Booking a Disney Vacation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Booking a Disney Vacation

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
AAA no longer has a relationship with Disney and don't offer discounts.

They still have a relationship with Disney, but they used to be able to offer discounts beyond what any other agency could. They even had a special parking lot.

Now, they're offering the same discounts and packages as others - but their service is still top-notch.

Reaction Score
dates are open on costco. I should also mention that while the park hopper pass is nice, it's not a necessity either. It is significantly cheaper to do the 4 day pass - you get all 4 parks, one per day(cannot repeat entry to any parks). The caveat is that you cannot change parks. If you're staying outside of a Disney hotel, this is usually not a big deal.

The unfortunate part for first-time goers is that you usually decide while there what works best for you. Some people can spend all day in any of the parks. Others discover a park might not have enough to sustain interest for their 6-year old, and leave half-day. It takes several trips to find your groove, so don't be surprised if there is some wasted energy spent in the meantime. The benefit of the park hopper is it's easier to course correct that trip as opposed to next time. The cost of the park hopper is, well, the cost. They could have a good time either way, that is true.

The only thing I would say about 4 days is I think 2 days should be Magic. Preferably first day (since it is a knockout for first impressions) and the last day (since the kids will spend at least a part of the day at all 3 other parks wishing they were back at Magic; fireworks over the castle is also a great last impression). So to do 4-days, I'd recommend dropping a different park. Given the ages, it would probably be Epcot (which is my personal fav), but that could change depending on individuals. I still think 5-day is the perfect sweet spot.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My family has gone several times, though not recently. Staying on property is ideal but more expensive than the best deals you'll find off property (even with Swan and Dolphin). The All-Star resorts (sports, music, one other) are least expensive on property and good for kids. The wilderness cabins (not the resort nor the campsites) are slightly more expensive but will make it easier to be independent of the food plan. This setting also is the most fun option for the kids, IMO.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Having gone in April with a 5 yr old, 2 things I'd adjust. Magic Kingdom should be a 2 day event. If you stay at an economy hotel like Art of Animation, it's incredible with the Nemo pool, but can be a long tiring walk, depending where your bus drop & room is.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I answered on the women's thread as well. I'm adding here because I see Wilderness Lodge mentioned a few times. I do think that particular setting is the most fun option for kids, though I would look into the cabins at that setting rather than the lodge itself.

Reaction Score
Both have been mentioned, but Wilderness and Animal Kingdom are in the park and cheaper than the three options mentioned. My kids enjoyed seeing the animals from our Safari view room at AK. Using the shuttle bus wasn't an issue for us. Boma, the in-house restaurant at Animal Kingdom, is very good.

You want to stick with a meal plan for convenience, so I would go with a less expensive resort (where you don't spend much time, anyway) instead of ditching the meal plans.

Reaction Score
With young kids meal plan probably not needed, it's an unnecessary expense. There are many hotel alternatives which will be substantially cheaper such as the All Star Resorts up to the Swan/Dolphin hotels, all of which do require using Disney bus system but this system does work well.

The quoted hotels are a real luxury and they will have a great time staying at any on-site hotel. Having visited WDW a zillion tines I would suggest with little ones in tow getting to parks early, taking hotel break in middle of day and using Fast Pass system will help make this a better experience.

Uber works great to and from airport and yes it can get Florida chilly in January.

Congrats for working on a generous project, please send a message, glad to chip in.
^^^ this. Grand Floridian is top of the heap. I had no issues in the All-Star resorts (bottom of heap). Difference is $100s/day.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Was there about a year ago for my daughters 10th birthday. For us using the meal plans and staying at the resort was the best option especially if they aren't renting a car or any of that. It was nice to only have to tip and the servers are extremely helpful in letting you know whats included. My travel agent even set up all of our food reservations within the park and our fast passes up. I usually just email her and say here is how much I have what can you get me and it's generally far more than what I could manage to put together on my own on the Disney site.

I would say that with 2 kids under 10 you aren't going to want to stay at the most expensive options usually the more expensive the less kids you see in that part of the resort. I would say go with contemporary or lower and get the meal plans. Even the disney resorts that are less than the contemporary resorts (Pop Century, All-Star Movies, All Start Sports) literally have almost all the same stuff for less money. The only major difference is more families and an extra pool with a slide.

Reaction Score
We were Disney junkies long before we moved to Florida. Now we have a Florida Residents' Pass. I mention this because what follows is based on real-life.

Here's the deal: Did you tell the agent you want to go all out and give them the best facilities? Because that is what the agent gave you, the most expensive places in the joint. They also are not necessarily the most kid-friendly places, either. What kind of place is the Floridian? They serve high tea every day. If features like that will impress the family that's going, this is the place for them. If not, you are being steered in the wrong direction.

If the family is going to the park every day, why in the world would you want to spend all that money on a hotel room they see only when they go to bed? If you want to spend lots of money on a hotel, you could do the Yacht or Beach Club, which share what, IMHO, is the nicest pool ever. A wonderful water slide, sand-bottom pool, lazy river, and all sorts of other stuff. These hotels are $400+ a night per room, but at least the kids get something to do. In fact, they could plan a whole day never leaving the hotel property.

There are an infinite number of ways to spend less on hotel rooms. I do not mean to be cynical, but I am not impressed that the person who gave you prices and is someone's friend is not doing you any favors by giving you the most expensive deals in the house.

Swan and Dolphin are nice, but I hear (not from personal experience) that the rooms are small, and I've never heard that they were all that attractive to kids.

A nice compromise might be Caribbean Beach. It's on the Disney bus line, so you don't have to drive to the parks, and it has a really nice kids' pool with a slide. It's better than the All-Star Resorts, which are kind basic, and it is more expensive than it should be, but that's true of all Disney resorts. It also should be a bunch cheaper than the Floridian.

So some questions to ask: When in January? The date may make a difference in terms of price. You need to ask.
What other hotels might be okay? Find out if the kids are really looking forward to visiting Animal Kingdom. If so, there are hotels on the edge of the property, from some of which you can see some of the African animals. Very cool. Expensive, but at least the kids are a reason for booking there.
Do they need the full meal plan or the lesser one? The full one gives you more sit-down meals. I think the lesser one gives fewer full-service meals and more cafeteria-style meals.
I am assuming these prices include park admission, yes?

As someone mentioned, there are family and "value" resorts. We stayed a night in Pop Century recently and did not really care for itl, but that's just us. All these "value" places have one real plus: a food court where you can eat more cheaply than you would be able to otherwise.

You need to think about the fact that with two adults and two kids, the schedule will largely be determined by the kids' stamina and attention spans. Also, what kind of shape is Grandpa in? You know the saying -- EPCOT stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired. They are not kidding, The place is gigantic.

For whatever it's worth, I'd be happy to help with this and also to suggest ways they can see the things they want to see without wasting time on things they really don't want to see. (Every year when I took my daughter, I mapped out a plan with the order in which we would try to ride all the riders. Now she has two kids and, technology being what it is, she has a color-coded time chart that does the same thing. There is just too much to see, and never enough time or energy, so they have to be prepared for that.

Send me a message offline if you want, and I can be more specific.

Reaction Score
We were Disney junkies long before we moved to Florida. Now we have a Florida Residents' Pass. I mention this because what follows is based on real-life.

Here's the deal: Did you tell the agent you want to go all out and give them the best facilities? Because that is what the agent gave you, the most expensive places in the joint. They also are not necessarily the most kid-friendly places, either. What kind of place is the Floridian? They serve high tea every day. If features like that will impress the family that's going, this is the place for them. If not, you are being steered in the wrong direction.

If the family is going to the park every day, why in the world would you want to spend all that money on a hotel room they see only when they go to bed? If you want to spend lots of money on a hotel, you could do the Yacht or Beach Club, which share what, IMHO, is the nicest pool ever. A wonderful water slide, sand-bottom pool, lazy river, and all sorts of other stuff. These hotels are $400+ a night per room, but at least the kids get something to do. In fact, they could plan a whole day never leaving the hotel property.

There are an infinite number of ways to spend less on hotel rooms. I do not mean to be cynical, but I am not impressed that the person who gave you prices and is someone's friend is not doing you any favors by giving you the most expensive deals in the house.

Swan and Dolphin are nice, but I hear (not from personal experience) that the rooms are small, and I've never heard that they were all that attractive to kids.

A nice compromise might be Caribbean Beach. It's on the Disney bus line, so you don't have to drive to the parks, and it has a really nice kids' pool with a slide. It's better than the All-Star Resorts, which are kind basic, and it is more expensive than it should be, but that's true of all Disney resorts. It also should be a bunch cheaper than the Floridian.

So some questions to ask: When in January? The date may make a difference in terms of price. You need to ask.
What other hotels might be okay? Find out if the kids are really looking forward to visiting Animal Kingdom. If so, there are hotels on the edge of the property, from some of which you can see some of the African animals. Very cool. Expensive, but at least the kids are a reason for booking there.
Do they need the full meal plan or the lesser one? The full one gives you more sit-down meals. I think the lesser one gives fewer full-service meals and more cafeteria-style meals.
I am assuming these prices include park admission, yes?

As someone mentioned, there are family and "value" resorts. We stayed a night in Pop Century recently and did not really care for itl, but that's just us. All these "value" places have one real plus: a food court where you can eat more cheaply than you would be able to otherwise.

You need to think about the fact that with two adults and two kids, the schedule will largely be determined by the kids' stamina and attention spans. Also, what kind of shape is Grandpa in? You know the saying -- EPCOT stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired. They are not kidding, The place is gigantic.

For whatever it's worth, I'd be happy to help with this and also to suggest ways they can see the things they want to see without wasting time on things they really don't want to see. (Every year when I took my daughter, I mapped out a plan with the order in which we would try to ride all the riders. Now she has two kids and, technology being what it is, she has a color-coded time chart that does the same thing. There is just too much to see, and never enough time or energy, so they have to be prepared for that.

Send me a message offline if you want, and I can be more specific.

Reaction Score
The Wilderness Lodge is a good choice being so close to the Magic Kingdom -- and for some reason, it is cheaper than the Polynesian. Great pool, convenient location.

I would toss the Grand Floridian. It's the Disney resort for people who like Disney, but don't like kids.

You could save a bunch of money by stepping down from the deluxe resorts to the moderate resorts - I've never stayed at one of them, but the Caribbean Beach Resort seems nice.

I'll disagree with some on the meal plan; if you're gifting this to someone and you want to reduce the friction for them, just do the meal plan.

Agreed on the meal plan. You don't want to send them there then have them starving to death. People that need financial help don't usually have the cash to enjoy $9 hot dogs. They'll love that luxury.

As far as the resorts go, I agree on the Wilderness Lodge, cool place. However, the moderate resorts are probably adequate. Years ago I stayed at the Key West themed place with some friends and that was fine. They had a decent pool, restaurant etc. and the 3 bedroom unit was clean and well maintained. I can't imagine they'd be disappointed with it given the circumstances. They'd be better off there along with some spending money to go with it than breaking the bank on the hotel.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Wilderness Lodge is a good choice being so close to the Magic Kingdom -- and for some reason, it is cheaper than the Polynesian. Great pool, convenient location.

I would toss the Grand Floridian. It's the Disney resort for people who like Disney, but don't like kids.

You could save a bunch of money by stepping down from the deluxe resorts to the moderate resorts - I've never stayed at one of them, but the Caribbean Beach Resort seems nice.

I'll disagree with some on the meal plan; if you're gifting this to someone and you want to reduce the friction for them, just do the meal plan.

Wilderness has no monorail, which drops the price. We stayed at the Beach Club when my daughter was small. It worked out very well, and both it and the Yacht Club are priced more like Wilderness, and below the three monorail resorts.

Good friends who go annually (yes, I know) stayed at Contemporary last year and said it is completely updated now and very "Disney", like the other hotels. It also has big rooms. You can get a room with a balcony looking at the MK fireworks, which saves some big headaches. I walked from Beach Club to Epcot fireworks every night, and it was great.

Agree on the mealplan, but explain to them what that means. Many of the popular restaurants, with Character meals book up months in advance. If not on the monorail, the I'd vote Beach Club.

Supplement: One of the benefits of the Epcot area hotels (Beach, Yacht and Boardwalk) is that there is a water shuttle to Epcot or Hollywood (or you can walk to Epcot, it's very close) plus Boardwalk has a lot of stuff going on. ESPN place for example, and performers along the boardwalk. Another plus is the Beach/Yacht club share a pool area that is the biggest and most fun for kids of any of the hotels. It's almost a water park.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having stayed in the Disney area some 50+ times over the last 20 years, traveled with lots of children and extended family and being somewhat of a Disney Historian;

Your best bet is to stay off property in a two bedroom suite like Staybridge Suites on Lake Buena Vista, or similar. There are many such properties.

Rent a nice size car through Priceline "name your own price". The car and Suite with taxes will run you less than $2K giving you the extra $4000+ that you save by not staying at a place like the Grand Floridian (very nice, but very overrated and very, very overpriced) to pay for all your meals and all of your tickets, and then some. There are ten of thousands of rooms in the Disney area. The competition to sell hotel rooms is fierce. In January you could probably get a Marriott, Sheraton or Hilton for a $100 or less (again through Priceline, name your own price if you do it a month or so out from when you travel). A little scary, but I promise you will succeed.

Staying in any Disney property (vs. staying offsite) is a really bad deal. You are paying a lot for location and very little of value. The things that any of these properties offer, such as character breakfasts which I highly recommend, cab be taken advantage of no matter whether you stay on site or off site.

The space you get with a two bedroom suite and sitting area gives everyone the space they need to decompress after a long day. Space is an important key to a great vacation! Frankly, given the choice of staying at a property like Staybridge for $1500 a week, or the Grand Floridian for free, I would choose to pay for the suite.

Don't get caught up in the Disney only Mantra. A ten year old kid would probably enjoy the Universal Studios and Bush Garden (Tampa, an hours drive) experiences more than they will Disney.

The Disney parks are so busy these days that most kids become frustrated waiting and watching to do things other kid are doing. The parks are definitely not what they used to be.

Message me if you want to talk about how we do it.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wilderness has no monorail, which drops the price. We stayed at the Beach Club when my daughter was small. It worked out very well, and both it and the Yacht Club are priced more like Wilderness, and below the three monorail resorts.

Good friends who go annually (yes, I know) stayed at Contemporary last year and said it is completely updated now and very "Disney", like the other hotels. It also has big rooms. You can get a room with a balcony looking at the MK fireworks, which saves some big headaches. I walked from Beach Club to Epcot fireworks every night, and it was great.

Agree on the mealplan, but explain to them what that means. Many of the popular restaurants, with Character meals book up months in advance. If not on the monorail, the I'd vote Beach Club.
Yes the Contemporary is totally updated.

Reaction Score
Having stayed in the Disney area some 50+ times over the last 20 years, traveled with lots of children and extended family and being somewhat of a Disney Historian;

Your best bet is to stay off property in a two bedroom suite like Staybridge Suites on Lake Buena Vista, or similar. There are many such properties.

Rent a nice size car through Priceline "name your own price". The car and Suite with taxes will run you less than $2K giving you the extra $4000+ that you save by not staying at a place like the Grand Floridian (very nice, but very overrated and very, very overpriced) to pay for all your meals and all of your tickets, and then some. There are ten of thousands of rooms in the Disney area. The competition to sell hotel rooms is fierce. In January you could probably get a Marriott, Sheraton or Hilton for a $100 or less (again through Priceline, name your own price if you do it a month or so out from when you travel). A little scary, but I promise you will succeed.

Staying in any Disney property (vs. staying offsite) is a really bad deal. You are paying a lot for location and very little of value. The things that any of these properties offer, such as character breakfasts which I highly recommend, cab be taken advantage of no matter whether you stay on site or off site.

The space you get with a two bedroom suite and sitting area gives everyone the space they need to decompress after a long day. Space is an important key to a great vacation! Frankly, given the choice of staying at a property like Staybridge for $1500 a week, or the Grand Floridian for free, I would choose to pay for the suite.

Don't get caught up in the Disney only Mantra. A ten year old kid would probably enjoy the Universal Studios and Bush Garden (Tampa, an hours drive) experiences more than they will Disney.

The Disney parks are so busy these days that most kids become frustrated waiting and watching to do things other kid are doing. The parks are definitely not what they used to be.

Message me if you want to talk about how we do it.

Best of luck.
You are absolutely right about staying offsite. I simply recommended Disney properties because that was the situation we were given. I just thought that if they were going to stay with Disney, they could do better than the specific recommended hotels. Without knowing the details of this family's situation, it looked to me like they were trying to pay up for convenience. If I were doing it and felt compelled to stay at Disney, I'd do what we did last time: use a car and drive from Pop Century to Animal Kingdom, which is faster than using the bus. But if these folks don't know their way around or are fearful drivers or just don't want the hassle, we have to figure that into the equation.

As for Universal, since Harry Potter arrived, it can be as crowded as Disney. As for its attractiveness to tweens, no question: 8-10 years olds would love a day there.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, one other thing. It is interesting to me that the three hotels your agent suggested are all on the monorail to Magic Kingdom. That's a real convenience and the hotels are wonderfully luxurious, but is the family going to spend more than a day at the Magic Kingdom? If not, and if they want to not use a car and instead use the Disney transportation system, they will take the monorail to the transportation center and switch to another monorail (to get to Epcot) or a bus (to get elsewhere). If the family is gong to all the parks, you want to look at all the hotel options and see how they will get from Point A to Point B each day. That may b the factor that helps you decide what hotel to use.
And as the previous poster said, you save a bundle renting a car and staying offsite, but you have to be prepared to drive.

Reaction Score
You can stay at a Hampton Inn near Disney with four in a room for $120.00 a night including "all you can eat" breakfast buffet. I stay at Hampton Inns all the time. Run by Hilton. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
^^^ this. Grand Floridian is top of the heap. I had no issues in the All-Star resorts (bottom of heap). Difference is $100s/day.

Stayed at pop century my first time. Thought it was fine and a lot cheaper. Was not in the room much anyway.
Staying at Coronado springs in a couple months. It's a moderate upgrade I believe.
You spend so much down there I figure try save on resort if you can.

Reaction Score
With Disney, doing planning and research is key. The best way to enjoy DW is tobook and plan it far enough in advance so that you can get fast passes (ride reservations) and restaurant reservations. These fill up as soon as they are available. Spending a day or two doing research will help you better do this planning. Look at these two sites. In particular sign up for the mousesavers newsletter, as they send special deals to just their newsletter subscribers. Undercover Tourist also offers official online discounts to Disneyworld tickets and Disneyworld hotel stays that you will not get by going directly to Disney or a travel agent (as they get their cut).

Disney discounts, deals & coupons guide - MouseSavers.com

Disney World tickets | Discount attraction tickets, hotels, and car rental | Undercover Tourist

If you are willing to spend more time doing research, go to the Disney Discussion boards:

The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Also, another good planning site is www.allears.net

Here is a list of other sites if the previous ones aren't enough:

MouseSavers.com - Links to Useful Disney Sites

Good Luck, and I hope that this helps!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the Disney "Quick Service" is? I just google it and it's shown as a dining plan, but the quote already has a dining plan option. Is this redundant, or is the dining plan an upgrade of quick service?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the Disney "Quick Service" is? I just google it and it's shown as a dining plan, but the quote already has a dining plan option. Is this redundant, or is the dining plan an upgrade of quick service?

Quick service is an adult package involving your choice of two Disney princesses.

Aside from that childish-ness, I agree that the Crystal Palace buffet is excellent But I thought the Hoop De Doo Review was the the most disappointing thing in Disney

As someone who has been there way more than I think is sane, the biggest tip for Disney with smaller kids is to discard any itinerary (outside of character meals) and go with the flow. Your kids will love the ambiance, the characters, the parades, etc., far more than seeing the most attractions.

Reaction Score
Personally I would stay at the vistana resort, relax by the pool, or play a rousing game of shuffle board. You can grab drinks at Zimmies there pool bar and enjoy a starwberry daiquiri.

When you hit the parks you have no need for any type of speed pass, rather just wait in long lines in the hot hot sun. As far as rides I would visit, the Captian EO, back to the future, the human body, carousel of progress, and the murder she wrote mystery theatre, fantastic world of hanna barbara, and definitely Jaws.

For dinner try beef steak charlies. ground round and ho jos..

Reaction Score
With Disney, doing planning and research is key. The best way to enjoy DW is tobook and plan it far enough in advance so that you can get fast passes (ride reservations) and restaurant reservations. These fill up as soon as they are available. Spending a day or two doing research will help you better do this planning. Look at these two sites. In particular sign up for the mousesavers newsletter, as they send special deals to just their newsletter subscribers. Undercover Tourist also offers official online discounts to Disneyworld tickets and Disneyworld hotel stays that you will not get by going directly to Disney or a travel agent (as they get their cut).

Disney discounts, deals & coupons guide - MouseSavers.com

Disney World tickets | Discount attraction tickets, hotels, and car rental | Undercover Tourist

If you are willing to spend more time doing research, go to the Disney Discussion boards:

The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Also, another good planning site is www.allears.net

Here is a list of other sites if the previous ones aren't enough:

MouseSavers.com - Links to Useful Disney Sites

Good Luck, and I hope that this helps!
There are all good sources. Another is the time-tested book, "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World." In it you learn the value of setting up a schedule of when you do what. But no matter which of these the family uses, or if they don't use any of them, they absolutely have to decide what they want to do at each part each day. Do not even talk about doing more than one park in a day; it's just not feasible.
Once they've decided, they need to stick to their plan. The alternative is to be walking through Fantasyland on the way to Tomorrowland and have one of the kids point to the Dumbo ride, which looks nice but is a waste of time and takes forever to get on and off, and, having frittered away an hour, find yourself facing even longer lines at the attractions you really want to see.

I know you're there to have fun, but the reality is that fun means getting to see the things you want to see, and the only way to do that, usually, is to have a plan and stick to it.

Reaction Score
Personally I would stay at the vistana resort, relax by the pool, or play a rousing game of shuffle board. You can grab drinks at Zimmies there pool bar and enjoy a starwberry daiquiri.

When you hit the parks you have no need for any type of speed pass, rather just wait in long lines in the hot hot sun. As far as rides I would visit, the Captian EO, back to the future, the human body, carousel of progress, and the murder she wrote mystery theatre, fantastic world of hanna barbara, and definitely Jaws.

For dinner try beef steak charlies. ground round and ho jos..

And definitely fly TWA, Eastern, US Air, or Continental.

Reaction Score

There are two items of value that only come when you stay on-site. The first is the extra hours at selected parks for those staying at Disney hotels. There is one park each day with an extra hour in the morning and often one park at night. When the parks are crowded, you can see more in that one hour than you can in four hours during the rest of the day. The second item is the ability to use the Disney transportation system to get to the parks. It is much simpler to not take your car and get delivered right at the door. When you drive to the Magic Kingdom, you park over a mile away and take a shuttle into the park. Wastes a lot of time, especially at the end of the day.

You need to decide how much you value items like that. Also staying on-site immerses one more into the Disney experience. But it definitely is more expensive. As noted above, Disney's lower-priced resorts, like Port Orleans, are still nice and much cheaper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom