• Gen Y/Millenial (1982-2004)

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why do you call the pre 1945 generation, the silent generation?
I figured because most of them were dead.....or almost dead. ;)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
"Greatest" is typically applied to the generation before (1901-24), since that was one that fought in WWII.

I've always looked at the greatest generation as being those who endured the great depression, fought the 2nd world war and Korea, and then worked in the 50's and 60's to build this country into the greatest country in the world.

They were the last generation to leave their children better off than the previous generation.

Reaction Score
I've always looked at the greatest generation as being those who endured the great depression, fought the 2nd world war and Korea, and then worked in the 50's and 60's to build this country into the greatest country in the world.

They were the last generation to leave their children better off than the previous generation.

Amen...they are the generation that had the whole world looking up to America...and they're leaving us all too soon.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Amen...they are the generation that had the whole world looking up to America...and they're leaving us all too soon.

My tennis team volunteers to place flags on the graves of veterans for memorial day. 30 years ago it was done by war veterans, and I've seen their numbers fall over time.

My father's generation built this country, and sacrificed the most. My generation is an embarrassment.

Reaction Score

Not sure you're point. No one born in the 1930s fought in WWII, so if that war is the definition of the 'Greatest Generation', then the pre-war cohort isn't that Generation.

I'm just using what is reported to be the standard.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My father's generation built this country, and sacrificed the most. My generation is an embarrassment.

When one generation is given everything it needs from the previous generation without having to earn it or understand and appreciate the sacrifice and effort was needed to provide those things, that younger generation is bereft important lessons in life. I wouldn't be so fast to point fingers..the blame is easily shared IMO.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
you know...you should never ask a lady her age! ;)

but I voted just the same....

Reaction Score
So-called Baby Boom was actually two separate generations, based on social experiences and coming of age circumstances. You can put the dividing line at about 1955 (my year of birth) but the growing up experience of someone born in 1947 and someone born in 1962 was drastically different.

Reaction Score
PLEASE, no discussion here on the merits of the various generations. You are welcome to start a thread on the Cesspool for that.

I merely was trying to gain a better understanding of the age profile of the BY WCBB. The generation monikers were a simple way to do put the ages in a few groupings.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not sure you're point. No one born in the 1930s fought in WWII, so if that war is the definition of the 'Greatest Generation', then the pre-war cohort isn't that Generation.

I'm just using what is reported to be the standard.

No, but those born in the 30's lived through the great depression, many fought in Korea, worked their asses off in the 50's and 60's, and left the next generation in a far better position than they had.

A generation is usually considered to be ~ 25 years. The boomer generation clearly started in 1946, after WWII. That would put the beginning of the previous generation at ~ 1920. It's debatable, but I consider this the Greatest Generation. They sacrificed for their children far more than they benefited from their parents' generation.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure I love the "Cast Your Vote" directions for your own generation, since mine has so many people that like Groucho I do not want to associate with because they tend to be full of piss and vinegar and just way too old. But I would like to cast a vote for Generation Z, which will finally get everything about life figured out and will make sure the Huskies win their 40th NC. That way the Vols fans will be muttering, "So what if we're 32 titles behind them. We had a better SOS than them in November 2037."

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not sure I love the "Cast Your Vote" directions for your own generation, since mine has so many people that like Groucho I do not want to associate with because they tend to be full of piss and vinegar and just way too old. But I would like to cast a vote for Generation Z, which will finally get everything about life figured out and will make sure the Huskies win their 40th NC. That way the Vols fans will be muttering, "So what if we're 32 titles behind them. We had a better SOS than them in November 2037."

We wouldn't live in a country where we're allowed to even post on a message board like this if it weren't for your generation. I'm 42 and think this country will be much worse off when we no longer have members of your generation amongst us.

I'll take piss and vinegar over Generation Z any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom