Boston Globe UMass Football article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe UMass Football article

Reaction Score
Unlike UConn in Connecticut, in Massachusetts, few care about UMass athletics.
Understand your point. But UMass played in the NC$$ championship game in hockey last year and are ranked 5th in the nation. So some athletics up there people care about.

Reaction Score
Actually the first year they are receiving anything.
Factually, Rutgals received about $9m their first B1G year (2014) with increased profit sharing annually until scheduled to receive a full share (about 2027). Yup, umess would gladly accept B1G dinero.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Factually, Rutgals received about $9m their first B1G year (2014) with increased profit sharing annually until scheduled to receive a full share (about 2027). Yup, umess would gladly accept B1G dinero.
I talk with RU fans a lot and their big complaint is not being able to compete in the Big 10. The thing is B1G money will at least give them a shot at doing the things that they need to be able to compete. I love the RAC but it's well past its prime. It needs either a dramatic upgrade or to be replaced. The bubble? Seems a little small time for a B1G program. And they can afford the top coaching talent. They need to make that a priority.

But I do not underestimate Rutgers ability to Rutger things up. It is a part of their charm.

Reaction Score
I talk with RU fans a lot and their big complaint is not being able to compete in the Big 10. The thing is B1G money will at least give them a shot at doing the things that they need to be able to compete. I love the RAC but it's well past its prime. It needs either a dramatic upgrade or to be replaced. The bubble? Seems a little small time for a B1G program. And they can afford the top coaching talent. They need to make that a priority.

But I do not underestimate Rutgers ability to Rutger things up. It is a part of their charm.
Tell your RU buddies they're hopeless unless the Big 10 expands and creates 4 pods of 4.

-Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin
-Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue
-Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State
-Rutgers, Maryland and 2 eastern schools

That would be quite an interesting conference for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
Tell your RU buddies they're hopeless unless the Big 10 expands and creates 4 pods of 4.

So what do you think they might call the pod containing Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State?

The winners pod?

Reaction Score

my Michigan friends say the ideal pods for 16 teams would be:

- Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa
- Minnesota , Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
- Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
- Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

they would never want Michigan and Ohio State in the same pod.

Reaction Score
Shaughnessy has long been obsessed with this issue and won't let it go. Your naysayers at the Courant aren't as bad, but it's low-hanging fruit for a sports columnist.

I have long since forgotten who originally said this......Shaughnessy resembles a used Q-Tip.

Reaction Score
my Michigan friends say the ideal pods for 16 teams would be:

- Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa
- Minnesota , Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
- Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
- Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers

they would never want Michigan and Ohio State in the same pod.
Oklahoma is probably going to go to the SEC. Perfect cultural fit.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma is probably going to go to the SEC. Perfect cultural fit.

I think Oklahoma will go wherever Texas goes. They would love to renew their biggest rivalries with Texas and Nebraska .

Reaction Score
This guy must be smoking some good stuff if he ever though Umass had a "brand" to begin with.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Dan thinks Boston is New England and nothing outside of the city exists.

That’s why I dislike everything Boston except for the NEW ENGLAND Patriots.

Boston is not the center of the universe. New York, Chicago, and Dallas (three other places I’ve lived) are bigger and more important.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That’s why I dislike everything Boston except for the NEW ENGLAND Patriots.

Boston is not the center of the universe. New York, Chicago, and Dallas (three other places I’ve lived) are bigger and more important.

"Ahhh, nah. We call it the ["Hub" of the Universe], Senatah. The ["Hub" of the Universe]." - Willie Cicci, The Godfather, Part II

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Dallas is more important than Boston, maybe, maybe not. I probably underrate Dallas out of ignorance. I realize it has become a world class city. I presume the big business in Dallas has you thinking highly of it, but one could argue that Boston’s contributions in research, education, technology, theater and medicine have few rivals anywhere. The incredible colonial history is a huge bonus too.

I love Boston but the natives definitely think it is a way bigger deal than it is. Many think it is equal to NYC. Truthfully, when I first moved to Boston in the late 90’s and a work friend (native) told me “This is the only place in New England that matters.” and I disputed it, he said, “Why do you think they call it the Hub?” I had never heard of the Hub and when I returned to CT and asked around I couldn’t find anyone that knew Boston was The Hub. The Hub is certainly not the Big Apple or The Windy City. I still find that few people outside of Boston know it as the Hub.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure Dallas is more important than Boston, maybe, maybe not. I probably underrate Dallas out of ignorance. I realize it has become a world class city. I presume the big business in Dallas has you thinking highly of it, but one could argue that Boston’s contributions in research, education, technology, theater and medicine have few rivals anywhere. The incredible colonial history is a huge bonus too.

I love Boston but the natives definitely think it is a way bigger deal than it is. Many think it is equal to NYC. Truthfully, when I first moved to Boston in the late 90’s and a work friend (native) told me “This is the only place in New England that matters.” and I disputed it, he said, “Why do you think they call it the Hub?” I had never heard of the Hub and when I returned to CT and asked around I couldn’t find anyone that knew Boston was The Hub. The Hub is certainly not the Big Apple or The Windy City. I still find that few people outside of Boston know it as the Hub.

Is this the opposite of "Bean Town"? No one from Boston refers to it by that name, and only people from elsewhere call it Bean Town.

Reaction Score
The three cities that really matter in this country are NYC, Chicago, and LA. Boston and Dallas are 2nd tier.

Reaction Score
The three cities that really matter in this country are NYC, Chicago, and LA. Boston and Dallas are 2nd tier.
Boston and Dallas are 3rd tier. Philly, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, are all larger than Boston and Dallas. Houston and Phoenix are much larger.

Reaction Score
Boston and Dallas are 3rd tier. Philly, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, are all larger than Boston and Dallas. Houston and Phoenix are much larger.

Larger has nothing to do with it. None of those cities are more important than Boston. You have to look at what the city produces and the intellectual value of the city. Boston is very significant because it is a world leader in education, research, medicine, art and finance. The brains in Boston alone make it a very significant city.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Never use Dan Shaughnessy and think in the same sentence. They do not go together!
True! He also wrote an article a few years ago saying UCONN women’s hoops are so good they are ruining women’s hoops. Jerk.

Reaction Score
Larger has nothing to do with it. None of those cities are more important than Boston. You have to look at what the city produces and the intellectual value of the city. Boston is very significant because it is a world leader in education, research, medicine, art and finance. The brains in Boston alone make it a very significant city.
You're crazy, Boston's a has been, it isn't what it used to be. All Boston has is a bunch of pompous intellectuals in their 70's and 80's, snow, fog, and baked beans. San Diego is sooooooo much more important to the United States than Boston is now. It's the 2nd largest city in California, three and a half million people live in the San Diego metro area, it's the 4th largest naval port in the country being home to the Pacific Fleet, being home port to about 50 ships and submarines, and is the only city on the west coast with submarine and navy ship building facilities. It is also home to the Marine Corp Naval Air Station at Miramar. It has huge commercial shipping facilities that dwarfs what Boston has ever had. San Diego is also a world leader in Biotechnology companies, second only to Boston. San Diego is also home to the world famous San Diego Zoo and is the world leader in zoological education and research. Also if you like tuna fish, look to San Diego. I could go on with San Diego County being a world leader in agriculture, but I won't even go there. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're crazy, Boston's a has been, it isn't what it used to be. All Boston has is a bunch of pompous intellectuals in their 70's and 80's, snow, fog, and baked beans. San Diego is sooooooo much more important to the United States than Boston is now. It's the 2nd largest city in California, three and a half million people live in the San Diego metro area, it's the 4th largest naval port in the country being home to the Pacific Fleet, being home port to about 50 ships and submarines, and is the only city on the west coast with submarine and navy ship building facilities. It is also home to the Marine Corp Naval Air Station at Miramar. It has huge commercial shipping facilities that dwarfs what Boston has ever had. San Diego is also a world leader in Biotechnology companies, second only to Boston. San Diego is also home to the world famous San Diego Zoo and is the world leader in zoological education and research. Also if you like tuna fish, look to San Diego. I could go on with San Diego County being a world leader in agriculture, but I won't even go there. Lol

Are you trolling me right now? I sure hope so.

Reaction Score
NYC, LA and Chicago make tons of garbage, with no where to put it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom