Borges: Kentan Facey, Terrence Samuel Look Good in (and After) Jordan Brand Classic Game | The Boneyard

Borges: Kentan Facey, Terrence Samuel Look Good in (and After) Jordan Brand Classic Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Good stuff here from Borges.

This was interesting as well:

**I also asked Shane Rector if UConn had contacted him:

"They were saying, if some guards leave, if (Shabazz) Napier enters his name in the draft, then they would come in and offer me a scholarship. But I guess if he stays, there’d be too many guards there.”

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Samuel is a strong kid, good passer and ball handler. He has the potential to be a top notch defender, although freshman usually take a while in that regard.

caw

Reaction Score
Just observations from tonight:

Supposedly Samuel was playing with a hurt finger. Nothing serious obviously. I don't know if he will ever be a star at UConn, but he has a ton of intangibles and seems to always make the correct (though not flashy) play/pass on offense. On defense he is very solid in the half court, but his fastbreak defense is a bit slow. It was an All-Star game so I think you can forgive him for that here. He is strong with the ball and can drive to the rim very well. I don't know how his shot is, I don't remember him taking any jumpers. He will be a solid backup to Napier/Boatright. His size will be a huge asset. Very solid first step

Facey is a deer with a great motor. He moves extremely well for his height. Solid fundamentally as well. Not as good as Okafor as a freshman but probably better than Armstrong. He's still learning the game but has a ton of room to grow and is clearly on the right path.

Wasn't that impressed with Rector.

The athletic difference between this game and the one after was outstanding. The national game had crazy athletes everywhere, relatively. Shame we couldn't see how Samuel would do against those guys. UK is going to be very athletic next year. I don't think there was a single player in the national game that was as quick as Napier or Boatright though.

Wiggins is easily the best of the bunch athletically but he deferred to some of the other guys (or the UK guys were freezing him out some). The thing that makes him so good isn't his leaping ability, but his second jump and his smoothness.

Vonleh (was a huge UConn recruit at one point) will be good, but he's a bit behind Parker/Wiggins/Randle right now.

Not a fan of the twins, they kind of sucked IMO.

Goss was the best PG out there tonight.

Parker is not near the athlete that Wiggins is, and he's good. Shame he's going to Duke.

Meeks is a lard ass, he's either going to bust or be the next Sean May.

Ennis (exCuse) is pretty solid, reminds me of Trey Burke, though not quite as good at getting to the rim. He will be a plus over MCW offensively (he can actually shoot, especially mid-range) but he is step down athletically and defensively (he doesn't have nearly the height or arm length defensively).

Missed the international game.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Joel Embiid really impressed me. He's from Cameroon and has only playing basketball for a couple of years but is developing fast. He has incredible upside and is going to be a beast at Kansas.

Reaction Score
Facey will start for us next year. I was shocked at how fat that Meeks kid is, can't believe he can even make it down the court.

Reaction Score
Facey will start for us next year. I was shocked at how fat that Meeks kid is, can't believe he can even make it down the court.

Interesting to hear that people think Facey will start.......exciting for sure that he is that impressive but where would he start? We have Bazz, Boat, Omar and Deandre already looking to have spots sewed up and he's not a 5........?

Reaction Score
Interesting to hear that people think Facey will start.......exciting for sure that he is that impressive but where would he start? We have Bazz, Boat, Omar and Deandre already looking to have spots sewed up and he's not a 5........?

I wouldn't be surprised if KO kicks off the season with a starting lineup of Bazz, Boat, Omar, DeAndre, and Nolan. I can also see Facey getting a lot of minutes at the 4 and 5 positions, which will allow DeAndre to play the 3 more.

Reaction Score
Good points caw, the athleticism difference was quite remarkable. The thing with facey, he was running so well he looked kind of small. I really hope he grows a little because he did look shorter than Daniels. He is a highly instinctive shot blocker though, so he might have a long wingspan. Great mid range shooter. Samuels has a great frame, I like him.

Reaction Score
Yeah I like Nolan's ability to crash the boards very high motor. oh another note , that Kansas big is going to be better than any other freshman big. Tremendous size

Reaction Score
Most likely, he's going to start at the 5. Ollie really doesn't seem intent on playing traditional-sized lineups, so the whole 1-5 thing won't really be applicable (Olander started at the 5, and he's a PF).

At 6'8, Facey has enough size to play center against most teams. I'm sure he'll play there a lot less against teams like Louisville, but for the most part it shouldn't be a huge problem. He's a better rebounder than anyone UConn had on its roster this past season.

I wouldn't be surprised if KO kicks off the season with a starting lineup of Bazz, Boat, Omar, DeAndre, and Nolan. I can also see Facey getting a lot of minutes at the 4 and 5 positions, which will allow DeAndre to play the 3 more.

Do we want DeAndre playing a lot of 3? The reason he's such a mismatch at the 4 is because he forces power forwards to guard him on the perimeter, and he has the quickness and handle to blow by them when they do. He seems to have a much tougher time going by wings (although he would pose a different matchup problem with his height).

Reaction Score
Facey seems to have the natural ability to position himself for boards, but lets not forget the reckless abandonment in which our front court crashed the glass at points last year. Especially Giffey , aka German army knife.

Reaction Score
Joe Arbitello, who coached Omar Calhoun at Christ the King High, and coached the Facey-Samuel squad, has some insight.
"Facey is going to have to get better offensively," Arbitello said, "but there are things he can do that you just can't teach, the way he goes after rebounds — in traffic. He came up big tonight and they had some guys who are humongous. I think Kevin Ollie is going to do an outstanding job with them — I saw Omar's growth during the course of the year. Terrence is pure point guard, and you don't see many of those guys walking around. He'll make the pass that leads to the pass, and a lot of point guards have forgotten about that."

Reaction Score
I think next years team will have great chemistry. The freshmen seem to really like each other.

Reaction Score
@Young_Brimah: Great time in Brooklyn with @TsamuelUconn heading back to MIAMI

Reaction Score
I hope the posters who are still lazily subscribing to the Scout, Rivals, ESPN outdated scouting reports of Samuel as a SG or Combo guard pay attention to he CTK head coach's comments about Samuel being a pure PG.

From Dom Amore http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-notebook-0414-20130413,0,2684600.story:

Joe Arbitello, who coached Omar Calhoun at Christ the King High, and coached the Facey-Samuel squad, has some insight.
"Facey is going to have to get better offensively," Arbitello said, "but there are things he can do that you just can't teach, the way he goes after rebounds — in traffic. He came up big tonight and they had some guys who are humongous. I think Kevin Ollie is going to do an outstanding job with them — I saw Omar's growth during the course of the year. Terrence is pure point guard, and you don't see many of those guys walking around. He'll make the pass that leads to the pass, and a lot of point guards have forgotten about that."

Reaction Score
From Dom Amore http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-notebook-0414-20130413,0,2684600.story:

Hope this helps with Rawle Alkins when the time comes.

Reaction Score
Just observations from tonight:

Supposedly Samuel was playing with a hurt finger. Nothing serious obviously. I don't know if he will ever be a star at UConn, but he has a ton of intangibles and seems to always make the correct (though not flashy) play/pass on offense. On defense he is very solid in the half court, but his fastbreak defense is a bit slow. It was an All-Star game so I think you can forgive him for that here. He is strong with the ball and can drive to the rim very well. I don't know how his shot is, I don't remember him taking any jumpers. He will be a solid backup to Napier/Boatright. His size will be a huge asset. Very solid first step

Facey is a deer with a great motor. He moves extremely well for his height. Solid fundamentally as well. Not as good as Okafor as a freshman but probably better than Armstrong. He's still learning the game but has a ton of room to grow and is clearly on the right path.

Wasn't that impressed with Rector.

The athletic difference between this game and the one after was outstanding. The national game had crazy athletes everywhere, relatively. Shame we couldn't see how Samuel would do against those guys. UK is going to be very athletic next year. I don't think there was a single player in the national game that was as quick as Napier or Boatright though.

Wiggins is easily the best of the bunch athletically but he deferred to some of the other guys (or the UK guys were freezing him out some). The thing that makes him so good isn't his leaping ability, but his second jump and his smoothness.

Vonleh (was a huge UConn recruit at one point) will be good, but he's a bit behind Parker/Wiggins/Randle right now.

Not a fan of the twins, they kind of sucked IMO.

Goss was the best PG out there tonight.

Parker is not near the athlete that Wiggins is, and he's good. Shame he's going to Duke.

Meeks is a lard ass, he's either going to bust or be the next Sean May.

Ennis (exCuse) is pretty solid, reminds me of Trey Burke, though not quite as good at getting to the rim. He will be a plus over MCW offensively (he can actually shoot, especially mid-range) but he is step down athletically and defensively (he doesn't have nearly the height or arm length defensively).

Missed the international game.

Caw... as always right on bud:

1. Parker seemed a step slower then I would have thought and IMO doesnt have the athletic skills required to be a next level guard..
2. Meeks is overrated.
3. Ennis is a future star!! Watched him at the HS invitational!!! love him.. Kid is great and can get to the rim off either hand (unlike the overrated MCW). He had great composure and presence on the court.

Parker seems to me a reminder of how inaccurate HS rankings can be sometimes.

Either way Full Faith in KO!!
One year ago I never would have thought that I truly am excited for the future of our program...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

1. Parker seemed a step slower then I would have thought and IMO doesnt have the athletic skills required to be a next level guard..

He was MVP of the game and showed some excellent offense during the game. I am not sure what your talking about, but I wish he was coming to Storrs next year instead of heading to Duke.

Reaction Score

2. Meeks is overrated.
3. Ennis is a future star!! Watched him at the HS invitational!!! love him.. Kid is great and can get to the rim off either hand (unlike the overrated MCW). He had great composure and presence on the court.

Either way Full Faith in KO!!
One year ago I never would have thought that I truly am excited for the future of our program...

Parker reminds me so much of paul pierce it is crazy. He is going to be GREAT. Duck fuke.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score

I wouldn't be surprised if Facey starts over Omar. We have the best backcourt in the new conference, and one of the best in the country. Memphis would be the only conference team that would rival ours, and I doubt their young guns will be able to hang. That being said, we'll have 2 outstanding guards and a 3/4 that can shoot in DD. That leaves 2 spots which will be filled by any combo of OC, KF, or TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom