OT: - Book suggestions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Book suggestions

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Already listened to it - it was great. McCullough books, especially the ones he narrates, are a favorite - if you haven’t gotten to The Great Bridge and The Wright Brothers, I highly recommend both.

Already listened to it - it was great.

PS - I would have died on day one. I just would have laid on the ice and given up.
Try Valient Ambition and Destiny of the Republic

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you like Civil War era books that are a little different (not sure if they in audio) try Our Man in Charleston which is about the British consul who, in effect, spied on the secessionist o emend as England was deciding on whether to support North or South.

The President’s War is about how the former Presidents who survived at least to the beginning of the Civil War, related to each other and Lincoln on the driving issues that resulted in the war.

If you aren’t tied to American history, The Lion And the Unicorn about the difficult rivalry between British PMs Disraeli and Gladstone during the 19th century, is interesting.

I’d recommend a book by an author whose bed I sleep in, but I hate the audio production. It’s fiction, but based on a true story.

Reaction Score
1544276377693.jpeg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I second this selection
Have not read it myself, but I’ve heard from friends Charles Krauthammer put out a powerful memoir before his passing this year

Reaction Score
Already listened to it - it was great. McCullough books, especially the ones he narrates, are a favorite - if you haven’t gotten to The Great Bridge and The Wright Brothers, I highly recommend both.

Already listened to it - it was great.

PS - I would have died on day one. I just would have laid on the ice and given up.

I wouldn’t have made it out of the pub in the whaling village.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy listening to books by Jon Ronson. I have to read most non-fiction to stay engaged but his writing style translates well to audio IMO.

Reaction Score
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Civil War historical fiction but very tight to actual events.

Reaction Score
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

Reaction Score
I just read “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Googins which I really enjoyed.

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris.
The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough about the Panama Canal.

Chop Wood, Carry Water by Josh Metcalf

Reaction Score
I just read “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Googins which I really enjoyed.

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris.
The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough about the Panama Canal.

Chop Wood, Carry Water by Josh Metcalf

I find metcalf to be obnoxious and preachy. I think fishy would hate the guy. I picture him being very angry with anyone telling him what to do

Reaction Score
I find metcalf to be obnoxious and preachy. I think fishy would hate the guy. I picture him being very angry with anyone telling him what to do
Actually I only mentioned that book, tongue in cheek, since Hurley had the team read it.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. Great story + Great writing = I will not be banned (I hope).

Reaction Score
Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea by Frank Delaney.

Reaction Score
Going Clear, Lawrence Wright's book about Scientology, is pretty great.

Everybody seems to like Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. I did, far more than his other books.

I second 8893's nomination of Life by Keith Richards. The blurb on the back says something like, "Reading this book is like being allowed to sit in a room with Keith Richards and ask him every question you'd ever want to ask him." Definitely one of the top 5 autobiographies I've ever read. (I don't often think of Keith Richards and Malcolm X together.)

Whatever you do, don't read H is for Hawk, by Helen Macdonald. Unless you're suffering from insomnia. Then, definitely.

I tend to read more fiction than non-fiction. I enjoy the escape.
I second Devil in the White City. Concurrent stories that come crashing together.

Reaction Score
Once the audible credits are used, you may consider the Hardcore History podcast. Usually 20 hour episodes about various historical subjects.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I did some Christmas shopping this weekend and purchased several books as gifts, including "Educated" by Tara Westover, a memoir written by a young girl raised and home schooled by survivalists in Idaho. I was so intrigued by it that I signed up for an Audible trial when I got home and selected it as my free book. Started listening this morning and I am already hooked.

It's stunning how good a writer she is--and this is her first novel--after never having been to school before college (where she learned for the first time what Europe is and there was something called the Holocaust...).

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

Reaction Score
I recommend two already listed above, Boys In The Boat and Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage. If you like Ambrose let me also recommend "Nothing Like It In The World" about the building of the continental railroad.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I did some Christmas shopping this weekend and purchased several books as gifts, including "Educated" by Tara Westover, a memoir written by a young girl raised and home schooled by survivalists in Idaho. I was so intrigued by it that I signed up for an Audible trial when I got home and selected it as my free book. Started listening this morning and I am already hooked.

It's stunning how good a writer she is--and this is her first novel--after never having been to school before college (where she learned for the first time what Europe is and there was something called the Holocaust...).
Almost halfway through this already. Very compelling and fascinating. Truly amazed at the quality of the writing and depth of her insights at such a young age. Highly recommend.

Reaction Score
So Chief is Don Kelbick?

I do not enjoy that man's teaching style at all. All of his videos he comes across as a bad teacher.

Attack and Counter is hot garbage imo. He WANTS players to use chairs in drills. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
"Billion Dollar Ball" by Gilbert Gaul.
Very well documented book about the growth in sports revenue (and expenses) over the last 35 years. Texas, for example, had a total athletic department budget of about $4M in the early 80's but by the 2015 or so it was over $170M. He has data on all the really big programs regarding revenues and their growth in the last 30 years as well as how they spend it and how they've maximized "seat licenses", "seat transfer fees", and other means of extracting major money from donors and fans.
As a counterpoint he provides some details on how small colleges like Haverford sponsor more sports and have much higher percentages of students playing intercollegiate athletics for the experience of it while the big boys primarily spend big money to buy the facilities, coaches and players they need to win championships that will enhance the brand (and the bank accounts of the coaches, AD's, etc.).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom