Boston Globe UMass Football article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe UMass Football article

Reaction Score
Are you trolling me right now? I sure hope so.
No, just pointing out how stupid and pompous your post was. All those brains and intellectual value coming out of South Boston is remarkable (Lol). I will say that yes, Boston has it's strong points finance, education, and research, but to blanket call it much "more important than all those other cities" is short sighted and just plain uninformed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UMass is 74 points away from tying our points allowed in a single season record. If they beat our 2018 record we better come our sucking next year! (I kid..)

Lost 45-6 today to Northwestern so they've given up 576 pts in 11 games. BYU just needs to put up 30 on them next week to break our coveted record.

Reaction Score
Lost 45-6 today to Northwestern so they've given up 576 pts in 11 games. BYU just needs to put up 30 on them next week to break our coveted record.
I hope they don't break it, their football program is on much thinner ice than UConn's is. If they drop back to FCS, that's not good for FBS football in New England. Just leaves us and BC?

Reaction Score
No, just pointing out how stupid and pompous your post was. All those brains and intellectual value coming out of South Boston is remarkable.

My post was pompous? How so? Keep in mind, I’m not a Boston native nor a current resident and I agreed that Bostonians overrate it’s place in the world earlier in the thread.

Having said that, calling my assertions as to why Boston is a very important city stupid when it houses so many incredible institutions like Harvard, MIT, Mass General and literally hundreds of others is laughable.

Meanwhile, you give us a zoo and tuna fish.

Reaction Score
My post was pompous? How so? Keep in mind, I’m not a Boston native nor a current resident and I agreed that Bostonians overrate it’s place in the world earlier in the thread.

Having said that, calling my assertions as to why Boston is a very important city stupid when it houses so many incredible institutions like Harvard, MIT, Mass General and literally hundreds of others is laughable.

Meanwhile, you give us a zoo and tuna fish.
Your pompousity amazes me. Like I said Boston is important, no doubt, but people across the United States (and South Boston) can't eat Harvard, MIT, or Mass General. However, they do eat tunafish (Lol), and tons of food coming out of San Diego County while Boston Harbor is frozen and there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Reaction Score
Your pompousity amazes me. Like I said Boston is important, no doubt, but people across the United States (and South Boston) can't eat Harvard, MIT, or Mass General. However, they do eat tunafish (Lol), and tons of food coming out of San Diego County while Boston Harbor is frozen and there is a foot of snow on the ground.
To call Boston third rate is pompous. I take it you think New England is some backwoods.

Reaction Score

Dude, have you been playing Sim City and hitting the sauce? And pointing to San Antonio as an upper tier city? LOL.

Reaction Score
To call Boston third rate is pompous. I take it you think New England is some backwoods.
Ok smart guy, do you think Boston College fans and administrators are pompous? Honest question, and I'll bet you can't give me a yes or no answer. Just for the record, I said 3rd tier among US cities, not 3rd rate.

Reaction Score
Dude, have you been playing Sim City and hitting the sauce? And pointing to San Antonio as an upper tier city? LOL.
No, only said it was upper tier in terms of population and area. It's well over twice the size of Boston in both categories.

Reaction Score
No, only said it was upper tier in terms of population and area. It's well over twice the size of Boston in both categories.

You are using Metro San Diego vs. Boston proper for your population figures. Metro Boston has 4.6 million people, which is 1.3 million more than Metro San Diego, not that it matters.

Reaction Score
You are using Metro San Diego vs. Boston proper for your population figures. Metro Boston has 4.6 million people, which is 1.3 million more than Metro San Diego, not that it matters.
Show me in quotes where I said San Diego had a larger metro population than Boston. You can't, because I never did. I did say that scores of cities, including San Diego have larger city populations than Boston by around twice as much and in some cases much more than that. I also don't recall using the Boston proper figures, numerically speaking, at all, not that it matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Show me in quotes where I said San Diego had a larger metro population than Boston. You can't, because I never did. I did say that scores of cities, including San Diego have larger city populations than Boston by around twice as much.

Ah, fair enough. I see now that you were referring to San Antonio being twice the size of Boston in both area and population. Although, that’s disingenuous because metro Boston is almost double the population of metro San Antonio.

Lots of cities have a larger population than Boston proper, but that’s a silly measure since Boston proper is so small geographically.

Regardless, I’m bowing out on this out of respect for other posters that don’t want to see our pissing match. Peace.

Reaction Score
Ok smart guy, do you think Boston College fans and administrators are pompous? Honest question, and I'll bet you can't give me a yes or no answer. Just for the record, I said 3rd tier among US cities, not 3rd rate.
Dumb question. Flutie Effect worked wonders for the school in a city where competition for educational and research opportunities is extremely competitive.

Are faculty and alumni at Williams College pompous? Holy cow. What about Dartmouth??

Reaction Score
Ah, fair enough. I see now that you were referring to San Antonio being twice the size of Boston in both area and population. Although, that’s disingenuous because metro Boston is almost double the population of metro San Antonio.

Lots of cities have a larger population than Boston proper, but that’s a silly measure since Boston proper is so small geographically.

Regardless, I’m bowing out on this out of respect for other posters that don’t want to see our pissing match. Peace.
No argument there. Also don't think I was trying to lump San Antonio with San Diego into both being better cities in other respects than Boston. Boston blows away San Antonio in the other metrics you brought up. San Diego, on the other hand, along with the port of Long Beach, is a huge economic and world trade lynchpin for the US and the world's economy, as well as a military hub that keeps the shipping lanes safe.

Reaction Score
Dumb question. Flutie Effect worked wonders for the school in a city where competition for educational and research opportunities is extremely competitive.

Are faculty and alumni at Williams College pompous? Holy cow. What about Dartmouth??
I meant pompous towards UConn, you know that school in Storrs CT.

Wow, the Flutie effect, Lol, lasted a couple years like 40 years ago. How about the 0-18 men's basketball effect, or the 2-8 football effect?

Reaction Score
You could argue the bay area (Silicon Valley) is the most important part of the US. At least in the top 3.

Reaction Score
You could argue the bay area (Silicon Valley) is the most important part of the US. At least in the top 3.
Good point, but that's like saying the Portsmouth Naval Yard up in New Hampshire is part of Boston.

Reaction Score
Bunch of chicken littles running around this state as well.

The job became more difficult FOR US, when we lost BCS status and ended up in the purgatory known as the G5. Even still look at what Temple, Buffalo, and Boise State have done right, which is HIRE GOOD COACHES! People really over think this. Hire a Walt Bell or Bob Diaco and you're bound to end up in the throes of a death spiral. What did the moribund Memphis program do? Hire good coaches. How did Wisconsin and Virginia Tech rise out of the ashes before the real Big money kicked in? Hired Barry Alvarez and Frank Beamer.

When you hire a dud cut bait early.

Yes, Wisconsin hired Barry Alvarez the Defensive Coordinator at Notre Dame to turn them around. UCONN should consider hiring a defensive coordinator from Notre Dame. That seems to be a path to success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom