Borges Scholarship Situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges Scholarship Situation

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
It does sound crazy but you have to respect saving the scholarship. Reaching on a guy that doesn't pan out is far worse. Its partially to blame for getting us in this mess in the first place.

Agree, and I'll note that our self-imposed sanctioned has us saving one scholarship already.

Reaction Score
Give me Ntambwe (sitting a year) + Whaley as backup over Issanza (immediately eligible) + Whaley as bench warmer. You can make it work for a year to make your roster significantly better moving forward.
I agree. Carlton was playing 26 MPG in conference play. You can ask Whaley to cover those 14 minutes with his 5 fouls. I'd imagine we will see Akok playing the 5 in short stints as well. Let's get the talent to convince AG to give us two more years. Lesser versions of Amida Brimah aren't the answer.

Reaction Score
Give me Ntambwe (sitting a year) + Whaley as backup over Issanza (immediately eligible) + Whaley as bench warmer. You can make it work for a year to make your roster significantly better moving forward.
I am in total agreement. Was hoping for a grad transfer to back up Carlton, but would rather have Whaley with an additional open scholly for 2020 that can be used on a more talented big. The concern is a Carlton injury, but I would take the gamble with Carlton, Whaley, Akok.

Reaction Score
I am in total agreement. Was hoping for a grad transfer to back up Carlton, but would rather have Whaley with an additional open scholly for 2020 that can be used on a more talented big. The concern is a Carlton injury, but I would take the gamble with Carlton, Whaley, Akok.

Yeah the injury scares the crap out of me. (But remember I am a Yankee fan and we see what's happening there lol) Add AG and his luck to these thoughts and uh oh, playing with 8 schollie players isn't good.

Reaction Score
And what happens when Carlton gets 2 fouls in the first 8 minutes and a third on the first trip of the second half? I cannot talk myself into Whaley as an adequate back-up. He couldn't beat out Eric "How do you hedge on screens?" Cobb for minutes even after Yakwe went down. I understand the theory of getting the best player available but we need another post body for next year.

Reaction Score
Ntambwe had a coach canned, & didn’t he mention a sick family member when announcing his intent to transfer? Isn’t the family member enough to potentially get the waiver for next year?

Reaction Score
And what happens when Carlton gets 2 fouls in the first 8 minutes and a third on the first trip of the second half? I cannot talk myself into Whaley as an adequate back-up. He couldn't beat out Eric "How do you hedge on screens?" Cobb for minutes even after Yakwe went down. I understand the theory of getting the best player available but we need another post body for next year.
Would you rather be average next year and good the following year, or medicore next year and potentially really good the following year? That's basically what it boils down to.

Reaction Score
Would you rather be average next year and good the following year, or medicore next year and potentially really good the following year? That's basically what it boils down to.
I understand what your saying but nothing is guaranteed and I don't want to mail in another year. What if Akok puts a year in and leaves? If Rique doesn't feel like a 5th year in college? If minutes hierarchy is defined this year and someone transfers? There are just too many what if's for me to put all my chips in 2020-21 at the cost of this year.

Reaction Score
I understand what your saying but nothing is guaranteed and I don't want to mail in another year. What if Akok puts a year in and leaves? If Rique doesn't feel like a 5th year in college? If minutes hierarchy is defined this year and someone transfers? There are just too many what if's for me to put all my chips in 2020-21 at the cost of this year.
I get it but if we're playing that game, what if we sign a leftover big and they're a dud? There's no guarantee anyone will be better than Whaley

Reaction Score
I get it but if we're playing that game, what if we sign a leftover big and they're a dud? There's no guarantee anyone will be better than Whaley
True. Your right. I would take a chance though to have another body down low available this year.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Bones' game, a big would be big.
I've talked myself into thinking Whaley can be more than serviceable for us. He started our season opener and played well before injuring his ankle, which for all we know could've hindered him all year. He provides energy, rebounding and blocked shots. I'll take it.

Reaction Score
how sure are you that if we want the kid from UNLV he will commit?

Reaction Score
Ntambwe had a coach canned, & didn’t he mention a sick family member when announcing his intent to transfer? Isn’t the family member enough to potentially get the waiver for next year?

It's definitely enough to try!

Reaction Score
Nobody left at this point is giving us more than Whaley can at the 5 next year. Anyone left like Issanza and Coleman is a project who at best gives us what Whaley can in bursts or we're screwed if Carlton goes down

Reaction Score
Nobody left at this point is giving us more than Whaley can at the 5 next year. Anyone left like Issanza and Coleman is a project who at best gives us what Whaley can in bursts or we're screwed if Carlton goes down

Whaley couldn't get minutes ahead of Cobb last year. I wouldn't be so sure that a 200ish guy wouldn't outplay him next year.

Reaction Score
I've talked myself into thinking Whaley can be more than serviceable for us. He started our season opener and played well before injuring his ankle, which for all we know could've hindered him all year. He provides energy, rebounding and blocked shots. I'll take it.

He should have played more last season. I've been a porkchop guy for since the Ollie era though so maybe I'm just crazy.

I do admire him for staying positive and ready all season though while most likely being really pissed on the inside.

Reaction Score
Whaley couldn't get minutes ahead of Cobb last year. I wouldn't be so sure that a 200ish guy wouldn't outplay him next year.
On talent maybe, but it's also Whaley's third year of college and second in Hurley's system which I think would make up for any talent disparity for a big coming in

Reaction Score
On talent maybe, but it's also Whaley's third year of college and second in Hurley's system which I think would make up for any talent disparity for a big coming in

You guys will say absolutely anything to talk yourselves into believing non-contributing players are suddenly going to become contributors. It's possible that Whaley suddenly becomes a viable backup center, but it would be a pretty big surprise. Adding a decent 7-footer like Coleman makes it far more likely that we're not getting ruined if Carlton hits foul trouble. It's not a guarantee, but it puts us in a better situation.

Reaction Score
You guys will say absolutely anything to talk yourselves into believing non-contributing players are suddenly going to become contributors. It's possible that Whaley suddenly becomes a viable backup center, but it would be a pretty big surprise. Adding a decent 7-footer like Coleman makes it far more likely that we're not getting ruined if Carlton hits foul trouble. It's not a guarantee, but it puts us in a better situation.
I think you're missing my point. I don't think Whaley is going to be good, or even much of a contributor, I just don't care about that as a backup 5 next year. I want the best player and don't want another scholarship tied up in a project big like Coleman or Issanza. I'd rather recruit talent and keep a spot open for a legitimate big man in 2020.

As others have said, next year is not at all about winning for me. It's about setting up for 2020

Reaction Score
I think you're missing my point. I don't think Whaley is going to be good, or even much of a contributor, I just don't care about that as a backup 5 next year. I want the best player and don't want another scholarship tied up in a project big like Coleman or Issanza. I'd rather recruit talent and keep a spot open for a legitimate big man in 2020.

As others have said, next year is not at all about winning for me. It's about setting up for 2020

So we're going to burn a scholarship next year on a team with a huge hole for a guy who was a roughly top-20ish player in the Mountain West? Ntambwe is a solid player, but he's not a superstar. He was the third-best player on a mediocre team. He shot 41% from the floor (42% from 2). I'd certainly love to add him, having three dead scholarships on one team is unnecessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom