Borges: Roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season

Reaction Score
It’s probably an overreaction, but I really thought it spoke volumes that KO didn’t want anyone to have eyes on our practices.
UConn tv announcers (many) talked constantly about being at practices and how impressed they were.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
People won't want to hear it, but Hurley has left himself open for criticism regardless of how the Heron thing plays out. If you boot a kid to make room, you come off as hypocritical. If you never gave him a look, it begs the question of why you filled all your open scholarships with marginal players. "We're focusing on 2019" is and will continue to be a cop out. This team is a player or two away from winning big, now, and it isn't hard to see. Pandering to the fan base with vain references to culture might work for a bit, but if it's at the expense of the opportunity right before your eyes, you might come to regret it when the patience of those same people inevitably wears.
Hurley comes off as pretty genuine when saying he wants everyone to stay. He could go the approach of trying to push players away and improve specific roster spots immediately.
Or build a culture of togetherness, family, and the idea of "you are welcome here if you buy in to what I'm doing", even if that means a rough 2018-19 season.
The latter will take more time, but ultimately have a greater reward. Players don't want to come here if Hurley were to have a history of seeing players as expendable. Players want to come to an environment where they are embraced and are a part of a culture.
It's a pretty good selling point in the future, recruiting-wise, that Hurley was able to keep 100% of the roster together after the chaos that has ensued over the last year or so.
Just like how he said last night that he had the opportunity to leave URI, I believe, after EC Matthews tore his ACL. But he didn't feel right leaving his player hanging like that- a guy he felt loyal to.
If you buy in to Hurley, he will have the utmost loyalty to you. And imo, that's the best way to build a successful college basketball program.

Reaction Score
You see a lot of morons in high school coaching. Poor role models, guys who don't want to work hard, etc.

I am probably the opposite. My fundamentals and reaching kids, getting them to play b to the w is excellent generally. But my Xs and Os (particularly late-game) is so-so right now.
Awesome. I’m. Pretty much the greatest high school coach myself.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I was glad to hear him talking about conditioning and practice intensity. For a long while, no one out worked out toughed a UConn team. It sounds as if we are getting back to that.

Exactly! When was the last time a player puked during the first practice? When was the last time we ran the box-out drill until someone keeled over?

Reaction Score
People won't want to hear it, but Hurley has left himself open for criticism regardless of how the Heron thing plays out. If you boot a kid to make room, you come off as hypocritical. If you never gave him a look, it begs the question of why you filled all your open scholarships with marginal players. "We're focusing on 2019" is and will continue to be a cop out. This team is a player or two away from winning big, now, and it isn't hard to see. Pandering to the fan base with vain references to culture might work for a bit, but if it's at the expense of the opportunity right before your eyes, you might come to regret it when the patience of those same people inevitably wears.
You're trying way too hard.

Reaction Score
All of my practices are closed at the hs level. No parents, friends, teachers, GFs, etc. allowed.
interesting. I only played outdoor sports so maybe that has something to do with it, but there was always a crowd of parents/friends/girlfriends hanging around

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is absurd. You can't complain about Hurley taking Brendan Adams when we're short of point guards. Then Yakwe and Tarin filled needs and the grad transfer route makes sense given how much promise there is in the 2019 class and the slim pickings in 2018. You don't know that a Heron will become available, and you have to take quality players, which is what he did.

A reputation for treating players well is worth more than 1-2 years of Mustapha Heron. I'm happy Hurley is doing the right thing.

And you know this quality to be a fact?
KO got roasted by many for going the grad xfer route and for shooting for the elite - but to be a player in the top program game you have to get the elite caliber players. KO struck out and when you strike out you have failed
Heron is proven quality, the guys you refer to are not proven nor have the grads proven to be reliable vs quality comp
I'll take 1-2 years of Heron vs "reputation for treating players well" - whatever that means - JC would in a heartbeat

You may not agree with Champs but his statements are not absurd.
DH is a really good get for UConn but I also see that he is playing a risky game of keeping all that want to stay vs getting the best available out there. I also think he is going to be frustrated in the number of quality players who will not play at UConn - not because of UConn or because of DH- but because of the AAC - KO found that to be the most frustrating aspect of recruiting.
IMHO if Heron even shows a glimpse of desire to play in Storrs and DH looks the other way because "he wants to treat his current players well" I will be disappointed in his decision making. To be among the best when you are playing with a distraction (AAC) you have to get the best parts for your machine.

Reaction Score
Usually people who can see both sides of an argument don’t then complain about both.

I'm not. I said at the time he should have chosen between Adams and Smith. You tie all your scholarships up in long-term payoffs and then you're stuck between a rock and a hard place when something like this comes down the pipe.

Reaction Score
I'm not. I said at the time he should have chosen between Adams and Smith. You tie all your scholarships up in long-term payoffs and then you're stuck between a rock and a hard place when something like this comes down the pipe.
We haven't had enough depth for years and now you're complaining that we finally filled out a roster.

Reaction Score
Dumb. I think blaming Hurley for getting or not getting Heron is the exact reason people think some fans are nuts.
You are speculating, and then reacting to that speculation as if it's reality.
He's done nothing, and yet you've created a storyline that he's either ignored Heron or kicked another kid off.
Maybe he spoke to him and he said I'm going to St John's.
You are right, I don't want to hear it

Reaction Score
This is absurd. You can't complain about Hurley taking Brendan Adams when we're short of point guards. Then Yakwe and Tarin filled needs and the grad transfer route makes sense given how much promise there is in the 2019 class and the slim pickings in 2018. You don't know that a Heron will become available, and you have to take quality players, which is what he did.

A reputation for treating players well is worth more than 1-2 years of Mustapha Heron. I'm happy Hurley is doing the right thing.

We're not short on point guards. Jalen and Gilbert will soak up virtually all of the minutes there. Vital and Smith are capable of filling in if Gilbert gets hurt.

And before you tell me Vital and Smith aren't point guards, keep in mind Brendan Adams averaged three assists per game in high school. He may not play a minute of point guard next year.

Brendan Adams may have a great career, but he's a player we can get at any time. He could have banked that scholarship and given a player like this a chance to fall into our laps. And if he's that serious about building a culture that lasts beyond this season, he could have chosen between Smith and Yakwe.

Reaction Score
This is a battle between champs and gtcam to see who can post the more ridiculous nonsense. Not going to get into how dumb these posts are other than to say Heron wasn't coming here even if Calhoun was our coach.

Champs, when the only person who agrees with you is gtcam you have to look inward and make adjustments.

pj

Reaction Score
We're not short on point guards. Jalen and Gilbert will soak up virtually all of the minutes there. Vital and Smith are capable of filling in if Gilbert gets hurt.

And before you tell me Vital and Smith aren't point guards, keep in mind Brendan Adams averaged three assists per game in high school. He may not play a minute of point guard next year.

Brendan Adams may have a great career, but he's a player we can get at any time. He could have banked that scholarship and given a player like this a chance to fall into our laps. And if he's that serious about building a culture that lasts beyond this season, he could have chosen between Smith and Yakwe.

Jalen is going to be playing alongside a point guard. Alterique and Tarin Smith will split most of that time. Vital and Adams will get time in 3 guard situations.

The fact is we were overloaded with forwards and wings, and short of guards and rim protectors. We had Alterique (injury risk), Jalen, and Christian. We needed two more guards. He got them in Tarin and Brendan. He couldn't afford to enter the season with only 4 guards and you don't know Heron is going to become available when you have to decide on Tarin and Brendan. Even if you suspected Heron would become available, you don't know he will choose UConn, or be eligible next year. We also needed Yakwe for rim protection. So he had no luxury to bank a scholarship.

You are being a result merchant and arguing with hindsight. No coach in the world, at the time Hurley had to make his commitments, would have turned down Brendan, Tarin, or Kassoum.

Reaction Score
You see a lot of morons in high school coaching. Poor role models, guys who don't want to work hard, etc.

I am probably the opposite. My fundamentals and reaching kids, getting them to play b to the w is excellent generally. But my Xs and Os (particularly late-game) is so-so right now.
You have your cell with you during games? Post the BY for x&o advice or If you’re really in trouble tweet @Chief00

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
And you know this quality to be a fact?
KO got roasted by many for going the grad xfer route and for shooting for the elite - but to be a player in the top program game you have to get the elite caliber players. KO struck out and when you strike out you have failed
Heron is proven quality, the guys you refer to are not proven nor have the grads proven to be reliable vs quality comp
I'll take 1-2 years of Heron vs "reputation for treating players well" - whatever that means - JC would in a heartbeat

You may not agree with Champs but his statements are not absurd.
Dan Hurley is a really good get for UConn but I also see that he is playing a risky game of keeping all that want to stay vs getting the best available out there. I also think he is going to be frustrated in the number of quality players who will not play at UConn - not because of UConn or because of Dan Hurley- but because of the AAC - KO found that to be the most frustrating aspect of recruiting.
IMHO if Heron even shows a glimpse of desire to play in Storrs and Dan Hurley looks the other way because "he wants to treat his current players well" I will be disappointed in his decision making. To be among the best when you are playing with a distraction (AAC) you have to get the best parts for your machine.
"AAC - KO found that to be the most frustrating aspect of recruiting." Really think this is what frustrated KO the most during recruiting?

Reaction Score
"AAC - KO found that to be the most frustrating aspect of recruiting." Really think this is what frustrated KO the most during recruiting?

He also thought the most frustrating aspect about player development was the players were not developing themselves.

And the most frustrating aspect of game planning was that the players were not able to neutralize the opponents game plans with good iso basketball.

And that the video coordinator was unable to make good in game adjustments.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed when Hurley discussed the team.

He mentioned Whalley as an afterthought and said implied he needs to develop basic basketball skills.

Reaction Score
This is a battle between champs and gtcam to see who can post the more ridiculous nonsense. Not going to get into how dumb these posts are other than to say Heron wasn't coming here even if Calhoun was our coach.

Champs, when the only person who agrees with you is gtcam you have to look inward and make adjustments.

People have agreed with things I've said in the past that turned out to be stupid, so I'm sure the opposite can be true as well.

Besides, I don't think people strongly disagree so much as my "contrarian shtick," as @Stainmaster calls it, has caused a dissonance with people who are understandably optimistic about the hire.

I do think Hurley is a good coach and I do think it was time to move on from Ollie, but one can have reasonable expectations while simultaneously expressing hope for a better outcome. The roster as presently constructed is closer than people think. For that reason, I would have valued the open scholarship - even if the odds weren't in our favor to attract a high impact player - over a player who figured to be the 11th or 12th man on the roster this season.

Reaction Score
Jalen is going to be playing alongside a point guard. Alterique and Tarin Smith will split most of that time. Vital and Adams will get time in 3 guard situations.

The fact is we were overloaded with forwards and wings, and short of guards and rim protectors. We had Alterique (injury risk), Jalen, and Christian. We needed two more guards. He got them in Tarin and Brendan. He couldn't afford to enter the season with only 4 guards and you don't know Heron is going to become available when you have to decide on Tarin and Brendan. Even if you suspected Heron would become available, you don't know he will choose UConn, or be eligible next year. We also needed Yakwe for rim protection. So he had no luxury to bank a scholarship.

You are being a result merchant and arguing with hindsight. No coach in the world, at the time Hurley had to make his commitments, would have turned down Brendan, Tarin, or Kassoum.

I agree that four guards isn't ideal, but if Jalen and Alterique are both healthy, four guards are enough. If they aren't healthy, then it's a lost season anyway.

Of course he didn't know Heron was going to be available. That's the whole point. The fifth guard is a luxury and not a necessity. I said as much at the time so it's not a matter of hindsight.

Hurley has done excellent work rebuilding two programs, but this is a different type of job than he's taken in the past and I worry that his approach is too rigid.

Reaction Score
Hurley has done excellent work rebuilding two programs, but this is a different type of job than he's taken in the past and I worry that his approach is too rigid.

You can stop now. The dude hasn't even coached a game or gone through a full recruiting season yet

Reaction Score
People have agreed with things I've said in the past that turned out to be stupid, so I'm sure the opposite can be true as well.

Besides, I don't think people strongly disagree so much as my "contrarian shtick," as @Stainmaster calls it, has caused a dissonance with people who are understandably optimistic about the hire.

I do think Hurley is a good coach and I do think it was time to move on from Ollie, but one can have reasonable expectations while simultaneously expressing hope for a better outcome. The roster as presently constructed is closer than people think. For that reason, I would have valued the open scholarship - even if the odds weren't in our favor to attract a high impact player - over a player who figured to be the 11th or 12th man on the roster this season.
Heron was never coming to UConn. The grad transfers were very necessary in this situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom