Bost Globe:Invites held back because Marinatto wants to merge with MWC and CUSA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bost Globe:Invites held back because Marinatto wants to merge with MWC and CUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The idea that the season ending 'conference regular season' game won't be determined (location or opponent) until a week before that game is a bit insane. Add to the the idea that you may be matching two schools who played three home games each (or four each) making the decision on who gets the home field for this game (unless there are designated neutral sites for these games, which could lead to different issues) very interesting.

The matchups between the non division winners would also be quite interesting as it would (as 9999 stated) be an opportunity to create bowl bid opportunities (which I imagine would be ridiculed throughout the college football world).

The other day Marinatto was quoted as saying that a 19 team conference would be ideal for basketball as every member would play each other once. This is evidence beyond anything possible that he (and possibly others within leadership positions of this conference) are clueless as to what a conference actually is. It is not merely a group of schools who out of convenience agree to at times face each other in a stray athletic contest. What he is attempting to build is ND- USC & ND-Navy on a massive scale. It doesn't work this way. It will be a conference in name only, yet he wonders why schools want to leave.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Additionally, it appears that Marinatto doesn't mind being the guy who finally killed the WAC.

Reaction Score
We should have left the basketball schools a long time ago. Fools.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The World Cup Soccer variation assumes the lower tier schools will do a 16 or 32 team similar format for non-BCS bowls

The BCS after this expansion round (62 teams). The 32-team playoff accounts for 94 teams. That leaves 30 teams (as of 2013) in unaffilaited including the ND, Army, BYU, and Navy; MAC, Sun Belt and 4 newbies including UMess .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
32 teams competing for 1 BCS slot, maybe 2 if we are lucky... not exactly favorable odds, that. Which kind of sucks.

Sure is thinking outside the box. Does a playoff for a BCS spot strengthen or weaken the BCS? (I'd love for it to be torn down, personally)

Not sure what else to say on it until more details come out.

Reaction Score
The Big East has no chance of competing doing things the same way as the majors. It has to change its product. Apple didn't try harder to make desktop PC's when it was struggling to compete in that market, it made computer-based devices and is now one of the most valuable companies in the world.

I thought the big east being improved with the loss of Sara/sPitt? Now there's no way it can compete?

The problem with your analogy is that apple actually makes quality products, not just "different" products. I don't care how different we do things, we don't get better by getting worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
32 teams competing for 1 BCS slot, maybe 2 if we are lucky... not exactly favorable odds, that. Which kind of sucks.

Sure is thinking outside the box. Does a playoff for a BCS spot strengthen or weaken the BCS? (I'd love for it to be torn down, personally)

Not sure what else to say on it until more details come out.

That's why i think we should not bother to compete for the BCS bowls. Do an 8 or 12 team playoff between the non-AQ leagues. If you want to force a playoff, stop legitimizing BCS bowls.

Reaction Score
We should have merged with the Mountain West before CUSA did. That's what I had called for numerous times. The Big East is always a day late and a dollar short.

Reaction Score
That's why i think we should not bother to compete for the BCS bowls. Do an 8 or 12 team playoff between the non-AQ leagues. If you want to force a playoff, stop legitimizing BCS bowls.
Yeah, the FCS schools don't bother competing for BCS bowls either, why don't we just downgrade and go back to playing regional teams at Memorial.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
It is an NIT tournment for football if done in the World Cup Soccer format that posiitons the winner for a New Years Day game..

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I just worry that it would have all the status of crowning an NIT champion.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Ultimately the quesiton is whether a 9-1 UConn team against a 10-0 Nevada is a better TV draw than a 3-4 UConn against a 3-4 USF and if the playoffs can grab some national games when it gets to the round of 8.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just worry that it would have all the status of crowning an NIT champion.

The NIT's problem is there is a playoff ahead of it. This Playoff would have a bunch of meaningless exhibition games ahead of it, that select teams based on a popularity contest.

Reaction Score
Assuming that Plan A is to get out of here, this is not a bad Plan E, if Plans B, C and D fail. Quite honestly, if this is the worst outcome, I could live with this.

Reaction Score
This isn't a bad plan. It destroys UConn football recruiting. It cripples UConn's football TV dollars by sharing them with non-schools. It preserves BE basketball.

...signed, Providence.

Reaction Score
#BegHarder

I thought you were a proponent of adding schools to the Big East. This sounds like #GrovelMore.
Are you into S&M or something? The worse it gets, the more you like it.

Reaction Score
It's the Globe so I won't put too much stock into this.

This story is too out there for consideration.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The problem with your analogy is that apple actually makes quality products, not just "different" products. I don't care how different we do things, we don't get better by getting worse.
Additionally Apple was bleeding money for about a dozen years until the iMac hit the market (which took an influx of capital from Microsoft of ll people) and didn't start improving in value as a company (in terms of share price) until nearly a half dozen years later when the IPod was introduced. Their share price has expoded over the past eight years but it took nearly two decades of wallowing between nearly going under and barely getting by before this happened. Apple didn't begin making different products in 1998. They were making different products from shortly before the 1984/Big Brother Super Bowl ad. It just took (with the great assistance of many trechnological advances) until 1998 for the market to move towards some of the products Apple was introducing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ultimately the quesiton is whether a 9-1 UConn team against a 10-0 Nevada is a better TV draw than a 3-4 UConn against a 3-4 USF and if the playoffs can grab some national games when it gets to the round of 8.

I am not sure on your comparison. The better comp would be a 10-2 Nevada playing an 8-4 UConn in a first round Playoff game the second week of December where the winner moves on vs. an Independence Bowl matchup between 6-6 Kentucky and 7-5 Texas Tech in a game played in the middle of nowhere where the winner gets...a bowl or something.

The Playoff will at worst carve out a niche, and will enable the Big East to compete without the artificial construct of a BCS system that is completely stacked against it. The SEC and other leagues are trying to grind out the non-AQ's and now the Big East. Staying in that system makes it easier for them to do so.

Reaction Score
All that needs to be done is to create a "minor" BCS bowl game. We would get a major BCS bid and then the additional "minor" game gets filled with the bottom of the BCS qualifiers giving us a shot at 2 bids.

Of course that's dependent on the BCS folks giving a rat's ass

That game would have a $10 mill payout instead of $17 mill.

This all but eliminates congress getting involved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Additionally Apple was bleeding money for about a dozen years until the iMac hit the market (which took an influx of capital from Microsoft of ll people) and didn't start improving in value as a company (in terms of share price) until nearly a half dozen years later when the IPod was introduced. Their share price has expoded over the past eight years but it took nearly two decades of wallowing between nearly going under and barely getting by before this happened. Apple didn't begin making different products in 1998. They were making different products from shortly before the 1984/Big Brother Super Bowl ad. It just took (with the great assistance of many trechnological advances) until 1998 for the market to move towards some of the products Apple was introducing.

We all know that you like to attack my posts. I don't need another post from you to learn that. You have a solution other than #BegHarder?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I actually like this plan - since its for football only. Keeps basketball eastern and keeps AQ status for football. It really isnt a bad idea

looks like some overlooked that "football conference" part

we have 27 months, options will present itself

Nobody likes the uncertainty, but at least some of us are not all about doom and gloom

at the end of the day we'll be fine, and I think a lot of people will have wasted an awful lot of angst

Reaction Score
The thought of recruiting head to head with San Jose St scares the out of me.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is unless the other AQ conferences are done expanding this is just temporary and most of the remaining BE fb schools will be going somewhere else within 5 years.

Maybe sooner so we don't go too far south and be a very weak addition to the remaining conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom