Borges on recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. It is a guesstimation. Mack is a great example of that concept. I was told by a local reporter,2 national recruiting reporters, a top aau coach I am friendly with and a top uconn booster who is extremely close to the program that mack will pick uconn. All this happened in under 24 hours. So I post it on this board and as history tell things changed and from the sounds of it very quickly. so I have egg on my face. I had more sources then a NY times article but still ended up wrong. It is what it is ..always changing
I think most people here understand that fully, and you are far more upset about being wrong than anyone else. I didn't even remember what you were wrong about and I am guessing that 99% of those here don't either, but I am sure you will never forget it, and you take every chance to project your anger about it on others.

For me, it's not being right or wrong about a particular recruit that sticks in my craw; it's the aspersions that you and others have repeatedly cast on our staff for what you apparently believe is their incompetence at recruiting. You concede that recruiting is unpredictable when trying to defend your own information that turned out to be wrong, but you are more than willing to hold the staff accountable for what you then term as their recruiting misses. I'm sure that there is some kernel of truth in all of this--and I think most here understand that there was a learning curve to be surmounted--but the knee-jerk reaction to blame the staff, combined with the deafening silence from that same contingent when we have recruiting successes, can be off-putting imo, and seems to reveal a bias that shades all the other information provided.

Reaction Score
I think most people here understand that fully, and you are far more upset about being wrong than anyone else. I didn't even remember what you were wrong about and I am guessing that 99% of those here don't either, but I am sure you will never forget it, and you take every chance to project your anger about it on others.

For me, it's not being right or wrong about a particular recruit that sticks in my craw; it's the aspersions that you and others have repeatedly cast on our staff for what you apparently believe is their incompetence at recruiting. You concede that recruiting is unpredictable when trying to defend your own information that turned out to be wrong, but you are more than willing to hold the staff accountable for what you then term as their recruiting misses. I'm sure that there is some kernel of truth in all of this--and I think most here understand that there was a learning curve to be surmounted--but the knee-jerk reaction to blame the staff, combined with the deafening silence from that same contingent when we have recruiting successes, can be off-putting imo, and seems to reveal a bias that shades all the other information provided.

You make many good points. You must have a psy minor

I judged the staff when multi top recruits said the phone stopped ringing. This happened a few times in the summer of 2013 .

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I judged the staff when multi top recruits said the phone stopped ringing. This happened a few times in the summer of 2013 .

I want to hear your opinions. I value them. I love the fact you reported the phones stopped ringing.

Now I get to use my brain try to figure out why... I don't mind using my brain.

Reaction Score

Yea, you said this about Alterique Gilbert, and that is why you and your cronies who had no problems slapping around the staff get "slammed", as you say...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yea, you said this about Alterique Gilbert, and that is why you and your cronies who had no problems slapping around the staff get "slammed", as you say...

He reported what he heard and tried to figure out what it meant & you have a problem with that? Its better you didn't know?

Fact is you have gotten stuff wrong on this site too... we all have. After the Villanova game I went after Whaler11 for thinking the Fatakasi's penalty was on 4th down. I was wrong, he was right - it was 3rd down.

Reaction Score

I was wrong. Cronies? Please explain

Reaction Score
He reported what he heard and tried to figure out what it meant & you have a problem with that? Its better you didn't know?

Fact is you have gotten stuff wrong on this site too... we all have. After the Villanova game I went after Whaler11 for thinking the Fatakasi's penalty was on 4th down. I was wrong, he was right - it was 3rd down.
I don't report on recruiting so I don't know what I've got wrong on that front, I comment on the games and players that I watch, I don't make predictions. While your tightening your cape to defend another grown man, make sure you also address my point about the same dudes who were knocking the staff for not landing commits are the same ones silent now.

Reaction Score
Wow, this is ridiculous. Some of you, who complain about what some of our somewhat insiders post about what the hear, will be the first to scream when they don't post anything. Take it for what's worth.

As a said awhile back. 99 has prescribe thousands of doses of salt, to try to convey a message that it is someone's opinion, some info he heard, it could be true but maybe not.

What do you want?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I don't know any of you personally. I don't know what connections people may or may not have. What do know, is that 99, Z, tcf, and 3Uconn consistently bring good and mostly reliable information to the table and do so with professionalism and class. Are they right 100%? No!!! How can they be? They're not the ones making the decisions.

Guys - (3, 99, Z, tcf) - keep doing what you are doing. We appreciate all you do.

Reaction Score
Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I don't know any of you personally. I don't know what connections people may or may not have. What do know, is that 99, Z, tcf, and 3Uconn consistently bring good and mostly reliable information to the table and do so with professionalism and class. Are they right 100%? No!!! How can they be? They're not the ones making the decisions.

Guys - (3, 99, Z, tcf) - keep doing what you are doing. We appreciate all you do.
Stop lumping tcf and 3 with all of that riffraff, nobody is or has knocked them

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The worst part is that some of us are diehard UConn fans with absolutely no additional knowledge about recruiting than what we read on this board. We come here to get the latest info -- good or bad on the team and the teenagers we desperately want to come to Storrs and represent the University. We get pumped when we hear good news and depressed when its bad. We have a sense of who is in the know and who is isn't -- but we don't REALLY know and that merely adds to the intrigue.
So I wish everyone reading these recruiting posts and flooding them with personal attacks/defenses would stop.

At the end of the day, I for one, love coming to the Boneyard every day (multiple times a day) in hopes of hearing or learning something new. Its addictive - especially in regards to recruiting. I don't post a helluva lot, but I do read damn near every post in the threads I care about. I am smart enough to take all of what I read with a grain of salt, but I think its all additive to the mosaic and that's why I keep coming back.

I recognize there are egos here and sometimes things are misunderstood or sarcasm goes unappreciated. But that's what fan boards are all about. Because all that does is fill the post with inane comments that yo-yos like me don't really want to read. Please allow me to ride the emotional roller coaster that is recruiting without all the noise.
Sage advice. Unfortunately not likely to happen. Best we can do is to follow our own advice and not take it personally when people won't/can't see wisdom. Otherwise we end up becoming part of the problem.

Shame you don't post more frequently. I would love nothing more than to say "Next" to me!

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He'll yes I am. I have not slept a full night in 15 months...joy of twins
At least you have an obvious excuse for your saltiness. Thing is everyone has an excuse if we dig deep enough. We may not like some behaviors, and we should argue why, but at the same time we need to understand we are often guilty of doing similar things we don't like. The knowledge doesn't justify negative behavior. It allows us to ultimately be compassionate and gracious.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What? Someone was calling Zionn out. Superjohn was OK. And yes someone respectfully requested a softer word than "Next". But there was also real resentment aimed at Zionn, who was being called an imposter who just guessed to fake recruiting knowledge.

Don't understand the level of anger some posters walk around with here. This is about fun not national security.
The level of importance is different. The process is the same. This is a microcosm of the macrocosm.

Reaction Score
Ok I am on my 3rd cup of coffee and over it. Side note I think 3 and tcf has way better informed then I have..

Reaction Score
If this board survived the inside scoop that UConn was in the ACC within hours, it can survive this really minor irritant of a thread. And speaking of 2011, UConn really was in the ACC according to all insiders (and probably the main player at UConn). But the insiders didn't know that even though the "documents were already inked with pen," the yokels down south ripped those papers up. No way to account for any of this, not even after someone signs the dotted line. Gotta wait for the papers to be filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom