Borges goes off on fans/twitter -beyond ridiculous .. talks about abu | The Boneyard

Borges goes off on fans/twitter -beyond ridiculous .. talks about abu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One more thing to add: the entire recruiting process has really gotten silly. Sillier than ever, it seems. The idea that fans -- grown men, usually -- would post on message boards or, worse, send Tweets to recruits begging them to come to the school they root for is beyond ridiculous. That they'll rip these kids -- 17 and 18-year-old kids, we might add -- if they don't choose their school is infantile and sickening. It's like they're personally insulted if a kid doesn't pick their team.

Yes, as a member of the media, I suppose I'm part of the same hypocrisy. I follow many recruits on Twitter and try to contact them and their parents or coaches from time to time to see where their decision process is at. It's part of the job -- not one I always feel particularly good about -- but obviously something that has to be done in this day and age.

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/search/label/Danny Hurley

Reaction Score
*shrugs* tweeting recruits is lame imo, I know some of you guys do, seems pointless and creepy to me

Reaction Score
*shrugs* tweeting recruits is lame imo, I know some of you guys do, seems pointless and creepy to me

I don't even have a tweeter account. Consider me a social media misfit per se. All those who twitter recruits I advise that you take the 5th immediately (fleudy may also throw water balloons at you). Ace ain't around and mauconn has his back!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't even have a tweeter account. Consider me a social media misfit per se. All those who twitter recruits I advise that you take the 5th immediately (fleudy may also throw water balloons at you). Ace ain't around and mauconn has his back!!
I'm throwing creepy rocks at those creeps. Just point them out to me since I don't know a twit about twitter!

Reaction Score
Scrolled to the bottom and couldn't help but notice Calipari making another comment about Charlie V

"Charlie was not in good form when we saw him," Calipari said to Deportes en la Z, after Villanueva had a private workout for the team in New York. "He was overweight, and unfortunately, we could not slow down the entire team and it was a decision taken collectively."

Reaction Score
Amen.

Creepiest thing to come down the pike in a long time.

Yeah, but it seems to be what the kids do these days. I have no twitter account and no clue how to tweet, but people from all schools tweet recruits all the time. C'est la vie. If you don't want to be tweeted, don't get on twitter.

Borges is just attacking a medium that renders him less relevant. 3UConn will report commitments now, not Borges.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it seems to be what the kids do these days. I have no twitter account and no clue how to tweet, but people from all schools tweet recruits all the time. C'est la vie. If you don't want to be tweeted, don't get on twitter.

Borges is just attacking a medium that renders him less relevant. 3UConn will report commitments now, not Borges.

The recruits can tweet to their heart's content - nothing wrong with that.

It's the 30-year tweeting at the kid that's creepy.

That's Borges' point - he's not attacking the medium, he's mocking some fans for taking a disproportionate interest in the recruiting process. (It's not a new perspective and Borges would have been better served by leaving the tantrum unwritten - it looks petty because, well, it is petty.)

The medium has actually been relatively good for journalists - it gives them another outlet to deliver news and like it or not, information from Borges is orders of magnitude better than what we'd get from posters who are largely regurgitating their Twitter feeds.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority here but I also find it creepy when reporters or recruiting analysts comment on kids from the class of 2016 and beyond! These are kids just starting their sophomore year of high school. Get a life and let the kids enjoy being kids for another year. It's like they're prized beef at a cattle auction.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Everyone's jumping on the "i don't even know what twitter IS..." bandwagon right quick I see. Those actively denying it without being asked are definitely doing it, no? Seems how it usually works.

selles, fleud, and bluedog....I'm lookin at you.

Reaction Score
The medium has actually been relatively good for journalists - it gives them another outlet to deliver news and like it or not, information from Borges is orders of magnitude better than what we'd get from posters who are largely regurgitating their Twitter feeds.

That may be true in certain respects, but if you're following UConn recruiting right now, you're checking 3UConn's twitter, not Borges' blog.

Reaction Score

No doubt.......it's cyber stalking and I may be a twit but I don't tweet BLUE!:confused:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Listen, you old fogies. Twitter is great. You can set it up however you want so you get exactly the kind of information that's relevant to you. Follow some UConn beat writers to get post-game quotes. Follow Maxim to get pictures of hot 19-year-olds beamed right to your computer screen. If you're a masochistic, you can even follow HFD. You don't ever have to tweet anything, either.

Reaction Score
Everyone's jumping on the "i don't even know what twitter IS..." bandwagon right quick I see. Those actively denying it without being asked are definitely doing it, no? Seems how it usually works.

I have to confess at the risk of feeling self consciousness, shame and awkwardness that I have had several passing thoughts of setting up a twitter account and tweeting a twit until I realized that the twit I would be tweeting is not a twit at all....it would have been the tweeter who was the twit making tweeting futile. ;)

Reaction Score
LOL @ the banner/flyer for their announcement...."2 of Americas top players in the country"

Good grief.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

:)

You can look all you want. Don't follow twitter other than when people post in these forums. And then I struggle to make sense out of it. I'm one of the few that doesn't go on Facebook either. I have a smartphone. But it didn't make me any smarter.

I would feel imprisoned in a system that wouldn't allow me to expand my thoughts. I can only imagine one other poster in this forum struggling more on a medium like Twitter than myself.

Regarding following recruits on twitter. If Fishy finds it creepy 30 somethings are following these recruits what would he think about someone from the AARP set doing this?

BlueDog comes out better for this. I'm sending one of the water balloons I had reserved for him past the international date line and it's heading your way!

Reaction Score
Well I suspect many computer screens would be broken and keyboards wet on this board, if reactions to recruits not picking us in and indicator. Its obscene to think that because a kid didn't pick UConn people post reactions; that he wasn't that good anyway or overrated or we don't need him. I would bet some of those same adult posters have tweeted said recruits. Anyway people sometimes take stuff personally.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LMAO at the notion that anything Borges posts is better than what we get on the boneyard with 3UConn or Husky99. The next time a UConn basketball beat reporter has the pulse of the recruiting scene will be the first.

Reaction Score
LMAO at the notion that anything Borges posts is better than what we get on the boneyard with 3UConn or Husky99. The next time a UConn basketball beat reporter has the pulse of the recruiting scene will be the first.
Duffy was doing really good last year then he took another job. He knew lots of info but lost some of it with his new job.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Listen, you old fogies. Twitter is great. You can set it up however you want so you get exactly the kind of information that's relevant to you. Follow some UConn beat writers to get post-game quotes. Follow Maxim to get pictures of hot 19-year-olds beamed right to your computer screen. If you're a masochistic, you can even follow HFD. You don't ever have to tweet anything, either.
Listen you young twerp (apologies @babysheep), I re(pre)sent this moniker.

The last thing I need is another social medium that proves I'm a social outlier. Just look at the number of likes/to messages I've received here.
And obviously I'm already spending an inordinate amount of time on this social medium. Why do I want more of the same?

I live in the south. I prefer going to the beach (fifteen minute car ride, half hour by bike) and watching hot 19 year olds in person. For me it's a sport. I just strategically place my lounge chair, which is anywhere, and let them pass me by while I'm soaking up the carcinogens. My dermatologist reprimands me all the while I'm hearing ka-ching in his head. Then there's my chiropractor. I keep forgetting I'm no longer as flexible as I used to be when I whip my head around as one of those lovelies goes behind my chair. There's also eye strain, because I have to be more subtle when my wife's present. The eyeballs no longer move east to west as easily as they used to. And the whacks on the arm still come even though the anticoags make the bruising more apparent. Why do I need twitter when I can get this wonderful experience first hand.

Follow anyone. Why? My human groupie days have passed me by. I'm primarily interested in "checking out" relevant things that are in my personal future. When G-d sets up an account then I will follow that account.

And speaking of passing, I'm more of an old fart than old fogey. That's right. Now I need Beano to get the same results that franks and beans offered me. Every day I check off my calendar when I have a bowel movement. At my age just moving your bowels is worthy of notating. I put a gold star whenever I have three good days in a row! And yes I have to mark the calendar because of dementia. Otherwise I'll overdose on Beano!!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Duffy was doing really good last year then he took another job. He knew lots of info but lost some of it with his new job.

Yeah, agreed. Duffy was awesome. I should've changed my post to say current beat writers.

Honestly, though, you do a great job on here and I know a lot if people appreciate the info.

Reaction Score

Gotta throw tcf in there as well, all three of those guys have been doing great work.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Listen you young twerp (apologies @babysheep), I re(pre)sent this moniker.

And speaking of passing, I'm more of an old fart than old fogey. That's right. Now I need Beano to get the same results that franks and beans offered me. Every day I check off my calendar when I have a bowel movement. At my age just moving your bowels is worthy of notating. I put a gold star whenever I have three good days in a row! And yes I have to mark the calendar because of dementia. Otherwise I'll overdose on Beano!!

Magnesium. This stuff will have you firing in no time. Triple your weekly Tyler Phommachanh count. Tastes like a dream.

Reaction Score
You think this guy ever imagined himself uttering the words "We really want you Abdul!" a week or two ago?

Alan Pate @AllieWolf
@MalikAbu_ I can't wait for Saturday ! We really want you Abdul !

Alan Pate

@AllieWolf

I love nature. I love the Wolfpack.
Beaufort, North Carolina

Reaction Score
You think this guy ever imagined himself uttering the words "We really want you Abdul!" a week or two ago?

Alan Pate @AllieWolf
@MalikAbu_ I can't wait for Saturday ! We really want you Abdul !

Alan Pate

@AllieWolf

I love nature. I love the Wolfpack.
Beaufort, North Carolina

I envision this guy pronouncing his name AB-dool in a twangy North Carolinian accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom