Boneyard Meanings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Meanings

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, come to think of it, it was Vicinni (Wallace Shawn.) The Montoya quote was something like "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Actually (we keep using that word). Vicinni used the word. It was Montoya's reaction to the word. ;)

But anyway digger put the whole scene up a couple posts above.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Great topic, @diggerfoot ! Over the years, I have had frequent discussions like this about basketball phrases/meanings with @ucbart , @HuskyNan , @EricLA (even going back to when he was EricSanDiego).

As a Boneyard visitor for many years (over 17 years, factoring in Rivals, Scout, and all of the previous platforms), here are some terms with, dare I say, "unique Boneyard meanings" that I have learned along the way...

--- "Let it play out" (when NOT used by moderator/administrator/recruiting insider) - a phrase indicating that while some BY posters are worried about whether a top recruit will pick UConn, Geno Auriemma has such a track record of success on the recruiting trail that there is no need to worry or panic right now.

--- "Let it play out" (when used by moderator/administrator/recruiting insider) - said poster has inside knowledge that he/she cannot share, but generally feels good about the positioning of UConn with respect to said recruit.

--- "She hustles" - a phrase to indicate that said UConn player is not athletically gifted, not a star player, not a first/second/third option on offense, yet is highly likable to BY posters based upon the effort given on the court and is integral to the team's success.

--- " ____ (insert name of UConn player) dominated the game" - a UConn player who is not currently the team's star had one great game and is expected by the BY faithful to be named to next year's preseason All-American team.

--- "This just shows that _____ is biased against UConn" - used when a media outlet picks a non-UConn player for a preseason All-American team at a position over a UConn player at said position.

--- "You cannot teach height" - a phrase often used to discuss a tall recruit who picked another school (besides UConn) about whom the poster may not have much information.

--- "This is the worst team in ___ years" - a phrase used after a gritty win or a tough loss to an elite opponent to indicate that UConn's record is either 16-0 or 15-1 and is not ranked #1, but is a top five team.

--- "Boneyarder" or "Boneyard Poster" - a term to indicate that said individual/poster is a UConn fan first and, at a very distant second, a realist.

Thank you all for letting me share these and for making me feel welcome to post here. :)

Reaction Score
A BY meaning that has come to light frequently this year (but it's also been used in years past)

"This is a fair to middlin team" (or any variation on this theme). Apparently these posters think the NCAA has only a dozen teams or so!! Could you imagine the angst if UCONN's performance actaully was about 175 out of the approx 350 teams?

Reaction Score
How did I not pick that up?! I love that movie. I read an article on hypothetical casting of a remake. Some were quite good, some less so. I think Fezzik is the hardest role to replace. Andre the Giant's portrayal so lovable and it such is a contrast to his size. I doubt that there is someone else who could do it justice. Certainly not the Rock, who the author suggested.

View attachment 49977
Look at the size difference here (especially head size). Keep in mind that Cary Elwes is 6 feet tall.
I know!
Off topic, but if you are a fan of The Princess Bride, listen to the audio book AsYou Wish, narrated by Cary Elwes. You’ll thank me later.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Well, then there are the meaningless expressions;
"x needs to step up".
"let the game come to you".
"give 110%"
"leave it all out on the floor"
"play within herself"
"take it to the next level"
"x team just wanted it more than y team"
"x is in a zone"
"it was a team effort"
These are just off the top of my head. I am sure that y'all can come up with more and better ones.
All of the above used adnauseam by Meghan Babbleson.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Not getting your own teams names correct. More Kyla and Olivia Nelson-Ododa mess ups than I can stand. At least know your players names.
Great point. It is so dismissive to get someone's name wrong. Especially since posters are not under a time limit and could look it up if they were unsure. Maybe the mods should insist on players numbers only! You know, # 25 could be Kyla, or Kyra, or Kayla or Irwin, or maybe Irving. Something along those lines!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
How did I not pick that up?! I love that movie. I read an article on hypothetical casting of a remake. Some were quite good, some less so. I think Fezzik is the hardest role to replace. Andre the Giant's portrayal so lovable and it such is a contrast to his size. I doubt that there is someone else who could do it justice. Certainly not the Rock, who the author suggested.

View attachment 49977
Look at the size difference here (especially head size). Keep in mind that Cary Elwes is 6 feet tall.

IIRC, Andre had about 72 teeth when he died. Another of my favorite factoids about him is that a silver dollar (an old one, not Susan B Anthony) could pass through a ring that he wore on his ring finger. And, of course, that he drank 114 (I think, or was it 118) beers in a sitting. He was one of my favorite people ever.

Reaction Score
Pterodactyl wingspan-not necessary,Us New Englanders have had two other Birds who didn't necessarily have this,(Larry and Sue),and they were both great.
Oozes potential-I can't think of anything good to say about anything that oozes.
A shooters bounce-When i was little my dad let me shoot his 12-gauge shotgun.
A dose of swagger-Two letters-DT
Elusive and tough to contain in the open court-What happens when the guards forget to put the leg irons on the alleged perp.
Scorers mentality-A guy who thinks about girls all the time.
Finishing skills-Does Uconn have a finishing school?
Mismatch creator-When a color-blind individual puts their spouses socks away in the draw.
Unlimited range-Where a Texas prospect might live.
Electrifying beyond the arc-This is probably a welding screw-up situation.Stay back,Waaay back.Jet quick-Of added importance if you play the wing position.
A menace or enforcer on the block-The biggest and baddest individual in the neighborhood.
Quick in the paint-Especially if you have your good shoes on.
Cleans the glass-Can't even get my cleaning person to do this for money.
Makes passes with pizzaz and flair-Her teammates have the bruises and knots on their head to prove it.
Weaves through traffic and delivers under duress-The Uber eats guy.
Stops and pops with results-Agressive person in a tough neighborhood.
Has huge upside-If i'm looking for a good rebounder i would rather they have a huge backside.
A real slasher with a killer jab-step-Do not,i repeat,go near this person.
Lights out twine snapper-The following letters-KML_KLS_BS_DT_MM_SB.
Speed Merchant-Is this a legal business?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
IIRC, Andre had about 72 teeth when he died. Another of my favorite factoids about him is that a silver dollar (an old one, not Susan B Anthony) could pass through a ring that he wore on his ring finger. And, of course, that he drank 114 (I think, or was it 118) beers in a sitting. He was one of my favorite people ever.
I wonder how one knows that they drank over a hundred beers in a sitting. From personal experience, after eighteen or twenty, I do not remember how many more I had. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom