Borges: Andre Jackson is ‘so ready’ to begin his UConn MBB career | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Andre Jackson is ‘so ready’ to begin his UConn MBB career

Reaction Score
There's no way anyone actually believes he shot 45%.
That's why I feel compelled to bring it up every time, the HS 3 point line is shorter and he's 6'8. It definitely happened, but just to try and temper expectations that he's not going to come here and disappoint by only shooting 30% next year

Reaction Score
There's no way anyone actually believes he shot 45%.

HS line is shorter, and he took very limited attempts almost exclusively off the catch. It may not be 45%, but it also might not be *that* bad. I think I'd be happy if he can make 30-32% a game next season off the catch. Not great (at all), but could be a base to build from. What I don't want is him taking almost no threes all season and never getting a lick of confidence for the rest of his career. Let him jack them against the cupcakes early and dial it in for conference play.

Reaction Score
That's why I feel compelled to bring it up every time, the HS 3 point line is shorter and he's 6'8. It definitely happened, but just to try and temper expectations that he's not going to come here and disappoint by only shooting 30% next year
Agree. In addition to the 3 point line being significantly deeper - the speed of the college game, the pressure (fear of being yanked from the game), and the guys you are playing against make a big difference. He will be playing against guys who can actually contest and block his shot and are much quicker to close out. Also, AJ won't be playing 30 minutes per game so he won't be in as much of a flow or have as much confidence shooting the 3 as he would in the high school setting.

Me personally, I shot probably 10% lesser of a percentage in college than I did HS. For those reasons too...

C

Chief00

He wasn't shooting 40 % until after he signed with us!! New development..Wants to be Pistol Pete per him..
Quite frankly, he’s a very bright kid. Andre is so right, you can’t be a team leader if you don’t know where you are suppose to be on the court. Additionally, as Chief has said before, he’s very unselfish and respects the game.
I am sure even the most casual of our beloved Casual Fans recognize the amazing athleticism we will have at two positions next season. While that gives us amazing potential next season, the thing that will make Jackson great is that potential combined with being a true student of the game who can talk basketball with those he can learn from.

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert.png

A reminder that Alterique also had ups in HS that I don't recall seeing from him at UConn, especially with the number of times he failed going to the hoop. In HS he dunked in traffic. I've often wondered if he had more injuries than the shoulder. Jackson I think will translate to UConn and be the same player as Bouknight. He'll make 3's in the flow of the game taking 2-3 a game. I have seen most of the players ranked above Jackson including top 10 Terrence Clarke a bunch (at least 10x in person). In the 10x I have seen Clarke I don't think he's had even 1 game better than what I've seen personally from Jackson in the 3x I've seen him. I do think he is very under rated. I'm also not worried about turnovers being a problem.

Reaction Score
Andre is 6’8.??? I thought he was 6 ‘5 or maybe 6’6?

Reaction Score
Andre is 6’8.??? I thought he was 6 ‘5 or maybe 6’6?
He might be 6'6, I feel like he's been listed at 6'6 and 6'7 but right now I'm not in any mood to argue semantics

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
HS line is shorter, and he took very limited attempts almost exclusively off the catch. It may not be 45%, but it also might not be *that* bad. I think I'd be happy if he can make 30-32% a game next season off the catch. Not great (at all), but could be a base to build from. What I don't want is him taking almost no threes all season and never getting a lick of confidence for the rest of his career. Let him jack them against the cupcakes early and dial it in for conference play.
I hope you're right, but I hate his mechanics. I can't see him shooting 30% as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, but I hate his mechanics. I can't see him shooting 30% as a freshman.
Lonzo had much worse mechanics and shot 41% so I think Andre can get to low 30s

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lonzo had much worse mechanics and shot 41% so I think Andre can get to low 30s
I'm guessing lonzo didn't start shooting 3s as a senior, and I'd consider him an outlier. He also was able to change his mechanics in one NBA off season, after his original failed him.

On the bright side, he's for sure a 1 and done if he can hit open 3s. It's really one of the few things holding him back.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing lonzo didn't start shooting 3s as a senior, and I'd consider him an outlier. He also was able to change his mechanics in one NBA off season, after his original failed him.

On the bright side, he's for sure a 1 and done if he can hit open 3s. It's really one of the few things holding him back.
That 41% was in his college season. I don't expect Andre to even get there but was the only bad form example I could think of.

More just an example of how I think he can definitely hit a low 30s percentage, which given his athleticism is more than enough

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That 41% was in his college season. I don't expect Andre to even get there but was the only bad form example I could think of.

More just an example of how I think he can definitely hit a low 30s percentage, which given his athleticism is more than enough
Absolutely, he just needs to be respectable out there.

Reaction Score
If he is supremely athletic, a great passer, and shoots over 40% from 3, why was he not a Top 30 recruit?

Was Ja Morant a top 30? Lots of people watching lots of kids but they miss on some, especially those who want to be great and put in the work and continue improving each year.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, he’s a very bright kid. Andre is so right, you can’t be a team leader if you don’t know where you are suppose to be on the court. Additionally, as Chief has said before, he’s very unselfish and respects the game.
I am sure even the most casual of our beloved Casual Fans recognize the amazing athleticism we will have at two positions next season. While that gives us amazing potential next season, the thing that will make Jackson great is that potential combined with being a true student of the game who can talk basketball with those he can learn from.
Don't know if you're suggesting I'm one of the "most casual of our beloved Casual Fans" or not..I don't consider myself casual.. Pretty sure I know talent when I see it..I do not see AJ as a high volume 3 point shooter in college.. I do think he'll need a decent outside shot if he wants to play at the next level.I am optimistic about this 2020 roster..Esp if the last roster spot is filled by a tenacious rebounder. Quite frankly..I generally agree with Chief's casual observations..

Reaction Score
Was Ja Morant a top 30? Lots of people watching lots of kids but they miss on some, especially those who want to be great and put in the work and continue improving each year.
Ja Morant was a much different story, I believe he only had one offer at D1. He was on no ones radar. But you’re right in the sense that recruiting is hardly an exact science and kids are looked over like Morant every year. We see it all the time. Guys get overrated based on athleticism, certain traits etc, while other really skilled players get buried.

Jackson is a different story, everyone knows who he is and scouts have watched him play enough to know his game and how he ranks in his class. 247 has him listed as their 108th best prospect, Composite 76 (ESPN has him 51). from what I’ve seen from him, it’s hard for me to imagine there are 107 better players in his class given his upside. I’m hoping ESPNs ranking is more true, but only time will tell. That being said, I’m really excited to see this kid play. I think it’s pretty evident to everyone this kid has loads of potential.

Reaction Score
Should we expect him shooting free throws underhanded?
I think AJ was referring more to his (PP) passing skills.. Using his unique and original talents within the context of ball movement and team play.. AJ strikes me as having a very high BBIQ..Smart young man.. Will be fun to watch him develop under DH..

Reaction Score
View attachment 53626
A reminder that Alterique also had ups in HS that I don't recall seeing from him at UConn, especially with the number of times he failed going to the hoop. In HS he dunked in traffic. I've often wondered if he had more injuries than the shoulder. Jackson I think will translate to UConn and be the same player as Bouknight. He'll make 3's in the flow of the game taking 2-3 a game. I have seen most of the players ranked above Jackson including top 10 Terrence Clarke a bunch (at least 10x in person). In the 10x I have seen Clarke I don't think he's had even 1 game better than what I've seen personally from Jackson in the 3x I've seen him. I do think he is very under rated. I'm also not worried about turnovers being a problem.
That vertical is unreal! Looks photoshopped.

Reaction Score
Never noticed that AJ went from #50 to #32 on ESPNs 2020 recruiting rankings. That's only 6 slots away from 5-star status and a full 18 slots above Cliff at #50. Movement that significant would indicate an ever improving 3-pt shot.

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 8.28.43 AM.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never noticed that AJ went from #50 to #32 on ESPNs 2020 recruiting rankings. That's only 6 slots away from 5-star status and a full 18 slots above Cliff at #50. Movement that significant would indicate an ever improving 3-pt shot.

View attachment 53665
When will 247 update their recruiting rankings? Summer b-ball not being able to happen certainly changes things. He’s ranked 108 by 247 and 32 by ESPN. One of these two sites is way off, let’s hope it’s 247. Can’t wait to see this kid and this team play, the world needs UConn b-ball in the Big East starting on time next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom