Borges: Roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season | The Boneyard

Borges: Roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season

Reaction Score
UConn men’s basketball team’s roster looks to be set for 2018-19 season
And so, for better or worse, the players currently on UConn’s roster are most likely the players that Hurley will bring into battle with him this season. Yes, other issues could still crop up. But the second semester grades are in, and it doesn’t appear there will be any academic casualties at this point.

“We don’t have any issues relative to eligibility with any of the incoming guys,” Hurley noted. “We’ve got 10 returning players. Obviously, college basketball is fluid with the amount of transfers you get every year. But, I feel like this is probably the 13 that we’re gonna be going with.”

Reaction Score
Borges has a hard on for keeping everyone and guaranteeing scholarships.

Hurley said no issues with incoming three; he said nothing about the ten on scholarships now.

This roster is fluid and Hurley will look to improve it.

Reaction Score

Hurley said no issues with incoming three; he said nothing about the ten on scholarships now.

I wonder if being in close proximity to players on a regular bases like beat writers are makes them less likely to treat the players like cattle

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

To be fair Hurley said yesterday that he wanted any/all of the 10 plyers willing to come back.

Reaction Score
I wonder if being in close proximity to players on a regular bases like beat writers are makes them less likely to treat the players like cattle

Cattle is a little harsh.

The most important thing for this program is to show success next year. That is the best way to attract talent.

If we have another losing season, no one will be saying, “I am so glad Hurley was loyal to players he didn’t recruit”

I agree players get screwed, but that’s not Hurley’s fault. It is the NCAA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was glad to hear him talking about conditioning and practice intensity. For a long while, no one out worked out toughed a UConn team. It sounds as if we are getting back to that.

Reaction Score
I was glad to hear him talking about conditioning and practice intensity. For a long while, no one out worked out toughed a UConn team. It sounds as if we are getting back to that.
It’s probably an overreaction, but I really thought it spoke volumes that KO didn’t want anyone to have eyes on our practices.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s probably an overreaction, but I really thought it spoke volumes that KO didn’t want anyone to have eyes on our practices.
Interesting. That hadn't occurred to me.

My kid's HS coach used to have an "open practice" at the start of the year. It was, in my view, extraordinarily inefficient with an inordinate amount of standing around. I was surprised and asked my kid whether that was typical, the answer was a shrug and a yep.

The team had a lot of talent and so it did pretty well, but I heard he left this year after a middling season.

Reaction Score
Interesting. That hadn't occurred to me.

My kid's HS coach used to have an "open practice" at the start of the year. It was, in my view, extraordinarily inefficient with an inordinate amount of standing around. I was surprised and asked my kid whether that was typical, the answer was a shrug and a yep.

The team had a lot of talent and so it did pretty well, but I heard he left this year after a middling season.
Are there any closed practices in high school sports? I've never heard of that before

Reaction Score
Are there any closed practices in high school sports? I've never heard of that before

All of my practices are closed at the hs level. No parents, friends, teachers, GFs, etc. allowed.

Reaction Score
Oh yes. My kid also had a coach that didn't know how to run a practice. Too much wasted time and near zero discipline. We weren't allowed to watch but I would sneak a look once in a while and it was horrifying. The guy knew his Xs and Os and worked hard on scouting. But his ability to run a practice and reach players was terrible. He had ZERO feel for psychology and no appreciation for fundamentals.

Reaction Score
People won't want to hear it, but Hurley has left himself open for criticism regardless of how the Heron thing plays out. If you boot a kid to make room, you come off as hypocritical. If you never gave him a look, it begs the question of why you filled all your open scholarships with marginal players. "We're focusing on 2019" is and will continue to be a cop out. This team is a player or two away from winning big, now, and it isn't hard to see. Pandering to the fan base with vain references to culture might work for a bit, but if it's at the expense of the opportunity right before your eyes, you might come to regret it when the patience of those same people inevitably wears.

CL82

Reaction Score
People won't want to hear it, but Hurley has left himself open for criticism regardless of how the Heron thing plays out. If you boot a kid to make room, you come off as hypocritical. If you never gave him a look, it begs the question of why you filled all your open scholarships with marginal players. "We're focusing on 2019" is and will continue to be a cop out. This team is a player or two away from winning big, now, and it isn't hard to see. Pandering to the fan base with vain references to culture might work for a bit, but if it's at the expense of the opportunity right before your eyes, you might come to regret it when the patience of those same people inevitably wears.
How about "I wasn't going to kick a kid off the program who had committed to the hard work and dedication that's expected at UConn."

Or alternatively how about:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh yes. My kid also had a coach that didn't know how to run a practice. Too much wasted time and near zero discipline. We weren't allowed to watch but I would sneak a look once in a while and it was horrifying. The guy knew his Xs and Os and worked hard on scouting. But his ability to run a practice and reach players was terrible. He had ZERO feel for psychology and no appreciation for fundamentals.

You see a lot of morons in high school coaching. Poor role models, guys who don't want to work hard, etc.

I am probably the opposite. My fundamentals and reaching kids, getting them to play b to the w is excellent generally. But my Xs and Os (particularly late-game) is so-so right now.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Usually people who can see both sides of an argument don’t then complain about both.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pandering to the fan base with vain references to culture might work for a bit, but if it's at the expense of the opportunity right before your eyes, you might come to regret it when the patience of those same people inevitably wears.
You are really trying too hard. What you call pandering to the fan base seems more like maintaining credibility in the locker room.

Reaction Score
But no one out-loved KO teams. No one could stop us from loving each other.
Probably learned that from diaco. Love gets you 3 schools paying you for zero work rendered.

Reaction Score
Worst post of the week

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This is a telling quote though:

“It’s an important message as a coach,” he said. “I thought it was important for me that the returning players understood I wasn’t coming in and making transactions. I’m a coach that embraced every returning player that wanted to be a part of rebuilding this great program. If the players are on board with doing everything the way I want it done in the program, then I want them to be a part of the program. I wasn’t casting players aside. I wanted to embrace the people in and around the program that wanted to be a part of the solution.”

So the Huskies’ roster is set. Hurley, who replaced Kevin Ollie on March 22, wanted to close the book on 2018 recruiting “as effectively and efficiently as possible,” he said, with the landing of grad student transfers Tarin Smith, the first player from Bob Hurley’s St. Anthony teams to play for Dan Hurley, and Kassoum Yakwe and freshman Brendan Adams. No one has transferred out, and all the holdovers are back on campus now for summer classes.

Reaction Score
This is a telling quote though:

“It’s an important message as a coach,” he said. “I thought it was important for me that the returning players understood I wasn’t coming in and making transactions. I’m a coach that embraced every returning player that wanted to be a part of rebuilding this great program. If the players are on board with doing everything the way I want it done in the program, then I want them to be a part of the program. I wasn’t casting players aside. I wanted to embrace the people in and around the program that wanted to be a part of the solution.”

So the Huskies’ roster is set. Hurley, who replaced Kevin Ollie on March 22, wanted to close the book on 2018 recruiting “as effectively and efficiently as possible,” he said, with the landing of grad student transfers Tarin Smith, the first player from Bob Hurley’s St. Anthony teams to play for Dan Hurley, and Kassoum Yakwe and freshman Brendan Adams. No one has transferred out, and all the holdovers are back on campus now for summer classes.
Stability

pj

Reaction Score

This is absurd. You can't complain about Hurley taking Brendan Adams when we're short of point guards. Then Yakwe and Tarin filled needs and the grad transfer route makes sense given how much promise there is in the 2019 class and the slim pickings in 2018. You don't know that a Heron will become available, and you have to take quality players, which is what he did.

A reputation for treating players well is worth more than 1-2 years of Mustapha Heron. I'm happy Hurley is doing the right thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom