Borges Scholarship Situation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Borges Scholarship Situation

Reaction Score
So we're going to burn a scholarship next year on a team with a huge hole for a guy who was a roughly top-20ish player in the Mountain West? Ntambwe is a solid player, but he's not a superstar. He was the third-best player on a mediocre team. He shot 41% from the floor (42% from 2). I'd certainly love to add him, having three dead scholarships on one team is unnecessary.
Doesn't need to be Ntambwe, though he's the top of my list. If my options are Ntambwe or having 4 years tied up in Coleman or Issanza along with 2 years of Whaley then yes, I prefer option A of Ntambwe. I have no interest in another project not unless he's replacing the one we have

pj

Reaction Score
On talent maybe, but it's also Whaley's third year of college and second in Hurley's system which I think would make up for any talent disparity for a big coming in

Whaley had chances to play toward the end of the year and frustrated the coaches because he didn't know the plays. He's an illustration of Ollie's penchant for recruiting dumb players. He had a full year under Hurley and couldn't justify 3 minutes per game on an injury riddled team. It won't take new players more than a few months to pass him by.

Reaction Score
Whaley had chances to play toward the end of the year and frustrated the coaches because he didn't know the plays. He's an illustration of Ollie's penchant for recruiting dumb players. He had a full year under Hurley and couldn't justify 3 minutes per game on an injury riddled team. It won't take new players more than a few months to pass him by.
Like I said, I don't expect him to be good. I'm just 100% against wasting another scholarship on a project big and would prefer Whaley standing out there 10 minutes a night

Reaction Score
Like I said, I don't expect him to be good. I'm just 100% against wasting another scholarship on a project big and would prefer Whaley standing out there 10 minutes a night

Brimah and Carlton were both "project bigs" who have provided a lot of value. A lot of high-major teams bring in guys like Coleman and get production from them. Look at the Rivals C rankings. The guys around Coleman are going to Xavier, Pitt, South Carolina, Minnesota, Georgetown, Penn, Ole Miss, Utah, Alabama, Syracuse, and Texas Tech.

Reaction Score
I understand you don't want to tie up another scholarship. But its not just going to be 10 minutes of someone standing out there. I'm all for Carlton taking a step forward next year but there will be games with foul trouble, just doesn't have it that day, gameplan where you will need a couple of guys to be adequate.

Reaction Score
Brimah and Carlton were both "project bigs" who have provided a lot of value. A lot of high-major teams bring in guys like Coleman and get production from them. Look at the Rivals C rankings. The guys around Coleman are going to Xavier, Pitt, South Carolina, Minnesota, Georgetown, Penn, Ole Miss, Utah, Alabama, Syracuse, and Texas Tech.
Of course, and project bigs sometimes work out. In theory, sure take the chance. But I'm not so willing when we already have Whaley taking up a scholarship. And I'd much rather deal with this for a year when we're not going to be great regardless and get Cliff in 2020

Reaction Score
i'm "all in" on Ntambwe! I know we will be short on bigs next year, but honestly, next year's team isn't going anywhere anyway. I would rather build for 2020, we should have a really solid team that year and going forward(as long as Hurley continues to recruit well). I know it will be tough to endure another season with no postseason, but we are on the brink of returning UConn back to greatness.

Reaction Score
i'm "all in" on Ntambwe! I know we will be short on bigs next year, but honestly, next year's team isn't going anywhere anyway. I would rather build for 2020, we should have a really solid team that year and going forward(as long as Hurley continues to recruit well). I know it will be tough to endure another season with no postseason, but we are on the brink of returning UConn back to greatness.

Unless we are decimated by injuries it would almost be inexcusable to not at least make the NIT this year. I think we sneak into the ncaa tournament. But yes, the following season we will be a top team

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tough situation for the staff no doubt. How do you say no to a talent like Ntambwe? I mean if you're assure he can play immediately with a waiver it's a no brainer, throw out the need for a back up just play small at times with more talent on the floor. If he is slated to sit out a year still something to think about. I am sure the plan was to be very relevant again in 20-21 and that is starting to look achievable, this would help for sure.

But as said above there's a chance things could still be very good this coming year but they still need some help. Not sure what's available trumps what can be had for next year at this point though. This why they get paid the big bucks, decisions like this for sure. I'm all in with what the staff leans to, interesting to say the least now. Cole was a huge win whether AG stays or goes at this point. Backcourt is looking really good and explosive.

I think he’s being wildly overrated. He put up big scoring numbers on a bad team, but was very inefficient. Aside from rebounds and taking way more shots, he doesn’t look like a dramatic upgrade on Polley to me. Three point shooting is similar and Polley was more effective from 2. Ntambwe was better at getting to the line.

We are relevant right now in 19-20.

Reaction Score
I think he’s being wildly overrated. He put up big scoring numbers on a bad team, but was very inefficient. Aside from rebounds and taking way more shots, he doesn’t look like a dramatic upgrade on Polley to me. Three point shooting is similar and Polley was more effective from 2. Ntambwe was better at getting to the line.

Was not inefficient.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Give me Ntambwe (sitting a year) + Whaley as backup over Issanza (immediately eligible) + Whaley as bench warmer. You can make it work for a year to make your roster significantly better moving forward.
My only concern is how much more losing will the fan base take? Another losing season could be disastrous for a AD already with money issues. Most fans do not follow the program closely enough to know that this appears to be a 2 year plan.

Reaction Score

Ntambwe is a lot better than Polley.

Reaction Score
I understand you don't want to tie up another scholarship. But its not just going to be 10 minutes of someone standing out there. I'm all for Carlton taking a step forward next year but there will be games with foul trouble, just doesn't have it that day, gameplan where you will need a couple of guys to be adequate.
Carlton is not the answer on a top 5 team. Aren't we looking to get back there?

Reaction Score
Carlton is not the answer on a top 5 team. Aren't we looking to get back there?
And Amidah Brimah or Jake Voskul were before? Come on! Besides Emeka Okafor UCONN hasn''t had this great Center that people want to brag about. Even Alex O. who was rated high didn't have a distinguished career at UCONN. We have been built around great guards and wing players. That will probably be our identity going forward.

Not sure why people are so down on Josh Carlton. He had a great year considering we had no big guys to take the pressure off him last year. He definitely has more post moves than what we are use to at the Center position. I guess people are down on him because he might not be athletic enough to play in the NBA. I feel that is silly.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was not inefficient.

41% from the field on very high volume is inefficient.
The 5 boards are nice. His eFG% was 48.5%. Tyler was 54%. Tyler has a higher Ortg per 100 possessions. I’m not saying he’s better than Ntambwe. I’m saying it’s a lot closer than people think.

Joel doesn’t play a position of need, isn’t a star and can’t help next year.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a starting 5. He improved more than any other player on the team last season and gained a lot of confidence. I’m really looking forward to seeing him after another year with Sal. I expect him to be one of the better bigs in the AAC.

Carlton was 7th in the AAC in PER, 17th in WS/40. On a rate basis, he was a more valuable player than Ntambwe despite playing a more difficult schedule. Carlton, but for his foul issues, is not going to be our problem next year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My only concern is how much more losing will the fan base take? Another losing season could be disastrous for a AD already with money issues. Most fans do not follow the program closely enough to know that this appears to be a 2 year plan.

I don't think the backup center is going to be the difference between this team being good or bad, especially since Carlton is probably going to be one of our two or three best players and should play the vast majority of the minutes each night when he's not in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I do not think Coleman is a project big. All big players take a little time to work in as contributors, learn not to foul, etc. but I think he is a surefire contributor who can have the advantage of backup minutes now and step up as the future starter. I don't think we would be tying up a scholarship for 4 years on a marginal player. As I said in the thread about him, in 2016 he was projected to be an impact player at the highest level of D1 along with Delaire, and Akok.

Reaction Score
And Amidah Brimah or Jake Voskul were before? Come on! Besides Emeka Okafor UCONN hasn''t had this great Center that people want to brag about. Even Alex O. who was rated high didn't have a distinguished career at UCONN. We have been built around great guards and wing players. That will probably be our identity going forward.

Not sure why people are so down on Josh Carlton. He had a great year considering we had no big guys to take the pressure off him last year. He definitely has more post moves than what we are use to at the Center position. I guess people are down on him because he might not be athletic enough to play in the NBA. I feel that is silly.
Carlton is a starting 5. He improved more than any other player on the team last season and gained a lot of confidence. I’m really looking forward to seeing him after another year with Sal. I expect him to be one of the better bigs in the AAC.
I hope you both are right. I really do. To my mind Jake was better. Josh improved no doubt. I want to eat crow on this one for sure. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Another factor in this: out of all positions in basketball, I think centers tend to have the most parity amongst projection out of high school and performance in the NCAA.

One example: look at the top centers in the '05 247 rankings: Skal Labissiere, Diamond Stone, Steven Zimmermann, Caleb Swanigan, Chance Comanche, Daniel Giddens, Tyler Davis. Out of that group, Swanigan is the only guy who had a truly impressive college career.

That same year you have guys like Fall, Carvacho, Alexander, Koumadje found much later in the rankings.

Reaction Score
I hope you both are right. I really do. To my mind Jake was better. Josh improved no doubt. I want to eat crow on this one for sure. We shall see.
A difference of opinion but imo Josh was much better as a soph than Jake. Look for Carlton to come back stronger with a little jumper to add to his arsenal. He’s still only 20 with lots of upside.

Reaction Score
Another factor in this: out of all positions in basketball, I think centers tend to have the most parity amongst projection out of high school and performance in the NCAA.

One example: look at the top centers in the '05 247 rankings: Skal Labissiere, Diamond Stone, Steven Zimmermann, Caleb Swanigan, Chance Comanche, Daniel Giddens, Tyler Davis. Out of that group, Swanigan is the only guy who had a truly impressive college career.

That same year you have guys like Fall, Carvacho, Alexander, Koumadje found much later in the rankings.
This might be the best point Ive seen when it comes to big men. Most of those guys were so highly touted and made little to no impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom