Borges article on the "Top Five" with some having regrets | The Boneyard

Borges article on the "Top Five" with some having regrets

Reaction Score
LMAO...

“I don’t know what really happened,” Jackson Sr. told Hearst Media last week. “I don’t know if it was political. I know they had a lot of Arkansas boys on the team that got playing time. They just kind of weeded Vance out.”

Reaction Score
LMAO...

“I don’t know what really happened,” Jackson Sr. told Hearst Media last week. “I don’t know if it was political. I know they had a lot of Arkansas boys on the team that got playing time. They just kind of weeded Vance out.”
I really feel bad for Vance Jr. He got screwed over by his dad's delusions. Unfortunate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1431548B-0106-487F-BC0B-418A5D55D6DF.png
6277D66F-03A7-4A39-896D-2ED534EC4F45.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pops Vance and LaVar Ball.

Same philosophy. Same taking control.

Different tone and intensity, and different skill level of offspring.

Pops Vance seems to have regrets. LaVar keeps chugging along.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to the post! The Ball Brothers are still suffering the consequences of their dad's obsessive and irrational behavior.

Reaction Score

Vance Jackson Sr and Lavar Ball don't belong in the same conversation. Vance has trotted a mediocre college player around the country to whoever offers him shots. Lavar was right about his kids' talent and while it's fun to laugh at how loud and boisterous he is, it's pretty clear he's done a great job with them and getting them to where they are now

Reaction Score
Be interested in what the others said
TLDR:
Durham - wishes he didn't rush into playing year 1 after his ACL injury, UConn just wasn't a good fit
Diarra - injuries sucked but he's grateful for the opportunities UConn has given him with coaching
Vital/Gilbert - no comments

Reaction Score
"best opportunity to utilize those skills and it didn't happen..."

Seems the same everywhere so we all know where the problem was unfortunately. Too bad liked the kids potential and would've been a nice piece no matter. Wonder what happened at Arkansas? Did he not play defense hard enough still at that point because it was an issue early on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me, the most interesting piece of the article is Durham. His freshman year here, you could see the tools he had in his really limited minutes, but he was only getting a few minutes a game and never looked like the staff believed he was ready for more. Was it really the school's decision not to redshirt him? The article starts as if that's the case, but then backs off it later when Durham refers to it as mutual. And in any event, there wasn't much in there that tells you why he left after the first year.

Had Durham redshirted, Enoch, for all his defensive woes, might get enough minutes to stay and when Jackson left maybe there was no exodus. Who knows. But even four years later, Durham at ND, while a solid high major starter, did not have the type of season that I thought he was capable of from his one year at Storrs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson Sr and Lavar Ball don't belong in the same conversation. Vance has trotted a mediocre college player around the country to whoever offers him shots. Lavar was right about his kids' talent and while it's fun to laugh at how loud and boisterous he is, it's pretty clear he's done a great job with them and getting them to where they are now

Indeed.

2 top 5 picks, one Roy award and one is about to get a 20m/yr contract

Most of the balls ended up ok.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Indeed.

2 top 5 picks, one Roy award and one is about to get a 20m/yr contract

Most of the balls ended up ok.
Yeah I’d happily “suffer” those consequences any day of the week

Reaction Score
This is basically what Geno was talking about when he mentioned how many kids are in the portal. As if they'll be stars and on their way to the lottery just by going to another team.
Sometimes it happens, but in today's "I want it all and I want it now" mentality they're going to be a lot more Vance Jacksons as time goes on and NIL won't help the situation because the idea of how much money they'll make at one school over another will be one of the key reasons for making a move.
My Dad was right about investing decisions and I think he'd say the same about the school you attend. Pick a school and coach you like, work at it, and let the rest work it's way out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My Dad was right about investing decisions and I think he'd say the same about the school you attend. Pick a school and coach you like, work at it, and let the rest work it's way out.
Very similar to my grandfather's thoughts on picking a contractor for a big project: "Find the best man that you can, then close your eyes and your mouth."

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to the post! The Ball Brothers are still suffering the consequences of their dad's obsessive and irrational behavior.
And those consequences are what? Lonzo is going to sign an 8 figure contract this offseason and Melo was ROY, LiAngelo was never gonna be an NBA player.

Reaction Score
And those consequences are what? Lonzo is going to sign an 8 figure contract this offseason and Melo was ROY, LiAngelo was never gonna be an NBA player.

I do feel for LiAngelo Ball purely from a basketball perspective. It's entirely possible that he had no interest playing college basketball but he's not playing anywhere now. He was probably overmatched at UCLA and if he had stayed there I doubt he would have been more than a role player but I wonder if a couple years at a lower level D1 program would have created some better professional opportunities down the line. The other two are set but he seems like collateral damage.

Reaction Score
I do feel for LiAngelo Ball purely from a basketball perspective. It's entirely possible that he had no interest playing college basketball but he's not playing anywhere now. He was probably overmatched at UCLA and if he had stayed there I doubt he would have been more than a role player but I wonder if a couple years at a lower level D1 program would have created some better professional opportunities down the line. The other two are set but he seems like collateral damage.
Yea I agree he should have been at a Cal-State-xxx school or WCC school like Pepperdine/Loyola Marymount

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Lavar’s sons are also two of the best young PGs in the league

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom