Boneyard Walk of Shame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Walk of Shame

Reaction Score
Love Whaler posts but a strange flex....
I'm wondering how my ignore was turned off but reminded why I put it on.
Nothing better than a blowhard waiting until after a contest to make a point. Lame.

Only thing last night proves is that even good teams have bad games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm wondering how my ignore was turned off but reminded why I put it on.
Nothing better than a blowhard waiting until after a contest to make a point. Lame.

Only thing last night proves is that even good teams have bad games.

I made the point beforehand snowflake.

Funny that wasn’t the takeaway when Notre Dame got rolled.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Last night's game doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame was the least deserving playoff participant in this current 4-team playoff scam system. I've said other dumb(er) things here too but that particular post was far from it. There isn't a doubt in my mind (still) that UCF, Georgia or Ohio State would have given Clemson a much better game than Notre Dame. Notre Dame capitalized on a mediocre ACC-based schedule and playing traditional big names in their extreme down cycles. I'm (still) completely unimpressed by it. Just like '18 Alabama, whenever Notre Dame plays against someone with a smidge of talent, they fold quick and cheaply. They've been folding cheaply against good competition for much longer than 2018 Alabama too.

Also of note, Notre Dame finished 5th in the final rankings. Oklahoma stayed in the top 4 despite losing to the runner-up. No other rationale for that other than admitting that the Committee got the top 4 wrong.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last night's game doesn't change the fact that Notre Dame was the least deserving playoff participant in this current 4-team playoff scam system. I've said other dumb(er) things here too but that particular post was far from it. There isn't a doubt in my mind (still) that UCF, Georgia or Ohio State would have given Clemson a much better game than Notre Dame. Notre Dame capitalized on a mediocre ACC-based schedule and playing traditional big names in their extreme down cycles. I'm (still) completely unimpressed by it. Just like '18 Alabama, whenever Notre Dame plays against someone with a smidge of talent, they fold quick and cheaply. They've been folding cheaply against good competition for much longer than 2018 Alabama too.

Also of note, Notre Dame finished 5th in the final rankings. Oklahoma stayed in the top 4 despite losing to the runner-up. No other rationale for that other than admitting that the Committee got the top 4 wrong.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame

So let’s throw out the actual results and go with what Dooley believes even after all the evidence to the contrary.

UCF went undefeated playing in the worst division in college football - but ignore that I guess.

It was a silly opinion PRIOR to the games it’s absurd now.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So let’s throw out the actual results and go with what Dooley believes even after all the evidence to the contrary.

UCF went undefeated playing in the worst division in college football - but ignore that I guess.

It was a silly opinion PRIOR to the games it’s absurd now.

As opposed to throwing out actual game results, actual season statistics, AND actual final standings results and go with what whaler says even when the game, stats, AND final standings say and prove otherwise?

Are we supposed to be impressed with beating Michigan - who also loses in every big game they ever play in? Or beating 4-loss Stanford? Please tell me you're not sucked in by wins over powerhouse Northwestern, Pitt or Syracuse. Maybe it's the 30th ranked total defense or the 32nd ranked total offense that we're all supposed to ignore because you say so. What exactly are we ignoring again?

And what's your rationale for Notre Dame being in over Georgia and/or Ohio State again? Still sticking with lousy divisions there too? Just about every team who finished in the top 25 would have given Clemson a better game than Notre Dame.

The only thing absurd here is this thread.

Reaction Score
"Downtrending"........

From Notre Dame's SID, Michael Bertsch:

@NDsidBertschy

Most ND Wins Over Any Two-Year Span

1988-89: 24

2017-18: 22

1992-93: 21

1989-90: 21

1973-74: 21

Notre Dame went 22-4 (.846) over the last 2 years -- 4th-best among the Power-5.

Here's where the Irish rank among the Power-5 in other categories the last two seasons:

Final AP Top-25 Wins - 7 (t-4th)

AP Top-25 Wins - 7 (t-4th)

FBS Wins - 22 (5th)

Power 5 Wins - 17 (5th)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As opposed to throwing out actual game results, actual season statistics, AND actual final standings results and go with what whaler says even when the game, stats, AND final standings say and prove otherwise?

Are we supposed to be impressed with beating Michigan - who also loses in every big game they ever play in? Or beating 4-loss Stanford? Please tell me you're not sucked in by wins over powerhouse Northwestern, Pitt or Syracuse. Maybe it's the 30th ranked total defense or the 32nd ranked total offense that we're all supposed to ignore because you say so. What exactly are we ignoring again?

And what's your rationale for Notre Dame being in over Georgia and/or Ohio State again? Still sticking with lousy divisions there too? Just about every team who finished in the top 25 would have given Clemson a better game than Notre Dame.

The only thing absurd here is this thread.

The facts clearly favor what Notre Dame did over teams like UCF. It’s only a blind hatred of Notre Dame that doesn’t allow you to see it.

Total defense and offense - lol. At least get some real stats. Who they beat? UCF - lol.

Alabama didn’t give Clemson a better game, so I’m not sure I’d guarantee that Kentucky would.

Every team you are ranting about crapped themselves in the last week except Ohio State who tried their best to gag away a game against 4 loss Washington.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think Georgia is better than Notre Dame too but.... they lost twice.

Reaction Score
It is not a question of relevance because any team with their own broadcast network for years is relevant. You can even say they started this money race in CFB.

The issue is that their 12-0 record was not better than UCF's 13-0 record and very likely not nearly as good as some 1 loss teams. ND's lack of conference affiliation and lack of a 13th data point should be held against them.

Since UCF's game with UNC was cancelled they only played 12 games Including the AAC championship game therefore also lacking the "13th data point"

Dooley

Reaction Score
The facts clearly favor what Notre Dame did over teams like UCF. It’s only a blind hatred of Notre Dame that doesn’t allow you to see it.

Total defense and offense - lol. At least get some real stats. Who they beat? UCF - lol.

Alabama didn’t give Clemson a better game, so I’m not sure I’d guarantee that Kentucky would.

Every team you are ranting about crapped themselves in the last week except Ohio State who tried their best to gag away a game against 4 loss Washington.

Notre Dame didn't "crap themselves" in the final week because they don't play in the final week...while everyone else is forced to. Make no mistake, Notre Dame absolutely would have crapped themselves if they played Clemson in the ACC CG...which is exactly where their annual crapping belonged. Not shoved down everyone's throats in a final 4 playoff.

That's kind of the point. Ignoring the 13th data point for a team that played against a very mediocre 12 game schedule - and put up pedestrian team stats against said schedule - because why? Because Notre Dame was good 50 years ago? Anyone who watched a decent amount of games this year could see very easily that Notre Dame was nowhere close to being in a top 4 discussion. There are a handful of 1 and 2 loss teams that were clearly better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame didn't "crap themselves" in the final week because they don't play in the final week...while everyone else is forced to. Make no mistake, Notre Dame absolutely would have crapped themselves if they played Clemson in the ACC CG...which is exactly where their annual crapping belonged. Not shoved down everyone's throats in a final 4 playoff.

That's kind of the point. Ignoring the 13th data point for a team that played against a very mediocre 12 game schedule - and put up pedestrian team stats against said schedule - because why? Because Notre Dame was good 50 years ago? Anyone who watched a decent amount of games this year could see very easily that Notre Dame was nowhere close to being in a top 4 discussion. There are a handful of 1 and 2 loss teams that were clearly better.

Yeah Notre Dame doesn’t play FCS - so they have 12 datapoints just like the SEC, Big 12 and AAC.

Btw - the last week was last week. I.e UCF getting drilled by LSU’s backups and Georgia embarrassing themselves against Texas.

Keep moving the goalposts. Maybe you can convince yourself it doesn’t matter how many games you lose doesn’t matter based on your personal eye test.

Reaction Score
Yeah Notre Dame doesn’t play FCS - so they have 12 datapoints just like the SEC, Big 12 and AAC.

Btw - the last week was last week. I.e UCF getting drilled by LSU’s backups and Georgia embarrassing themselves against Texas.

Keep moving the goalposts. Maybe you can convince yourself it doesn’t matter how many games you lose doesn’t matter based on your personal eye test.
I’d argue UCF - Milton was way worse than all of LSUs losses.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’d argue UCF - Milton was way worse than all of LSUs losses.

Maybe they still got pushed around by a team that didn’t have a cornerback. Not like good cornerbacks. Cornerbacks.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Just a slight difference in playing in a winner-take-all playoff game versus playing in a glorified scrimmage to fill air time at ESPN, don't you think? Especially when, like you said, half of every team's players sit out to not hurt their draft status.

And let's not forget that the QB is the single most important position on the field. Mack - who is a backup too! - couldn't throw the ball into an ocean. UCF wasn't beating anyone that afternoon. Not LSU's backups. Not Vanderbilt's backups. Not Tulane's backups. Not La Tech's backups. They probably would still beat our backups though (our starters too). Once Milton was injured, UCF's 2018 playoff resume was injured too.

Point is the Committee has used the conference championship games as a de facto paper tiger weeding out process...until this year. No doubt that the selection criteria varies by candidate and, for whatever reason, Notre Dame still carries weight. It's funny though because each and every time they get thrust into these big stage games in the past several decades, they come up well short each and every time.

I know grandpappies will always love Notre Dame because they were good back in the day and it's always fun to reminisce about the good ol' days. But it's hard to justify their inclusion into the 2018 playoff. Most people knew full well they were going to get blown out by Clemson before the game even started. In fairness, they would have been blown out no matter who they played against. But the Committee must've felt that Notre Dame waited for their turn long enough and put them in a game that they were in way over their heads to satisfy a segment of the Old Money Club.

Reaction Score
"Downtrending"...

@NDsidBertschy

Notre Dame went 22-4 (.846) over the last 2 years -- 4th-best among the Power-5.

Here's where the Irish rank among the Power-5 in other categories the last two seasons:

FBS Wins - 22 (5th)

Power 5 Wins - 17 (5th)
Recent bowl record is indicative of some issues...

Maybe your ancient rivals have weakened?

Dooley

Reaction Score
"Downtrending"...

@NDsidBertschy

FBS Wins - 22 (5th)

Power 5 Wins - 17 (5th)

Notre Dame’s lost 8 straight big bowls. Let’s rank them

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just a slight difference in playing in a winner-take-all playoff game versus playing in a glorified scrimmage to fill air time at ESPN, don't you think? Especially when, like you said, half of every team's players sit out to not hurt their draft status.

And let's not forget that the QB is the single most important position on the field. Mack - who is a backup too! - couldn't throw the ball into an ocean. UCF wasn't beating anyone that afternoon. Not LSU's backups. Not Vanderbilt's backups. Not Tulane's backups. Not La Tech's backups. They probably would still beat our backups though (our starters too). Once Milton was injured, UCF's 2018 playoff resume was injured too.

Point is the Committee has used the conference championship games as a de facto paper tiger weeding out process...until this year. No doubt that the selection criteria varies by candidate and, for whatever reason, Notre Dame still carries weight. It's funny though because each and every time they get thrust into these big stage games in the past several decades, they come up well short each and every time.

I know grandpappies will always love Notre Dame because they were good back in the day and it's always fun to reminisce about the good ol' days. But it's hard to justify their inclusion into the 2018 playoff. Most people knew full well they were going to get blown out by Clemson before the game even started. In fairness, they would have been blown out no matter who they played against. But the Committee must've felt that Notre Dame waited for their turn long enough and put them in a game that they were in way over their heads to satisfy a segment of the Old Money Club.

Pretty hilarious when the UCF backers are playing the bowl motivation card. Thought that was for when UCF beats someone.

Notre Dame went undefeated. Trying to argue 2 loss teams is absurd.

You hate Notre Dame and are so upset about what you feel is unfair to the G5 that you are saying nonsensical things like Northwestern and Utah State would account themselves better against Clemson.

Reaction Score
"Downtrending"...

@NDsidBertschy

FBS Wins - 22 (5th)

Power 5 Wins - 17 (5th)
And their best win the last two years?

Combined ND opponent records the last 2 years?

And how does a conference champion with a 13th game stack up against a 12 game ND? ND never plays that final game against a really strong conference opponent. If they were in the B1G or ACC and had to play game 13,their chances of being in the top 4 drops significantly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And their best win the last two years?

Combined ND opponent records the last 2 years?

And how does a conference champion with a 13th game stack up against a 12 game ND? ND never plays that final game against a really strong conference opponent. If they were in the B1G or ACC and had to play game 13,their chances of being in the top 4 drops significantly.

LOL back to 13 data points ignoring that Notre Dame doesn’t play an FCS game.

If anyone needs evidence that their bias is absurd.... this is a Boston College fan mad he couldn’t get into Notre Dame who’s last 30 posts are anti-Notre Dame on a UConn board.

If you agree with him.....

Reaction Score
LOL back to 13 data points ignoring that Notre Dame doesn’t play an FCS game.

If anyone needs evidence that their bias is absurd.... this is a Boston College fan mad he couldn’t get into Notre Dame who’s last 30 posts are anti-Notre Dame on a UConn board.

If you agree with him.....
My bias came from my dad who was aPurdue grad. I was raised with the mantra that ND is always overrated. And I have a few other posts.

Back to reality, how does ND not playing a meaningful championship game versus every other potential CFP playoff team not become a factor?

Reaction Score
ND went 12-0, including wins over 3 ranked teams in the final polls (no team beat more).

It beat two 10 win teams and two 9 win teams. It had 10 P5 wins. It didn't play an FCS scrimmage for a "13th data point". (It has never played an FCS team)

Ohio State lost by 29 points to 6-6 Purdue. Georgia had 2 losses, one by 20 points.

ND earned its place in the playoffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom