Borges: Moore confused he’s yet to land job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Moore confused he’s yet to land job

Reaction Score
Im sure JC will continue to assist Ricky and he will land somewhere. Truly hard to tell how much impact he had, but he is well liked and has a Championship, in part due to his defensive prowess. I hope he finds a good fit soon.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Given the gag order I will talk in general terms.
There might be a perception out there that a head coach seldom creates NCAA violations by himself. If we were any kind of normal setup last year (which we weren’t) the head coach would have plausible deniability and the assistants would actually commit the violations and the issue for the head coach would be degree of institutional control.
So with the other assistants hired and you assume the other schools vetted them in regards to this investigation via Benedict - Ricky has a bullseye on his back. Fair or unfair.

I wouldn't call these "general terms" there, Chiefy. You just accused Ricky Moore of committing violations. Are you saying that's what happened?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t think it was Moore’s job to act like a crazy person during games, so I can’t draw any conclusions from him sitting on a bench during games.

He’s got Jim Calhoun making calls for him - he needs to relax, he’ll get a job.

But a great way to not get a job is to give an interview where you tag yourself as an object of interest in an NCAA investigation,

That was less than bright.

pj

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call these "general terms" there, Chiefy. You just accused Ricky Moore of committing violations. Are you saying that's what happened?

I didn't read it that way. I read Chief as suggesting that (a) most coaches will assume that if cheating occurred, KO would have done it the way they would have -- that is, ask the most trusted assistant to do it -- and they assume Ricky was the most trusted person on KO's staff, because he was the one KO had the longest relationship with; (b) but in this case that may be an inappropriate assumption as if there was cheating, KO may have been feckless enough to do it himself; (c) perhaps there was no cheating; Ricky may indeed be honestly mystified as to what the investigation is about; (d) but as long as there is uncertainty about the investigation, coaches are going to be reluctant to extend Ricky an offer.

C

Chief00

I didn't read it that way. I read Chief as suggesting that (a) most coaches will assume that if cheating occurred, KO would have done it the way they would have -- that is, ask the most trusted assistant to do it -- and they assume Ricky was the most trusted person on KO's staff, because he was the one KO had the longest relationship with; (b) but in this case that may be an inappropriate assumption as if there was cheating, KO may have been feckless enough to do it himself; (c) perhaps there was no cheating; Ricky may indeed be honestly mystified as to what the investigation is about; (d) but as long as there is uncertainty about the investigation, coaches are going to be reluctant to extend Ricky an offer.

Yes, and the other operating assumption is now (fair or unfair) - it must not be the other assistants who got them in trouble because they got jobs.

Reactions: pj
C

Chief00

I was referring to perceptions as I said in my post.

C

Chief00

Im sure JC will continue to assist Ricky and he will land somewhere. Truly hard to tell how much impact he had, but he is well liked and has a Championship, in part due to his defensive prowess. I hope he finds a good fit soon.

Iverson would hire him to teach defense, if he was coaching

C

Chief00

The picture I have of Ricky is him with a marker board in hand showing a player something. He was the only one who seemed to talk to the players.

True, but that’s not good if one were to guess who might have been involved with extra curricular workouts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A thousand years from now when UConn basketball fans look back on a rich history... scholars will struggle to explain how a gag order was in place but Chief still posted so much.

Reaction Score
When watching games, I don't recall Ollie engaging with Ricky before the game, at half time or during times out. He seemed like the forgotten man relegated to the end of the coaches' seats so Ollie could surround himself with K&C.

It sure would be interesting to know what happened from the time Ollie took over and touted his "all UConn staff" to the end when Kevin Freeman was passed over for others and Ricky was pushed to the end of the line, and two guys who didn't seem to add much in the way of coaching ability became the seers who Ollie leaned on during the games.

Reaction Score
When watching games, I don't recall Ollie engaging with Ricky before the game, at half time or during times out. He seemed like the forgotten man relegated to the end of the coaches' seats so Ollie could surround himself with K&C.

It sure would be interesting to know what happened from the time Ollie took over and touted his "all UConn staff" to the end when Kevin Freeman was passed over for others and Ricky was pushed to the end of the line, and two guys who didn't seem to add much in the way of coaching ability became the seers who Ollie leaned on during the games.
They must have liked his offense better. Hard to find those types.

C

Chief00

It should be interesting to the well
meaning Casual Fan that Ricky confirms the same gag order Chief has mentioned multiple times, and quite frankly taken some flak for being in compliance with.
Just helping the Casual Fans connect the dots - see this is how you do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not to throw shade on Ricky, but you weren’t qualified for the job you had here. That’s why you don’t have another job.
It's also tough to be the guy recruiting the south when you're a New England school in a subpar conference. I guess he helped with Alterique, but I think it's obvious that KO was the driving factor there. Killings actually pulled in most of last years class and has more experience in general, and Chillious has the reputation of a great recruiter to back him. Ricky may have to work for a school in a low tier conference for a while, but he'll land on his feet.

Reaction Score
Ricky might be insinuating that maybe the other assistants used him as a scapegoat for violations when he infact, didn’t commit any. Ricky worked hard and hit the road a lot. He was the perfect third assistant.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whining in public never helps. It sounds like he has folks in his corner, just STFU and keep networking.

C

Chief00

If working for Iverson, WHEN exactly would he teach it? Practice? C'mon, I mean practice? Really, practice?
Hans, a great post. My post was a little tongue and cheek. Iverson occasionally years later, brought up Ricky’s defense on him.
Back in those days, Ricky was the only guy in college who Chief saw first hand - that had the jets and tenacity to even play in Iverson speed lane on the highway.

Reaction Score
Glen Miller took six months to get a job, and dropped to DIII to do it. He was a former head coach and had won championships as an assistant. Ricky needs to work on his sales pitch.
Pretty sure Ricky was also an assistant on a championship team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hans, a great post. My post was a little tongue and cheek. Iverson occasionally years later, brought up Ricky’s defense on him.
Back in those days, Ricky was the only guy in college who Chief saw first hand - that had the jets and tenacity to even play in Iverson speed lane on the highway.
No way Mississippi State wins if Ricky plays, but Iowa State fans probably say similar thing re Georges Niang.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom