Boneyard Meanings | The Boneyard

Boneyard Meanings

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Much like Andre the Giant was perplexed at his colleague's use of "Inconceivable!"; I find myself perplexed by the meaning of some phrases used here on the Boneyard.
Here is a thread for deciphering phrases that should not be taken literally. I'll start off with two; add on to this as you wish.

"Not to pick on <player's name>" really means "I am about to find fault with <player's name>, but please do not fault me for faulting her."

"Generational Talent" really means "Player of the Year Talent"

Anyone else have Boneyard meanings they want to decipher?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Positioless basketball." I think what some posters mean when they use that term is that a player can play multiple positions. Eg. Kia Nurse can play PG and SG.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Much like Andre the Giant was perplexed at his colleague's use of "Inconceivable!"; I find myself perplexed by the meaning of some phrases used here on the Boneyard.
Here is a thread for deciphering phrases that should not be taken literally. I'll start off with two; add on to this as you wish.

"Not to pick on <player's name>" really means "I am about to find fault with <player's name>, but please do not fault me for that."

Not to pick on BostonBay, for at least one other poster started using this term, but I do not think the phrase means what he/her thinks it means. Granted, a generation is a fuzzy term. I always thought of it as being about twenty years. Checking out the Internet it seems thirty years is currently in vogue, but I am fine with constraining the span to ten basketball years. To be a generational talent Boston needs to do at least as well as Stewart (if you go by championships or accolades) or better than Ionescu (if you go by stats). Hmmm.

I'm fine with constraining the meaning further by positions. In this case Boston will have to prove herself at least as good as Cambage, though literally Boston needs to be better to be generational. What? You want to constrain the meaning further to apply to college only. In that case Griner still falls within a ten year span. Yet we can forgive fans for being myopic in their view. In other words, Boston will prove to be generational if she outperforms the last high performing center at South Carolina. Um, that would be Wilson.

Once again, not to pick on BostonBay, but I think he/her really means player of the year talent, which Boston may prove to be before her college career is over.

No ,I have nothing else that needs to be cleared up! Just do not take anything you read here literally. BTW, I enjoyed the intertwining of UConn wbb and "The Princess Bride". Two of my favoerite things all tied up in a bow! Nicely done. Additionally, if in the future any poster should irk you insufferably, just reply Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink and they will take your meaning!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, then there are the meaningless expressions;
"x needs to step up".
"let the game come to you".
"give 110%"
"leave it all out on the floor"
"play within herself"
"take it to the next level"
"x team just wanted it more than y team"
"x is in a zone"
"it was a team effort"
These are just off the top of my head. I am sure that y'all can come up with more and better ones.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

"Not to pick on <player's name>" really means "I am about to find fault with <player's name>, but please do not fault me for faulting her."

Reference to Andre the Giant's reaction to a Princess Bride quote really means the reaction of the character he played, Fezzik.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Some terms have both legitimate and other Boneyard/bonehead definitions. E.g.,
Fan n., 1. person who avidly follows and roots for a team or player, regardless of competitive outcomes.

2. A self-impressed spectator who is convinced that he or she knows more than the coach, and is, therefore, righteously entitled to speak ill of players and members of the coaching staff. Cf., insufferable buffoon, blowhard, sidewalk superintendent.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The "bank" is open. Has a player ever made a bank shot and the announcer not said the bank is open. Where is the originality?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Well, then there are the meaningless expressions;
"x needs to step up".
"let the game come to you".
"give 110%"
"leave it all out on the floor"
"play within herself"
"take it to the next level"
"x team just wanted it more than y team"
"x is in a zone"
"it was a team effort"
These are just off the top of my head. I am sure that y'all can come up with more and better ones.
These are primarily cliche's, but the are not ALL without meaning. lines 1,2,4,5,6,7 have meaning to me and if someone were to say that to me I would understand what they are expecting out of me.

Reaction Score
No ,I have nothing else that needs to be cleared up! Just do not take anything you read here literally. BTW, I enjoyed the intertwining of UConn wbb and "The Princess Bride". Two of my favoerite things all tied up in a bow! Nicely done. Additionally, if in the future any poster should irk you insufferably, just reply Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink and they will take your meaning!
Humperdink, humperdink, humperdink

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Humperdink, humperdink, humperdink
Failure to capitalize the proper name each and every time results in disqualification. As in UConn wbb, you must practice until you cannot get it wrong. ;)

Reaction Score
Great change of pace thread, get a few to come in off the ledge.... ;)
Not so much decipher but explain. I often use the term "no attack" when quoting someone with just a difference of opinion. This due to the fact the prose / vernacular in print does not contain tone of voice or expression of the spoken word. Thus many taking offense to something simply meant as another view of the topic.

Not complaining but I have seen the term throwing up bricks a couple times lately... YIKES ..:eek:
I used that in a thread a couple years ago and took the heat from Hades for it. Glad to see many have now accepted and under stand it.

QUOTE="donalddoowop, post: 3399883, member: 6552"]
The "bank" is open. Has a player ever made a bank shot and the announcer not said the bank is open. Where is the originality?
[/QUOTE]
Not sure but from your avatar and your slogan you have been around awhile. This leads me to believe you remember the day when the 8,10, 12 foot bank shot was coached as "money in the bank"! Actually a higher percentage than going for the swish only. A great diversion for the short player that could not switch hands while avoiding "eating Wilson" was to use the glass. (Great for myself in the day.)
Now the term back then when taken deep and made it was called a s#!+ shot. Be reminded this was before the three point line, came to be. What would one use to appease the modern listener? And by the way no attack.:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reference to Andre the Giant's reaction to a Princess Bride quote really means the reaction of the character he played, Fezzik.
And actually it wasn't Andre the Giant or Fezziks reaction. It was Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin). :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to attempt to decipher Geno’s rating scale here on the BY by the number of times he uses “really” as an adverb, as in she’s “really good.” We know that he will use between 1 and 3 really’s to qualify something but we’re not quite sure what exactly that means.

So if Geno tells us that Paige Bueckers is really, really, really good, we know that means she’s really good. But just how good is she? We don’t quite know. :confused:

CL82

Reaction Score
And actually it wasn't Andre the Giant or Fezziks reaction. It was Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin). :cool:
How did I not pick that up?! I love that movie. I read an article on hypothetical casting of a remake. Some were quite good, some less so. I think Fezzik is the hardest role to replace. Andre the Giant's portrayal so lovable and it such is a contrast to his size. I doubt that there is someone else who could do it justice. Certainly not the Rock, who the author suggested.

1579187461337.png

Look at the size difference here (especially head size). Keep in mind that Cary Elwes is 6 feet tall.

Reaction Score
One of the greatest things about the Boneyard is the enjoyment I get from different posters such as Carnac, Bama Fan, and CL82 using some nostalgic information from movies, comic books, ect. to make their points. I've probably watched "Princess Bride fifteen times and continue to enjoy some of the greatest satire humor ever filmed. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Ah, thanks for the correction. For my previous failure at due diligence I decided I should post the referenced clip as my penitence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some terms have both legitimate and other Boneyard/bonehead definitions. E.g.,
Fan n., 1. person who avidly follows and roots for a team or player, regardless of competitive outcomes.

2. A self-impressed spectator who is convinced that he or she knows more than the coach, and is, therefore, righteously entitled to speak ill of players and members of the coaching staff. Cf., insufferable buffoon, blowhard, sidewalk superintendent.
Those are the only 2 possibilities?. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How did I not pick that up?! I love that movie. I read an article on hypothetical casting of a remake. Some were quite good, some less so. I think Fezzik is the hardest role to replace. Andre the Giant's portrayal so lovable and it such is a contrast to his size. I doubt that there is someone else who could do it justice. Certainly not the Rock, who the author suggested.

View attachment 49977
Look at the size difference here (especially head size). Keep in mind that Cary Elwes is 6 feet tall.

Now this is a big! Why isn't Geno recruiting 7'6'' players?

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually, come to think of it, it was Vicinni (Wallace Shawn.) The Montoya quote was something like "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Now this is a big! Why isn't Geno recruiting 7'6'' players?
The standard door height in the U. S. is six feet eight inches. The cost of refurbishing the UConn campus would be prohibitive, especially in light of the huge losses in the athletic department this past year. So we must sacrifice for the general benefit of the taxpayers of Connecticut. ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Actually, come to think of it, it was Vicinni (Wallace Shawn.) The Montoya quote was something like "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Too much confusion here. Let me try to clean it up a bit. The original poster posited that Andre the Giant was "perplexed" by his colleague's use of the word inconceivable. Soon @CL82 attempted a clarification by noting that it was the character Andre portrayed, aka Fezzick, that was perplexed by the usage. @meyers7 then rang in to say that it was Inigo Montoya, portrayed by Mandy Patinkin, who expressed his dismay at the improper usage of the aforementioned
and ill advised choice of inconceivable. At this point we were back on track, and the OP, @diggerfoot , offered his apology for the confusion and graciously added the clip of the scene depicting the original version. Off we go , but then @CL82 reentered the fray and introduced the previously unmentioned Vincini played by the inimitable Wallace Shawn. Now we have all the players, and the stage is set. Back to @diggerfoot and his clip depicting the true scene. Vincini utters the ill used phrase, Inigo responds by expressing his incredulity. Meanwhile Fezzick/Andre looks on unknowingly. And all is right with the world again, unless you are watching this messy ballgame!

CL82

Reaction Score
And all is right with the world again, unless you are watching this messy ballgame!
It’s inconceivable that we would stand around this much on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom