Boneyard Poll: Who should be our next men's basketball coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Poll: Who should be our next men's basketball coach?

Who does the Boneyard want for UCONN's next Men's Basketball coach?

• Jim Calhoun

• Tom Crean

• Dan Hurley

• Eric Konkol

• Steve Pikiell

• Donyell Marshall

• none of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tom Crean. His name carries some weight. He can compete at the highest level. He can recruit across the nation not just one area.

jTjl_mUz.jpeg

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
The problem with Billy Donovan is that the Thunder season likely won’t end until the end of next month at the earliest. We would have to wait at least two months to get that ball rolling, by which time recruits are making decisions and transfers will have happened. It might not be worth the gamble to wait.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
None of the list - except maybe JC
some speculatives seem near impossible to get - Donovan for example
others need work - Marshall but I wouldn't mind Donyell as an asst with JC
Crean - no way
Hurley - yeah he's a sexy name but he has a team of 4 seniors and a jr starting and he gets beat 3 of last 5 games and outcoached in every one of those loses. He would have lost in the semis if St Joes best player wasn't hurt. In that league, URIne should have walked through the tournament with all that experience on the floor. His OOC record is not good. Let's see what he can do in the dance. He also signed a big extension during the summer and if UConn ends up paying KO - a huge possibility - where is all this $ coming from? Not my choice now
Pikiel has done a good job at Rutgers - better than most of us would have thought and if he hadn't experienced that along with the huge extension he signed recently, it would be an interesting choice
Konkol - I honestly know very little about him to comment
I think UConn should see what shakes out in the next few weeks - if I had to choose from that list? JC for a couple years with a very strong candidate under him in the wings
Maybe though, it's time to look outside the UConn family

Reaction Score
I would love Donovan, who wouldn't? But remind me again of two things. 1. Why after making 30 mil would he ever consider a rebuild/rebrand in storrs ct in the AAC? 2. How in the hell are we going to pay for him. His starting salary probably has a 4 in front of it.

Reaction Score
As long as we don't go after Chris Jans, I'll be a happy UConn fan and NMSU alum(NMSU is a sleeper who could end up as a Cinderella in the tourney.)

As much as I hate the "traitor" Paul Weir would be a great get for UConn and him leaving New Mexico would piss off Vance Jackson.

Reaction Score
the thing about JC, you fire Ollie for "cause" suspected ncaa violations and bring back the coach that originally put you on probation and reduced scholarships in the first place??? Don't see that flying.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'd love Billy Donovan, but it's a pipe dream, not likely at all.

Hurley seems like the obvious choice. Went to Wagner, brought them back to relevance, went to URI and did the same. Imagine what he could do at a historically Top 10 program like us. Love the intensity his players play with, almost Calhoun-esqe.

I know the man is dirtier than a two day old diaper, but we all can safely assume a Pitino hire would bring W's with the quickness. But I don't see UConn going in that direction, Calhoun wouldn't sign off on it, and there's just too much bad juju attached to him currently. Imo he's in the same category as Donovan... pipe dream

intlzncster

Reaction Score
None of the list - except maybe JC
some speculatives seem near impossible to get - Donovan for example
others need work - Marshall but I wouldn't mind Donyell as an asst with JC
Crean - no way
Hurley - yeah he's a sexy name but he has a team of 4 seniors and a jr starting and he gets beat 3 of last 5 games and outcoached in every one of those loses. He would have lost in the semis if St Joes best player wasn't hurt. In that league, URIne should have walked through the tournament with all that experience on the floor. His OOC record is not good. Let's see what he can do in the dance. He also signed a big extension during the summer and if UConn ends up paying KO - a huge possibility - where is all this $ coming from? Not my choice now
Pikiel has done a good job at Rutgers - better than most of us would have thought and if he hadn't experienced that along with the huge extension he signed recently, it would be an interesting choice
Konkol - I honestly know very little about him to comment
I think UConn should see what shakes out in the next few weeks - if I had to choose from that list? JC for a couple years with a very strong candidate under him in the wings
Maybe though, it's time to look outside the UConn family

So basically there's no young coach in America worth a damn. And since the program was screwed under Ollie, it was screwed no matter what. Sweet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd love Billy Donovan, but it's a pipe dream, not likely at all.

Hurley seems like the obvious choice. Went to Wagner, brought them back to relevance, went to URI and did the same. Imagine what he could do at a historically Top 10 program like us. Love the intensity his players play with, almost Calhoun-esqe.

I know the man is dirtier than a two day old diaper, but we all can safely assume a Pitino hire would bring W's with the quickness. But I don't see UConn going in that direction, Calhoun wouldn't sign off on it, and there's just too much bad juju attached to him currently. Imo he's in the same category as Donovan... pipe dream

We'd probably have 2 more years of (severe) sanctions if we took Pitino. In our situation, it would be the death penalty.

Idk that Donovan is even going to be fired.

Reaction Score
Chris Jans at New Mexico State should absolutely be considered. He comes from the Gregg Marshall coaching tree.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Question is: is he too stubborn to bring in an offensively minded assistant?

One of his offensive problems is that terrell and EC matthews are terrible passers. They're young sophomore guard could be a great player though.

The fact that theyre a top 25 team with one 6'8 guy playing center is amazing.

It’s the Edsall question. I honestly do not know what his offensive philosophy is. I can only go by what I see. But I want Benedict to find someone with a modern offensive approach. I am so tired of watching ugly basketball. KenPom had Davidson higher than URI by the way. They won’t be top 25 now.

I’m pretty sure Davis at MTSU plays great offense. But he’s likely to take one of the SEC openings.

Reaction Score
As a Nebraska fan that really needed Rhode Island to win today, i now have a big grudge held against Danny Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom