Boneyard Geography in Conference Realignment (Northeast by Southwest) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Geography in Conference Realignment (Northeast by Southwest)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
London is north of Montreal.

And it's not even close.

Capture.JPG

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Until the melting freshwater from Greenland's glaciers disrupts it, inflicting much colder temps on northern Europe.
That was always the thought process right? If the Gulf Stream gets disrupted then Europe would dramatically cool to "Canada like" temperatures. Based upon the most recent theory though the Gulf Stream isn't actually keeping Europe warm it is keeping North America cool. So if the gulf stream collapsed the northern US and Canada get European like temperatures.

Reaction Score
I'm in central Netherlands for work right nearly due easy of London.

It starts getting light around 5:00am and doesn’t get fully dark until 10:30.
Yeah, I'm a tick further south in central Germany. We were sitting outside at 10pm last night when the lights started turning on.
The downside is that the birds start chattering at 4:30 am. :mad:

Reaction Score
Hilltop is the highest point between Boston & NYC. At least, I've been told, and it makes sense.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
The geographer in me is loving the trend of this thread- way more interesting than pizza...

Reaction Score
René-Levasseur Island, situated in Lake Manicouagan in Quebec, Canada is larger in area than the lake itself. It is the world’s second largest lake island. View attachment 89356
I was going to ask if there was the opposite, an island containing a lake larger than itself. Then I found this:

"Here’s a winning question for your next trivia night: Where is the world’s largest island-in-a-lake-on-an-island-in-a-lake-on-an-island? According to stories published here and here, the distinction currently goes to a nameless isle within Victoria Island in Canada’s Nunavut Territory."

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I was going to ask if there was the opposite, an island containing a lake larger than itself. Then I found this:

"Here’s a winning question for your next trivia night: Where is the world’s largest island-in-a-lake-on-an-island-in-a-lake-on-an-island? According to stories published here and here, the distinction currently goes to a nameless isle within Victoria Island in Canada’s Nunavut Territory."

Another fun fact - Canada’s Nunavut territory is further south than Syracuse University. Probably.

Reaction Score
Lake of the Ozarks - Missouri's most popular lake destination features more than 1,100 miles of shoreline – that's more shoreline than the coast of California.

Yeah but they are always killing people there. More dangerous than Chicago if you watched that show on Netflix

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
This thread...OMG! Talk about taking a tangent - you guys are nuts! LOL

Reaction Score
Oh I don’t know. Have you ever driven through Ohio?
Eastern and southern Ohio are quite hilly, and local roads are laid out like a bowl of spaghetti. For really flat country, you need to visit the Llano Estacado (Staked Plains) in west Texas or the Red River Valley in North Dakota. I'd be surprised if topographic maps of those areas have any contour lines on them. There is a little crossroads identified as Hill on I-94 not far west of Fargo, but I think it must honor a person named Hill, 'cause there sure as hell isn't a hill in those parts. On the other hand, continue west on I-94 almost to the Montana line, and North Dakota's Little Missouri River badlands are plenty rugged.

If you think Connecticut is hilly, then you've never driven over I-70 from Denver to Vail or US 550 between Ouray and Durango. Along the way, there are peaks which are two miles higher in elevation than the tallest hill in Connecticut. Of course, it's all flyover country to any of you poor souls who've never scratched an itch to see what lies around the next bend.

If both Colorado and UConn both join the Big 12, then the Huskies are going to get winded every time they have to play in Boulder.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
The state with the highest record low temperature is Hawaii (15 F). The state with the lowest record high temperature is also Hawaii (100 F). It’s tied with Alaska for the latter.

huskypantz

Reaction Score

Yellowstone National Park Is Home to a Supervolcano​

9094a289028b421aba468546b986fe24.jpg

Beneath Yellowstone National Park lies an active "supervolcano" — a distinction bestowed upon volcanoes that have seen at least one explosion release more than 240 cubic miles of material (a bit more than twice the volume of Lake Erie, according to National Geographic).
The Yellowstone volcano has actually experienced three very large eruptions, two of which qualified as "super" — though fortunately for park-goers, the most recent one was 640,000 years ago.
Today, the park's volcanic roots are evident in its hot springs, mud pots and world-famous geysers.

Reaction Score
The state with the highest record low temperature is Hawaii (15 F). The state with the lowest record high temperature is also Hawaii (100 F). It’s tied with Alaska for the latter.
The Dog Days are here.

Reaction Score
"fairly nearby partner for UCF"...

I guess over 1200 miles and a 17 hour drive is considered to be relatively close in this age of non regional conferences.

I do mourn regionality....
In the old days of regionalism, we were once conf mates with Miami. Have you ever driven from LA to Pullman? Or Boston to Miami? The problem for coastal conferences is they tend to run north/south.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
During summer sunset on the southeast edge of Lake Superior is up to 35 min before sunset on western edge of the lake.

Reaction Score

Yellowstone National Park Is Home to a Supervolcano​

9094a289028b421aba468546b986fe24.jpg

Beneath Yellowstone National Park lies an active "supervolcano" — a distinction bestowed upon volcanoes that have seen at least one explosion release more than 240 cubic miles of material (a bit more than twice the volume of Lake Erie, according to National Geographic).
The Yellowstone volcano has actually experienced three very large eruptions, two of which qualified as "super" — though fortunately for park-goers, the most recent one was 640,000 years ago.
Today, the park's volcanic roots are evident in its hot springs, mud pots and world-famous geysers.
It is just a super volcano, it is the super volcano.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the old days of regionalism, we were once conf mates with Miami. Have you ever driven from LA to Pullman? Or Boston to Miami?
No, but I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom