Boston Globe UMass Football article | The Boneyard

Boston Globe UMass Football article

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That reads more like an Op-Ed. I learned nothing from that other than Dan Shaughnessy does not think UMass should play FBS football.

Read the first 2 pages of the comments noey.

Reaction Score
Read the first 2 pages of the comments noey.
Bunch of chicken littles running around this state as well.

The job became more difficult FOR US, when we lost BCS status and ended up in the purgatory known as the G5. Even still look at what Temple, Buffalo, and Boise State have done right, which is HIRE GOOD COACHES! People really over think this. Hire a Walt Bell or Bob Diaco and you're bound to end up in the throes of a death spiral. What did the moribund Memphis program do? Hire good coaches. How did Wisconsin and Virginia Tech rise out of the ashes before the real Big money kicked in? Hired Barry Alvarez and Frank Beamer.

When you hire a dud cut bait early.

Reaction Score

The job became more difficult FOR US, when we lost BCS status and ended up in the purgatory known as the G5. Even still look at what Temple, Buffalo, and Boise State have done right, which is HIRE GOOD COACHES! People really over think this. Hire a Walt Bell or Bob Diaco and you're bound to end up in the throes of a death spiral. What did the moribund Memphis program do? Hire good coaches. How did Wisconsin and Virginia Tech rise out of the ashes before the real Big money kicked in? Hired Barry Alvarez and Frank Beamer.

I agree with your post. Temple is the prime example. It was interesting to read the back to the Yankee conference comments though. Sounded familiar. I don't think many of those who posted comments ever attend a game.

Reaction Score
UMass is 74 points away from tying our points allowed in a single season record. If they beat our 2018 record we better come our sucking next year! (I kid..)

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

Exactly Temple has continously hired good coaches..The Buffalo coach was a successful D2 coach..Memphis was awful their last three coaches have been really good..I think Whipple would've been more successful than PP...One good hire away from at least being respectable..

Reaction Score
What sticks out to me is that UConn apparently never REALLY used a proper search and selection process. In two cases there were external actors putting their thumbs on the scale and in the red pants case I cannot believe a more rigorous process would not have raised questions. That call back interview for the final two candidated is all important.

Reaction Score
And red pants was the second choice, right? Lost the MI State guy over too little money for assistants is what I recall. Is that correct?

Reaction Score

Whipple made $503k

Reaction Score
UMass is a 35 point underdog to Northwestern. Ok, Rutgers is 55 point dog to Ohio State. So Dan, should Rutgers drop football?
Rutgers gets a B1G check for football, Umass does not. Use your brain

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That reads more like an Op-Ed. I learned nothing from that other than Dan Shaughnessy does not think UMass should play FBS football.
That's because it is one. Shaughnessy is a columnist. He fancies himself a contrarian, but he is more of a hack and I have no idea why he has so much cache'.

I will not give the article the click it is baiting. For my money, The Globe has lost a lot of credibility since John Henry bought it.

Reaction Score

It is not hard. We just need to hire a good coach. Temple did it so there really isn't much excuse when we got better resources.

DrG

Reaction Score
Shaughnessy has long been obsessed with this issue and won't let it go. Your naysayers at the Courant aren't as bad, but it's low-hanging fruit for a sports columnist.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see what UMass' long term strategy are for football. It's not like there is some untapped market for them to capture. They have no fans or broad financial support. They are in a perpetual death spiral and money pit hole.

DrG

Reaction Score
^ It's not an inappropriate question. Right now, our strategy appears to be to try to survive independence, get by on the multimillion dollar sacrificial lamb payouts from the P5 schools, and hope Bell can get some talent in there in a hurry. It's not going to be easy. Unfortunately, you guys may have a similar problem in a couple of years, if not as severe as UMass.' The residual benefits of the old BE football membership have long since passed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UMass never really had a defendable strategy for football. What is the LT end game for UMass? If you think UConn has a minuscule chance at a P5 bid over the long term, what chance does UMass have? I have thought UMass would go back to FCS as they don't have the necessary resources to compete. Think about it, their stadium holds 16k and they can not get P5 schools for home games.

Unlike UConn in Connecticut, in Massachusetts, few care about UMass athletics.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UMass never really had a defendable strategy for football. What is the LT end game for UMass? If you think UConn has a minuscule chance at a P5 bid over the long term, what chance does UMass have? I have thought UMass would go back to FCS as they don't have the necessary resources to compete. Think about it, their stadium holds 16k and they can not get P5 schools for home games.

Unlike UConn in Connecticut, in Massachusetts, few care about UMass athletics.

Came across the UMass game on TV last night. Long gone are the sellouts of Mullins Center (earlier, the Curry Hicks Cage, which necessitated Mullins) of the 90's.

For UConn, the conference move and last season's coaching change gives rise to hope that those days are ahead as well as behind. UConn is only 5 seasons removed from a National Championship. UMass is 5 seasons removed from being ranked.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see what UMass' long term strategy are for football. It's not like there is some untapped market for them to capture. They have no fans or broad financial support. They are in a perpetual death spiral and money pit hole.
They need to win some games, if they don't, then hire a new coach. Simple

Reaction Score
UMass still plays in their FCS stadium and never fully took footing in a FBS conference. What would be the difference in interest level between playing UConn, Liberty and Coastal Carolina vs. their regional FCS rivals every season? Unlike UConn they didn't pump millions into facilities and marketing so the drop wouldn't be nearly as dramatic.

Reaction Score
First they took away UMass football and then...

Conspiracy theory me says someone at UMass like a trustee pushed for this story....to launch a trial balloon.
If UConn hired a new coach other than Edsall after canning Disco, and was winning some games now, I'm convinced this article would never have been written.

Reaction Score
UMass still plays in their FCS stadium and never fully took footing in a FBS conference. What would be the difference in interest level between playing UConn, Liberty and Coastal Carolina vs. their regional FCS rivals every season? Unlike UConn they didn't pump millions into facilities and marketing so the drop wouldn't be nearly as dramatic.
People around here wouldn’t notice. Won a FCS championship with Whipple and runner up with Brown but nobody talks about or remembers. They still talk about the Calipari days and the cage at Curry Hicks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom