Boston Globe BC should look to leave ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe BC should look to leave ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC will not leave the ACC unless the ACC itself ceases. First, the ACC will not kick-out any school as there are too many legal and political issues with doing so. Second, BC likes receive checks from the ACC. Third, even if BC continues to suck in its major sport programs (excluding hockey), the can still use BC's athletic presence in the ACC as a recruiting/marketing tool with respect to students (and to a different extent with donors) to differentiate the BC from other schools like BU, Northeastern, Tufts, etc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Teams have terrible seasons and even long stretches of terrible seasons. That is not a reason to give up millions of dollars.

If BC isn't interested in competing, only then they should withdraw.

What should happen is the ACC should kick them out for fraud.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My daughter is being recruited by BC in another sport. I was up in Boston and had several discussion with the locals about this thinking they would say, "That's great!" or something along those lines. Instead I got this universal answer in all cases. To paraphrase, "BC sucks. Why would she want to go there!??" And these were Bostonians saying this! For the record, she doesn't want to go to BC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
11590722.jpg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
BC wasn't even the apple of Boston's eye when Flutie was there - yeah it generated interest but mostly from New England rather than Boston.
Boston is a pro team market - plain and simple
I have relatives (some who went to BC) who are life long Boston area residents.
These folks NEVER talk BC sports - not even the hockey

BC wont leave the ACC unless pushed out (doubtful) or a new regime comes in administration wise.
They receive so much money that it offsets the team performances
As long as the hockey program has Hockey East - they are set.

Recruitment is the key - will they lose enough to severely damage this area?
I don't know - sure kids may want to play on a winner but there may be enough "borderline P5 athletes" that will take the free ride to play the ACC schedule while still receiving a degree from a "good school".

BC was attractive to the ACC because of the Boston market but I don't think enough research went into looking at "was BC a good overall fit" for the ACC.
I honestly feel that if the ACC took UConn along with BC - that would have been a healthy decision.

In the end, I wish nothing but the worst for BC because of the actions BC took against UConn in joining the ACC.
That decision has become the thorn in their side.

Reaction Score
given that Rutgers has gone 150 years without dropping or downgrading football

From 1869 till 1980 Rutgers did just fine in football playing comparable schools. Thus it's tough for them to downgrade during that period when they didn't upgrade till 35 years ago, and really not seriously until 15 years ago with Schiano's hiring. The future remains to be seen, obviously. They have their work cut out for them in the B1G East.

Reaction Score
From 1869 till 1980 Rutgers did just fine in football playing comparable schools. Thus it's tough for them to downgrade during that period when they didn't upgrade till 35 years ago, and really not seriously until 15 years ago with Schiano's hiring. The future remains to be seen, obviously. They have their work cut out for them in the B1G East.

1. If you think that Princeton and Colgate are "comparable schools" to the flagship state university of New Jersey -- LMFAO. That right there says it all.

2. If you weren't going to address the dumpster fire that is Rutgers University basketball-- or Rutgers athletics (how many championships in everything have you won again?) -- why would you bother responding?

I don't hate Rutgers or New Jersey, but when your programs are as bad as they are at the moment let me give you some advice -- accept that you are going to be the butt of jokes and don't waste everyone's time with lame attempts to defend the indefensible.

Reaction Score
My daughter is being recruited by BC in another sport. I was up in Boston and had several discussion with the locals about this thinking they would say, "That's great!" or something along those lines. Instead I got this universal answer in all cases. To paraphrase, "BC sucks. Why would she want to go there!??" And these were Bostonians saying this! For the record, she doesn't want to go to BC.

You might have been better served talking to actual BC students rather than "locals". There can be no question that Boston is a superb college city, so the only real issue is the quality of the education offered.

Reaction Score
1. If you think that Princeton and Colgate are "comparable schools" to the flagship state university of New Jersey -- LMFAO. That right there says it all.

2. If you weren't going to address the dumpster fire that is Rutgers University basketball-- or Rutgers athletics (how many championships in everything have you won again?) -- why would you bother responding?

I don't hate Rutgers or New Jersey, but when your programs are as bad as they are at the moment let me give you some advice -- accept that you are going to be the butt of jokes and don't waste everyone's time with lame attempts to defend the indefensible.

You obviously know nothing about Rutgers history. Until the early 70's it was a male only school with about 4,000 students which played regionally against the Yankee Conference, Ivy League, Colgate, BU, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Gettysburg, etc. Few scholarships, no spring practice, etc etc etc. It was never my intention to defend current Rutgers basketball, only to correct your ignorance about Rutgers history. For an alleged lawyer you should have a better grasp of the facts.

The fear surrounding your program appears to be clouding your objectivity, and I certainly see no reason to accept advice from you. LMFAO

Reaction Score
While I do not think BC would ever voluntarily downgrade athletics, I think it is time for the ACC to seriously consider kicking them out. It is not like they are Wake Forest or one of their long-time members. The ACC gave BC a chance and they have failed miserably to deliver.

If you are the ACC, I do not see how it would not make sense to add UConn and drop BC. Taking into consideration nobody born after 1990 even knows who Doug Flutie is, football is at worst comparable with UConn trending up and BC trending down and in basketball UConn is on another universe.

On the other hand, UConn would give the ACC more of a NYC presence than BC currently even gets in Boston.

Other than it's physical location, BCU has a presence in Boston ?? Who knew ?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not to mention a scandal plagued athletic department that kept those in power during it long after they should have been let go, not to mention questionable hires. Speaks to corruption in other areas of the administration as well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Other than it's physical location, BCU has a presence in Boston ?? Who knew ?

Yeah, it has none. As someone mentioned above, most Bostonians dislike BC and their students.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You might have been better served talking to actual BC students rather than "locals". There can be no question that Boston is a superb college city, so the only real issue is the quality of the education offered.
Well, I would have if I was on campus asking about the school. The point of my comments is that BC wants to be New England's school when the local community doesn't even support it.

Reaction Score
BCU got an inflated sense of what they were. Under Skinner, they were what they had always been. A fairly competitive program, that would occasionally have a big season or two, mixed in with the occasional horrible season, but mostly mid level in whatever conference they played in. They somehow got the idea that they could be a major player, and it's blown up in their faces.

Reaction Score
The backdrop to all of this is the state of the economy, middle class incomes, & the coming demographic of college applicants for the next 10-15 years. While the population increase will bring back applicants in 15 years, the baby-boom-boom is over. Private colleges are in a bad spot, and increasingly so are public schools. Can BC even afford to field good athletic teams?
I don't think that's currently relevant at BCU. They just announced a massive $200M+ facilities upgrade and have at least a portion of that funding in hand. So these articles came out pretty quickly after that announcement = I think alumni kind of peeved at what they've done/will do with the money. Plus I think they are top-50 in endowment, definitely have huge wealthy alumni base. Unfortunately all this means they aren't voluntarily leaving the ACC & getting booted seems unlikely.

http://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/ath...ews/athletics-facilities-plans-announced.html

Reaction Score
I don't think that's currently relevant at BCU. They just announced a massive $200M+ facilities upgrade and have at least a portion of that funding in hand. So these articles came out pretty quickly after that announcement = I think alumni kind of peeved at what they've done/will do with the money. Plus I think they are top-50 in endowment, definitely have huge wealthy alumni base. Unfortunately all this means they aren't voluntarily leaving the ACC & getting booted seems unlikely.

http://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/ath...ews/athletics-facilities-plans-announced.html

BC is not leaving the ACC as they are a very greedy bunch and would run over anyone for a crumb. That much is proven. But the comments section is priceless.

Some poster says that BC is "The Duke of New England" LOL! I hope Duke isn't insulted.

BC is more like the "Little Marco Rubio of New England"

Reaction Score
You obviously know nothing about Rutgers history. Until the early 70's it was a male only school with about 4,000 students which played regionally against the Yankee Conference, Ivy League, Colgate, BU, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Gettysburg, etc. Few scholarships, no spring practice, etc etc etc. It was never my intention to defend current Rutgers basketball, only to correct your ignorance about Rutgers history. For an alleged lawyer you should have a better grasp of the facts.

The fear surrounding your program appears to be clouding your objectivity, and I certainly see no reason to accept advice from you. LMFAO

Rutgers has a funky history and its structure pre-1980 or so more resembled an Ivy League school with very distinct and separate colleges within the university, which became a state university in the later 1940's. While the 'original' Rutgers 'school' did not admit women until 1970, Rutger Women's College was formed in 1918 and was part of the greater 'university.' Most of the separate college structure within Rutgers ceased in the early 2000 when the liberal arts programs of those distinct schools, such as Rutgers and Livingston, were centralized within Rutgers University.

Objective enough?

Reaction Score

Just as a FYI, the plans for many of the projects covered under this proposal, such as baseball, softball, and new rec fields have been around for a while; but, BC has not moved forward with any of it, especially the contentious issues of getting any such building programs approved by Boston and Newton. Those folks would put Mansfield residents to shame. Plus, no one seems to know where the money for the indoor football facility is coming from. I spoke to some BC friends of mine and they think its a PR attempt to distract everyone from the football and basketball team records.

Reaction Score

Our worst fears are your reality. I wouldn't laugh too hard...

Reaction Score
Well, I would have if I was on campus asking about the school. The point of my comments is that BC wants to be New England's school when the local community doesn't even support it.

Understood. I just hope prospective students don't conflate a school's athletic success with the quality of its academic programs.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has a funky history and its structure pre-1980 or so more resembled an Ivy League school with very distinct and separate colleges within the university, which became a state university in the later 1940's. While the 'original' Rutgers 'school' did not admit women until 1970, Rutger Women's College was formed in 1918 and was part of the greater 'university.' Most of the separate college structure within Rutgers ceased in the early 2000 when the liberal arts programs of those distinct schools, such as Rutgers and Livingston, were centralized within Rutgers University.

Objective enough?

Absolutely.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our worst fears are your reality. I wouldn't laugh too hard...
Our reality is bowl games and bids to the Big Dance. Yours is being a national punchline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom