk Wine & Spirits about a half mile from Eaglebrook.

Eaglebrook is ok but so noisy and crowded. Seems to always be filled with a middle school sports team.
Yes, like I said either going with a gaggle of kids or for beers after golf, before a pats game, later at night as its definitely a family place.
It seems like Norfolk Wine & Spirits should have great deals and be a warehouse volume place, yet I've had mixed experiences - I'm more whiskey than scotch. I think I got some good bottles of absinthe there years ago when I was into that for awhile via Hemingway.
"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world. I mean disassociated. Take a top hat. You think you see it as it really is. But you don’t because you associate it with other things and ideas. If you had never heard of one before, and suddenly saw it alone, you’d be frightened, or you’d laugh. That is the effect absinthe has, and that is why it drives men mad. Three nights I sat up all night drinking absinthe, and thinking that I was singularly clear-headed and sane. The waiter came in and began watering the sawdust.The most wonderful flowers, tulips, lilies and roses, sprang up, and made a garden in the cafe. “Don’t you see them?” I said to him. “Mais non, monsieur, il n’y a rien. "

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, like I said either going with a gaggle of kids or for beers after golf, before a pats game, later at night as its definitely a family place.
It seems like Norfolk Wine & Spirits should have great deals and be a warehouse volume place, yet I've had mixed experiences - I'm more whiskey than scotch. I think I got some good bottles of absinthe there years ago when I was into that for awhile via Hemingway.
"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world. I mean disassociated. Take a top hat. You think you see it as it really is. But you don’t because you associate it with other things and ideas. If you had never heard of one before, and suddenly saw it alone, you’d be frightened, or you’d laugh. That is the effect absinthe has, and that is why it drives men mad. Three nights I sat up all night drinking absinthe, and thinking that I was singularly clear-headed and sane. The waiter came in and began watering the sawdust.The most wonderful flowers, tulips, lilies and roses, sprang up, and made a garden in the cafe. “Don’t you see them?” I said to him. “Mais non, monsieur, il n’y a rien. "

Well Scotch is a whisky? Largest Scotch selection in Mass. It's not cheap, but they do free tastings of expensive stuff all the time.

Reaction Score
If you are doing bunch, a great spot is Henrietta's Table in Cambridge (inside Charles Hotel) and right behind Harvard Square. Brunch is all you can eat. Oysters on half shell, shrimp cocktail, eggs bennie, omelets made to order, fish entree, meat entree, veggies, bagels, waffles & dessert. Did I miss anything? The you waddle out the door.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If Todd English is still in business up there, avoid his restaurants at all costs. I've never been more disappointed with high-ticket meals than I've been at his places.

It's been 17 years since I lived up there, but the "classic" restaurants are classic for a reason - they're reliably good, as Big Ern noted. But if you are in the mood to slum it up a bit, the steak tips sandwich at The Fours is still one of the best sandwiches I've had anywhere in the US.

Tourist tip: after dinner, the open mic nights at the Tremont Hotel bar are quite gay, but amazingly fun. I used to kill up there with "Luck Be A Lady Tonight". If you know a show tune by heart, get up on stage. The piano player will be on your side. It's an experience.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It's been 17 years since I lived up there, but the "classic" restaurants are classic for a reason - they're reliably good, as Big Ern noted. But if you are in the mood to slum it up a bit, the steak tips sandwich at The Fours is still one of the best sandwiches I've had anywhere in the US.
Ha ha we go to the Fours probably every other month or so, Quincy location. Decent beer selection and my wife gets steak tips every time. Kids love it there. The Quincy downtown is transforming like crazy. Other quincy downtown spots we've recently hit are the Fat Cat (decent, not so different than the Fours) and the Shaking Crab. My wife and I love seafood but Shaking Crab experience is all about the sauce/seasoning you get. It will make your meal great or meh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom