OT: - Books you have read twice..no phonebooks | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Books you have read twice..no phonebooks

Reaction Score
I will sound like a real nerd here, but I did major in English. Here goes: many of Shakespeare's plays, including Hamlet, Macbeth, Antony and Cleopatra, Othello, Henry V, King Lear, and I am sure some others. The English Patient, The Hours, most of Virginia Woolf, most of George Eliot and DH Lawrence (Women in Love, The Rainbow, Sons and Lovers). I could probably go on, but I will stop here.

Reaction Score
I'm an English teacher, so I'll likely not include everything I teach -- except for the ones I would otherwise choose to reread. Here are just a few of them:
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison (you could read this a hundred times and still find something new)
  • The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee ("Hey, Boo" gets me every single time)
  • Working by Studs Terkel
  • Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Final Payments by Mary Gordon
  • Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
  • Antigone by Sophocles
  • Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens
  • And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts (I've just started to re-read this because a plague is a plague)
Don’t think I remember seeing anybody list The Things They Carried. Great, great book.

Reaction Score
One a serious note, I used to be an avid reader until some 40 years ago. Although, since then I still have picked up and read a book that interested me but not to the level I used to read. Because of my eyes, I seldom read much at all. I did recently find two books on Amazon that I had read some 40 odd years ago. I used to read a lot of science fiction back then and they were two among many I had read. They were "Sos the Rope" and the Stone God Awakens".

I don't ever really remember ever reading a book twice. There just were too many new ones to read and besides that, I always had a good memory. For many years I lived across the street from a branch of our library where I spent every day in the summer from opening to closing, there I completely read every book at my reading level which was at least about 5 years higher than normal.

My mother used to complain to a friend that she would have to make sure I was sleeping rather than reading at night. In response that friend gave me boxes of books that she had acquired over the years. My mother did not tell me they were for me, but I eventually found them and read all of them as well. There were some really good ones that really expanded my perspective. One was pilgrims progress which was a10-year-olds exposure to metaphor. There were also a few psychology books as well as textbooks and a number of classics. This question really brought back memories of a time when I was a reading fanatic.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I have read the Dr. Seuss books several times, most Berenstein Bears books several times, the Magic School Bus books several times and the first fourteen Wizard of Oz books, the ones by the original author, several times.

Did I mention I have three kids (grown adults now)? I also read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to them out loud.

Reaction Score
I have read the Dr. Seuss books several times, most Berenstein Bears books several times, the Magic School Bus books several times and the first fourteen Wizard of Oz books, the ones by the original author, several times.

Did I mention I have three kids (grown adults now)? I also read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy to them out loud.
Having kids is one of the reasons I reread books. I would read the books they were assigned so we could discuss them.

Reaction Score
Someone once said(dont remember who) they would rather read the worst book ever than see the best movie ever..love that line...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I spent six weeks in Florence about 10 years ago and had a free pass to the Bargello, Uffitzi, and Pitti Palace past any lines waiting to enter. I went to them each maybe 3 times a week whenever I had a hour or two between other things to do - after the first few times when there was always new art to see and discover, I would just go to one or two particular rooms to see favorite paintings or sculptures. I think of that as similar to going back to reread a book - revisiting scenes of which my memories have dulled. If/when I can get back to Florence I will have forgotten some of what I saw and will certainly revisit both my favorites and those rooms that didn't make such a strong impression - in the meantime I occasionally enjoy flipping through the art books I have and refreshing fading memories with pale imitations.

There are many places in the world I have never seen, and some I have seen but don't care to revisit, but I will always try to return to favorites. What is different between revisiting London and revisiting a place that only exists on the pages of a book. Or for that matter revisiting a favorite music CD? Or recreating a favorite meal?

Reaction Score
Some of my favorites already mentioned:

Watership Down
Middlemarch-like everyone who has read it, I couldn't believe she married him.

Not previously mentioned:

The sublime silliness of P. G. Wodehouse and his marvelous Wooster and Jeeves.

Reaction Score
Entire Master & Commander series by Patrick O'Brian. Have read them all at least twice, some thrice.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Dune Trilogy

Several John LeCarre cold war spy novels. The George Smiley ones including Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (loved the BBC mini series. hated the movie). First Smiley novella, Call for the Dead, at least three times. Lost interest in LeCarre after the Wall fell.

Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler

The Roman Revolution, Sir Ronald Syme. twice fully re-read, and referenced hundred of times. First copy fell apart.

A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin (love the dialogue)

A Confederacy of Dunces. John Kennedy O'Toole

Riki Tiki Tavi and Jungle Book, Kipling. Heck, I think I read them twice before I was 12. My parents probably read them to me three or four times as a child before I could read them myself. Wind & the Willows, Kenneth Grahame, same thing but I haven't re-read it as an adult. Might do it. Man, I loved it as a child.

Illiad and Odyssey, Homer - different translations. One in older English and one in modern American.

OMG. how did I leave off Wodehouse? Thanks Fang.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My youngest daughter, who inhales books, gave me "Normal People" by Sally Rooney for X-mas. I reread it again within three months when I found out it was made into a television series by the BCC and Hulu.

Just walking over and scanning over my libary, I've got certain authors that I read a lot of. Here are authors and books that I pull out to reread chapters of and/or in their entirety from time to time:
- John Iriving ("The Cider House Rules," "A Prayer for Owen Meany")
- Ann Patchett ("Run" "Commonwealth")
- Tom Perrotta ("The Wishbones," "The Leftovers")
- Robert Stone ("Outerbridge Reach," "Damascus Gate")
- Walker Percy ("The Second Coming")

Regarding the "Harry Potter" series, I read aloud all but one (the last) of each book to my children, then came back to read them by myself.

And in the world of mysteries, I keep coming back to two authers in particular:
- Dennis Lehane (the Kenzie and Gennaro novels)
- Carol O'Connell (the Mallory books)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Thomas Guide. Anyone who lives in California, or any other state that had them - before the days of GPS on our cell phones (Waze and Google Maps), we had to get manual directions by looking up addresses in the Thomas Guide. I think almost every driver in California had one in their glove box!!

On a serious note, the greatest series of books I ever read (if you are a fantasy buff like I am) was the series by David Eddings - The Belgariad. Set of 10 books. Best fantasy novels ever written IMHO and I've read hundreds. Read them numerous times.

The other series of books that I've loved and read many times over the years is the series by Jean Auel - the first book was Clan of the Cave Bear. Dreadful movie with Darryl Hannah, but fantastic books. Fictional obviously, but with tons of history and archeological facts that make you believe how history unfolded as the neanderthals became extinct and homo sapiens advanced.

Reaction Score
Wow, the comment about Middlemarch (I can't believe she married him), made me think of a certain Henry James novel, which I should read twice as it was fantastic. I read Middlemarch and can't remember that part! I did enjoy the book and when I read it, I kept thinking how wonderfully the author can write.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom