Borges on recruiting | The Boneyard

Borges on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recruiting is not algebra when there is always a final answer like 3 or 4. Z felt the wrath the other day by a few simpletons who can not rap their mind around that concept.
If you're referring to me, check yourself. You are falsely representing what was said in that thread, I don't remember anybody claiming recruiting is remotely close to an exact science.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is not algebra when there is always a final answer like 3 or 4. Z felt the wrath the other day by a few simpletons who can not rap their mind around that concept.

Putting to the side the irony of you referring to another poster as a simpleton, whose wrath did he feel? It seemed like a couple people pointed at that just throwing out "next" when most kids who get offered aren't going to come to UConn anyway, and then backstopping it with "recruiting is fluid so it doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong" isn't all that helpful. Not exactly character assassination.

And no one says recruiting is an exact science.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say there was a "*storm" over Z's head, that's misrepresenting it. But lately lots of egos have been on in full force on the yard. In reality, we are all diehard fans here and things get emotional. If you represent yourself well (which Z and 99 both have) and give your honest opinion of a recruitment people will appreciate it.

I think people got testy in that thread the other day because Z was getting a little heavy handed with his repeated "Nexts!" all within the same thread while his recruitment was still clearly progressing, as evidenced by Gabriel's scheduling of an Official visit. People just got ticked off because it seemed like he was pissing on their parade.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yea seriously, lots of egos going on lately. In reality, we are all diehard fans here and things get emotional. If you represent yourself well (which Z and 99 both have) and give your honest opinion of a recruitment people will appreciate it.

I think people got testy in that thread the other day because Z was getting a little heavy handed with his repeated "Nexts!" all within the same thread while his recruitment was still clearly progressing, as evidenced by Gabriel's scheduling of an Official visit. People just got ticked off because it seemed like he was pissing on their parade.

Nobody's good with handling bad news.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What? Someone was calling Zionn out. Superjohn was OK. And yes someone respectfully requested a softer word than "Next". But there was also real resentment aimed at Zionn, who was being called an imposter who just guessed to fake recruiting knowledge.

Don't understand the level of anger some posters walk around with here. This is about fun not national security.

Reaction Score
Putting to the side the irony of you referring to another poster as a simpleton, whose wrath did he feel? It seemed like a couple people pointed at that just throwing out "next" when most kids who get offered aren't going to come to UConn anyway, and then backstopping it with "recruiting is fluid so it doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong" isn't all that helpful. Not exactly character assassination.

And no one says recruiting is an exact science.

99 has called posters simpletons, asked if they eat lead at work, called people s, all the while single handedly having the biggest overreaction. To him thats perfectly fine.

But questioning whether saying "next" when anyone who does not follow recruiting one bit would be right 90% of the time for saying "next" to every recruit is apparently outrageous to bring up. Anyone here who follows recruiting would be able to correctly guess who is NOT coming nearly 100% of the time. With Zionn it is not about his accuracy, its about his tactic of being adamant with saying "next" as though its a fact and some inside secret and then being ambiguous about indications of who will be coming here.

No one has anything personal against Zionn. I love Zionn simply because he is a die hard UCONN fan and also he seems like a good guy by taking criticisms without overreacting like 99. I said this before and I'll say it again I just don't buy Zionn's "nexts" being informative, but he is a good guy (from what I can tell from his posts).

99 on the other hand has provided substantive recruiting insight, and I have said this before, of course he is not going to be accurate 100% of time, being right 50% is great if your providing info that others here dont have otherwise. But at the same time 99 right now is a certified .

Reaction Score
The worst part is that some of us are diehard UConn fans with absolutely no additional knowledge about recruiting than what we read on this board. We come here to get the latest info -- good or bad on the team and the teenagers we desperately want to come to Storrs and represent the University. We get pumped when we hear good news and depressed when its bad. We have a sense of who is in the know and who is isn't -- but we don't REALLY know and that merely adds to the intrigue.

At the end of the day, I for one, love coming to the Boneyard every day (multiple times a day) in hopes of hearing or learning something new. Its addictive - especially in regards to recruiting. I don't post a helluva lot, but I do read damn near every post in the threads I care about. I am smart enough to take all of what I read with a grain of salt, but I think its all additive to the mosaic and that's why I keep coming back.

I recognize there are egos here and sometimes things are misunderstood or sarcasm goes unappreciated. But that's what fan boards are all about. So I wish everyone reading these recruiting posts and flooding them with personal attacks/defenses would stop. Because all that does is fill the post with inane comments that yo-yos like me don't really want to read. Please allow me to ride the emotional roller coaster that is recruiting without all the noise.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You know, after last year, I'm just really looking forward to a fun, interesting year. I don't expect a national championship, I'm just hoping for an exciting ride. Things have gone from "looking pretty bad indeed" after last year (and the concerns about who would stay and who would go) to the point where our guys could come to be really good. Things are looking up, right?

Reaction Score
99 has called posters simpletons, asked if they eat lead at work, called people s, all the while single handedly having the biggest overreaction. To him thats perfectly fine.

But questioning whether saying "next" when anyone who does not follow recruiting one bit would be right 90% of the time for saying "next" to every recruit is apparently outrageous to bring up. Anyone here who follows recruiting would be able to correctly guess who is NOT coming nearly 100% of the time. With Zionn it is not about his accuracy, its about his tactic of being adamant with saying "next" as though its a fact and some inside secret and then being ambiguous about indications of who will be coming here.

No one has anything personal against Zionn. I love Zionn simply because he is a die hard UCONN fan and also he seems like a good guy by taking criticisms without overreacting like 99. I said this before and I'll say it again I just don't buy Zionn's "nexts" being informative, but he is a good guy (from what I can tell from his posts).

99 on the other hand has provided substantive recruiting insight, and I have said this before, of course he is not going to be accurate 100% of time, being right 50% is great if your providing info that others here dont have otherwise. But at the same time 99 right now is a certified .

Very true. I am a certified on this board. It is the culture of most posters to attack 1st and listen second. I will work on it.

Reaction Score
I like all of the recruiting updates. The final choice is always the player and not the poster. When life changing decisions are being made by teenagers, quick reversals are to be expected. Add in the handlers of the top players and it's difficult to get exact information. In any case I enjoy guesstimates by those better informed than I. The alternative is no info.

Reaction Score
I like all of the recruiting updates. The final choice is always the player and not the poster. When life changing decisions are being made by teenagers, quick reversals are to be expected. Add in the handlers of the top players and it's difficult to get exact information. In any case I enjoy guesstimates by those better informed than I. The alternative is no info.

You are 100% correct. It is a guesstimation. Mack is a great example of that concept. I was told by a local reporter,2 national recruiting reporters, a top aau coach I am friendly with and a top uconn booster who is extremely close to the program that mack will pick uconn. All this happened in under 24 hours. So I post it on this board and as history tell things changed and from the sounds of it very quickly. so I have egg on my face. I had more sources then a NY times article but still ended up wrong. It is what it is ..always changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom