Bonus Lesson #2: Chat room/text abbreviations & acronyms | The Boneyard

Bonus Lesson #2: Chat room/text abbreviations & acronyms

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Those of us who've been around a long time might use some shortcuts rather than typing out certain phrases. Unfortunately, people who don't surf the Internet a lot might not always understand what's being said. So here's a list of some common abbreviations and acronyms that you might have seen on the Boneyard or other Internet sites. Feel free to inquire if there are some that you've wondered about that aren't on the list.

addy - Address
AFAIC - As far as I'm concerned
AFAIK - As far as I know
BFF - Best friend forever
bump - Bring/bump up my post. Usually posted to make a post rise to the top of the board.
FB - Facebook
FWIW - For what it's worth
GOAT - Greatest of all time
IAC - In any case
ICBW - I could be wrong
IDK - I don't know
IIRC - If I recall correctly
IMHO - In my humble opinion
IMO - In my opinion
IOW - In other words
J/K - Just kidding
K - Believe it or not, shorthand for OK. Don't ask me why 2 letters need to be abbreviated
LMAO, sometimes LMFAO - Laughing my ass off. You know what the other letter means
LOL - Laugh out loud
NM - No message. If someone posts their thought in the subject line, they may put NM in the body of the post to indicate there's no further message
OP - Original Poster, a person who starts a thread, it can also mean original post, the first post in the thread
OTOH - On the other hand
ROFL - Rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
SMH - Shaking my head
TY - Thank you

Basketball positions:
PG - point guard, also called the 1 or 1 guard
SG - shooting guard, also the 2 or 2 guard
SF or F - Small forward sometimes called just a forward. Also called the 3
W - wing, a person that plays SG and F also called the 2/3
PF or F - Power forward, or the 4. Some people are 3/4 and have skills used by those that play SF or PF are just called forwards
C or P - center or post, or 5. Players that are called posts usually have both PF and C skills although I have heard center and post used interchangeably

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I always question what 'smh' is and plan to look it up but forget. Thanks. Very helpful.

Reaction Score
I'm still looking for the "on-ramp" to the information superhighway!!!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Those of us who've been around a long time might use some shortcuts rather than typing out certain phrases. Unfortunately, people who don't surf the Internet a lot might not always understand what's being said. So here's a list of some common abbreviations and acronyms that you might have seen on the Boneyard or other Internet sites. Feel free to inquire if there are some that you've wondered about that aren't on the list.
K - Believe it or not, shorthand for OK. Don't ask me why 2 letters need to be abbreviated
LMAO, sometimes LMFAO - Laughing my ass off. You know what the other letter means
LOL - Laugh out loud
NM - No message. If someone posts their thought in the subject line, they may put NM in the body of the post to indicate there's no further message
OTOH - On the other hand
ROFL - Rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
SMH - Shaking my head
TY - Thank you

But you can ask me why... ;^)

Comes from a time when phones were not smart. When using the keypad to create text, "OK" required 5 keypresses, since 'O' is the 3rd letter on the 6 key and 'K' is the 2nd letter on the 5 key.

2 keystrokes beats 5 every time when you're an avid texter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom