Boneyard Badass Awards for USF Victory. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard Badass Awards for USF Victory. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
sorry...but its very difficult for some of us to get behind individual recognition within a program that is built on total team orientation....i don't like being negative on a post but the whole "core four thing, mvp this and that etc is so antithetical to what the larger picture is for UCONN....we just won 90 in a row and the basketball philosophy is bigger than the individual...all due respect to those that feel otherwise

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
kickasstrophysmallsizeSaniya.jpg
Nice picture of her.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings BUT - its the UConn Huskies. End of discussion.

They will always be the "Lady Huskies" to me, and so many others. As a long time fan, they were the Lady Huskies. In 85 all the female teams were Lady (whatever team).

Reaction Score
Butler only had 10? I could have sworn she had more than that. She had 8 in the first half alone.

Reaction Score
I agree Saniya was great tonight, but I find it hard to give the award to anyone except "the team" for this one.
But I must say, and it's not just because of tonight's game either, that I totally agree that we should bury the term "Core four", however catchy it may be. I think it's an insult to Saniya and she doesn't deserve it. This is a TEAM, and in BB a team has 5 players. Right now they are all essential and all playing as one. However good the individual parts, this may be one of the greatest teams in BB history, almost certainly in WBB.
Who knows, maybe she's heard the term and felt left out, and it inspired Saniya to give just that last needed ounce. I couldn't care less why; it's happened and at last I think everyone recognizes it now.
I'm not even sure I think "Fab Five" or whatever is fair either. The bench has given just enough at just the right times that we certainly couldn't have maintained the streak without them. Can anybody say "Dangerfield -19"?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Chong and Butler. Go big Nat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Glad she's playing up to her potential. I was a little concerned that Geno took her out in the first quarter, but it wasn't for long, and it didn't affect her confidence.

And this puts to bed the thread about whether she'll score 20 this season. I thought this might be the game.

Cheers, Charlie
hahahaha you thought? did you mention that in the prediction thread? lol

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nice choice Kib. I will give my choice to Saniya for her play on the court. She finally starting to take and hit those shots. Even though Gabby was her usual wonderful self. Saniya balled out tonight.

And her defense has improved as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree Saniya was great tonight, but I find it hard to give the award to anyone except "the team" for this one.
But I must say, and it's not just because of tonight's game either, that I totally agree that we should bury the term "Core four", however catchy it may be. I think it's an insult to Saniya and she doesn't deserve it. This is a TEAM, and in BB a team has 5 players. Right now they are all essential and all playing as one. However good the individual parts, this may be one of the greatest teams in BB history, almost certainly in WBB.
Who knows, maybe she's heard the term and felt left out, and it inspired Saniya to give just that last needed ounce. I couldn't care less why; it's happened and at last I think everyone recognizes it now.
I'm not even sure I think "Fab Five" or whatever is fair either. The bench has given just enough at just the right times that we certainly couldn't have maintained the streak without them. Can anybody say "Dangerfield -19"?
article-2685127-1F7E468D00000578-812_634x425.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm glad we are going to scrap "Core Four". I think it was insulting to call last year's trio, the "Big Three" or whatever they were called. Kia has been a starter for 2 seasons before this one, and hit many timely shots to help this team. Gabby's rebounding has always enabled this team to succeed. And she was "6th man" of the conference her freshman year. KLS hit many big shots last season, and Pheesa won many second opportunities with her outstanding rebounding last season. Lou, Gabby and Pheesa also contributed to scoring margins by never letting down on effort. And can we really forget about KML and her big game contributions and fantastic scoring contributions? There were several games when the "Big Three" were injured and the younger players never let them or the "Team" down. And just a side note, the "Big Three" never shared the ball as well as this year's team. The "Big Three" shared the ball very well among themselves, but less so with the younger players, with the possible exception of KLS. I loved the teams from the last two seasons, but this season's team has won my heart with their hustle, laughter, hard work, toughness, and their total team play. My two cents.

Reaction Score
I'm glad we are going to scrap "Core Four". I think it was insulting to call last year's trio, the "Big Three" or whatever they were called. Kia has been a starter for 2 seasons before this one, and hit many timely shots to help this team. Gabby's rebounding has always enabled this team to succeed. And she was "6th man" of the conference her freshman year. KLS hit many big shots last season, and Pheesa won many second opportunities with her outstanding rebounding last season. Lou, Gabby and Pheesa also contributed to scoring margins by never letting down on effort. And can we really forget about KML and her big game contributions and fantastic scoring contributions? There were several games when the "Big Three" were injured and the younger players never let them or the "Team" down. And just a side note, the "Big Three" never shared the ball as well as this year's team. The "Big Three" shared the ball very well among themselves, but less so with the younger players, with the possible exception of KLS. I loved the teams from the last two seasons, but this season's team has won my heart with their hustle, laughter, hard work, toughness, and their total team play. My two cents.

me too!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Upon further review. . .

. . . an additional Boneyard Badass Award goes to Saniya Chong.:)

I admit, I was eager to award this accolade to Geno and CD to honor them on this historic (90!) occasion. I was reluctant to honor a single player (or two or three) when all played hard, smart and had fun.

But I am attentive to compelling posts and must here acknowledge her Finest Hour. Saniya Chong - Badass vs. USF. :)

(Count the awards to Geno and CD as career achievement Badass recognition.);)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You beat me to the punch. I was going to say-

What's this crap about the fab 4?
Wasn't nothing about no fab 4 (It's Fab Five by the way). It's the Core Four. Yea, however, ummmm maybe Core Four And1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wasn't nothing about no fab 4 (It's Fab Five by the way). It's the Core Four. Yea, however, ummmm maybe Core Four And1.

The reason they are called the core 4 is that they are incredibly consistent while Saniya is not. No one would be happier than me if she became as consistent as the others but even Geno said in his post-presser. " Lets see if she does it again in our lifetime". No one knows it better than Saniya that she would follow a great game with less stellar efforts. A good sign seems to be that she is taking more pride and effort in defense and that is always the primary ingredient to building confidence that translates to offense. With Crystal Dangerfield out for the next few weeks and heading towards SC, the path is wide open for her to become as important as the other 4. If and when that happens, the core 4 will become the filthy 5 :D which will be fitting when we get the 5th NC in a row. Seems cosmic

Reaction Score
. . . go to Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey.:):)

They have taken UConn to the (90-straight) mountaintop -- again! They have created and sustained a culture of dominance that is the model for college sports programs and even pro franchises. Players have come, played, and excelled -- then moved on to successful lives, thanks to the relentless development activities, on and off the court, choreographed by Geno and Chris.

The first 90-game streak was unprecedented, so this encore is, um, "precedented."

Now let's go to 91 and keep counting.:)
Kib---far be it for me to agree with you---BUT---Saniya played her SECOND best game as a Uconn, Gabby was more than great, KLS was amazing in her reflective pass, Danger 360 scoring Wow, KIA -just perfect, Napheesa wonderful, Butler outstanding--it was more than poetry in motion--
But who wrote this poetry 30 odd years ago? Who invests hours and hours searching for this perfection?
If we cannot settle on a single Player---then the only obvious choice is the PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS TEAM WHAT IT IS.

GENO----CHRISTINE!! OTHER WISE IT IS A 12 PERSON AWARD --GENO/CHRIS AND ALL 10 CURRENT PLAYERS.
Multiple winning streaks 70, 90, 90 are unheard of and almost ridiculous

Reaction Score
I like the Just the Core--- Last night with Saniya outscoring the Fab 4---she made it FAB FIVE .

Reaction Score
Yes, but you have to have the players that are willing to sacrifice for the team. Not all who have come to UConn were willing, and they wound up transfering to other colleges where they may have found greater individual success, but much less team success, which is the ultimate goal. I don't blame any of those players for leaving; hopefully they found what they were looking for.

Reaction Score
The reason they are called the core 4 is that they are incredibly consistent while Saniya is not. No one would be happier than me if she became as consistent as the others but even Geno said in his post-presser. " Lets see if she does it again in our lifetime". No one knows it better than Saniya that she would follow a great game with less stellar efforts. A good sign seems to be that she is taking more pride and effort in defense and that is always the primary ingredient to building confidence that translates to offense. With Crystal Dangerfield out for the next few weeks and heading towards SC, the path is wide open for her to become as important as the other 4. If and when that happens, the core 4 will become the filthy 5 :D which will be fitting when we get the 5th NC in a row. Seems cosmic

PERSONALLY - I WOULD TAKE THE TERM 'CORE FOUR' AND THROW IT IN THE TRASH CAN !! (along with anyone who refers to any group of players on this team as the "Core Four"). This is a TEAM and without the Starting Five (Kia, KLS, Saniya, Collier and Willams) ALONG with Crystal Dangerfield, Natalie, Molly, Kyra and Tierney, there wouldn't be the streak of 90 (and going). This year Saniya Chong has learned to play within herself and has been super on both the defensive side (where she has worked very hard at) as well as on the Offensive Side, which she has been has contributed mightily, just look at her assists this year.

It will be the collective efforts of all 10 of these fine Scholar-Athletes that will bring success to this team this season. So, if you want to call the team something how about "THE TERRIFIC TEN" !!!

Reaction Score
If Saniya can consistently plays like she did last night, then this team will go a long way, a very long way in March!!!! Hoping Crystal Dangerfield is getting well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom