Boneyard hysteria | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boneyard hysteria

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and what is your wise alternative to the "go get em next year" crowd? We lost to Creighton twice and a first round tournament game, your solution is?

On the surface you seem like a spoiled POS.
the only thing in ur jibberjabber that is 100% correct is asking olehead for a 'wise alternative,' cuz olehead, along with very few others here, is truly wise in calling talent.
member when olehead told us all aboot a sort of unknown named cam whitmore? i do. let's take a looksee into what some are saying aboot mr whitmore today:
when coach wright retired, 'all eyes immediately shifted toward 5 star recruit cam whitmore, ... cuz if he did decide to transfer, he'd be not only the most coveted prospect in high school, but also the most coveted player in the transfer portal.'
Five-star prospect Cam Whitmore debating future at Villanova

no 'expert' at the time of olehead's opinion could have even imagined this outcome, sooooooo, olehead 1, rest of the flotsam 0.

what u got?

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
and what is your wise alternative to the "go get em next year" crowd? We lost to Creighton twice and a first round tournament game, your solution is?

On the surface you seem like a spoiled POS.
Nice, and from our distant interaction you assume such, from my even evaluation of DH over the last three years. I gave him the yung bull mulligan for sideline and strategy gaffes through 2020. And your inquiry Could be devalued as petulant ad hominem to be written off summarily, written off further fueled by your evident Fandom of that triple a L.I. Mets program:)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Very thoughtful post and criticism. I respect your thoughts and agree with some aspects of your criticism. The essence of my post is that laypersons too often base their opinions about the behavior of experts on minimal information and a lot of assumptions that fail to give the expert even the slightest benefit of the doubt. Hurley has flaws of course but he has also demonstrated considerable expertise. The boneyard is filled with opinions based on very little true understanding of the issues. This, in my opinion, is hard to argue. However, this does not mean that reasonable, fair, intelligent posters do not exist on the boneyard. Of course they do. I was speaking to those that jump to absolute truths from very little evidence. Yes, everyone is entitled to have their opinion and the debates are fun. Interjecting a reminder to temper our opinions with some degree of hubris… I thought was warranted in this situation. Some appear to agree and others not so much. :)
An excellent, thoughtful response. Nice.

There’s a boatload of basketball knowledge and history collectively in the site members. That’s what makes it worth coming here. And (using politics only peripherally) as we’ve seen over the last, say, at least 22 years disagreement with a ‘current administration’ doesn’t mean you’re wrong.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Oh wow, you have D1 coaching experience? please enlighten us. Should we fire our coach for losing to Creighton? How dare he.
Relax. Back off your monster induced light roast.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
An excellent, thoughtful response. Nice.

There’s a boatload of basketball knowledge and history collectively in the site members. That’s what makes it worth coming here. And (using politics only peripherally) as we’ve seen over the last, say, at least 22 years disagreement with a ‘current administration’ doesn’t mean you’re wrong.
Thanks for the insights. Yes, I do fully appreciate the thoughts of many on this sight and come here for the same reason you stated… to learn what’s going on with the team from the insiders’ perspectives and the more helpful posters who have more knowledge than I about history and/or current happenings. It’s the pointless bickering over speculation and opinions that are loosely related to facts as well as the unnecessary vitriol that’s hard to stomach at times. But such as the world of social media! :)

Reaction Score
This post needs a fisking, unfortunately.

This is a straw man argument, yet another logical fallacy. I read those same posts - in fact, I probably posted a couple of them - and very few showed "panic" or rejection of Hurley. The majority wondered how it could have been that the staff was so wrong in assessing the ability of 3 highly ranked and aggressively recruited guards that they felt, after those post-season discussions, that their best option was to transfer for playing time. We all are aware of the portal, and understand that you are more likely to find solid contributors if you are shopping in the 'already proven' aisle. But that doesn't explain why Floyd didn't play when it was clear that Gaffney and Diggins weren't trusted to contribute. It doesn't explain how the staff was unable to develop highly ranked guards like Gaffney and Diggins into productive college players. Unless, of course, they were completely off in their evaluations when recruiting them.

While you're right that very few of us have Div. 1 coaching experience, or even playing Div. 1 ball, we have all played and watched and sometimes coached a lot of basketball. We know how teams work, how players and coaches interact, and we know talent when we see it. My questions on Hurley started when I saw him not playing Whaley, when what I saw was a quick and agile defender with high energy and court smarts. It took an injury for him to get his chance.

I saw a couple of "fire him" posts. I took them to be hyperbole. Apparently you didn't. And I've said he's a much better recruiter than Ollie, obviously, but there are questions about guard evaluations that need to be answered. Castle will probably do that. But if you want to compete with the big boys you cant swing and miss often.

They are just opinions. Everyone has them. Some are right, some are wrong. Right or wrong are not often known immediately. Some are only proven right much later, as time and events reveal. It's best to have some humility about right or wrong until those events become determinative.

There are very few chicken littles here. Virtually all of us want to see UConn in the running for national championnships every year, but when a team flames out in the first round 2 years in a row against lower ranked teams, you get concerned.

Then you follow up with another straw man. You don't have to coach a D1 hoop team to know basketball. Having been on this board for a number of years, there are a lot of members with deep basketball knowledge. Yes, even if they haven't coached D1.
Well done!!

Reaction Score
Nice, and from our distant interaction you assume such, from my even evaluation of DH over the last three years. I gave him the yung bull mulligan for sideline and strategy gaffes through 2020. And your inquiry Could be devalued as petulant ad hominem to be written off summarily, written off further fueled by your evident Fandom of that triple a L.I. Mets program:)
What a bore...oy vey

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a monumental moment in Husky Hoops ("is the price increase worth the product?" ....that is basically the consensus for the insane spike in season ticket prices the FANS have seen (this is not a post to discuss that)).... Huskies are officially back in the spotlight of the CBB world and there is no doubt that Coach Hurley's energy was magnetic from the start....HOWEVER....there comes a point when what is coming out of your mouth needs to come to fruition for the UCONN FAITHFUL to trust ....here is a list of goals that might be pivotal to the success desired for next year and beyond:

1. Schedule Creighton @ Harry A. Gampel Pavilion on a mid/late Saturday afternoon in February
2. Don't get embarrassed at the Phil Knight Invitational
3. Win the 1st Big East Conference game (we lost to Providence last year....)
4. Hurley to not blame the FANS at all during the year (maybe tone it down a bit all together and start getting it done in between the lines....)
5. Beat Creighton (don't care where, don't care how....)
6. Finish Top 3 in BE standings (should be Top 2 but Top 3 is acceptable with the above listed items checked off....)
7. Make BE Tourney Final (should be "win it all" but this is the big bad BIG EAST right....)
8. WIN AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME!!!!

....but what do I know

Reaction Score
It's a monumental moment in Husky Hoops ("is the price increase worth the product?" ....that is basically the consensus for the insane spike in season ticket prices the FANS have seen (this is not a post to discuss that)).... Huskies are officially back in the spotlight of the CBB world and there is no doubt that Coach Hurley's energy was magnetic from the start....HOWEVER....there comes a point when what is coming out of your mouth needs to come to fruition for the UCONN FAITHFUL to trust ....here is a list of goals that might be pivotal to the success desired for next year and beyond:

1. Schedule Creighton @ Harry A. Gampel Pavilion on a mid/late Saturday afternoon in February
2. Don't get embarrassed at the Phil Knight Invitational
3. Win the 1st Big East Conference game (we lost to Providence last year....)
4. Hurley to not blame the FANS at all during the year (maybe tone it down a bit all together and start getting it done in between the lines....)
5. Beat Creighton (don't care where, don't care how....)
6. Finish Top 3 in BE standings (should be Top 2 but Top 3 is acceptable with the above listed items checked off....)
7. Make BE Tourney Final (should be "win it all" but this is the big bad BIG EAST right....)
8. WIN AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME!!!!

....but what do I know
1. Love that
2. Love that
3. Sure, don't disagree, think thats more getting momentum than anything else right?
4. This one is a 2-way street. The way we get down on the team you would think we've been to 4 straight final fours rather than won 1 tournament game in 8 years. Need to accept the climb back to the top isn't going to be a straight shot up. Nothing wrong with holding the team accountable, but got to remember these are kids we are rooting for on and off the court, who are doing their best.
5. 100% love that
6. Agree, big east is going to be loaded this year a top 3 finish would be BIIIG
7. Win it all!
8. Sweet 16!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom