Boldest Take for the 24-25 season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boldest Take for the 24-25 season?

Reaction Score
The media will probably be pushing a Bueckers vs. Watkins narrative for the awards.
Yes, if you mean Juju. This is not Ashlynn’s moment for an NPOY. Not yet. I think 25-26 is her best shot, though Juju and Hannah may be formidable contenders then too.

Reaction Score
I think it’ll be Watkins. She won the positional shooting guard award over Paige this year even though I think Paige is a markedly better player at this point. UConn also figures to be more balanced at guard this year than USC so Watkins may play a more predominant role.
Paige was named for the #2 but she played the #4

Reaction Score
Yes, if you mean Juju. This is not Ashlynn’s moment for an NPOY. Not yet. I think 25-26 is her best shot, though Juju and Hannah may be formidable contenders then too.
Yeah, I meant Juju. Ashlynn needs some polishing on the offensive end before she gets to that next level. If she takes the next step this season (develops a 3 point shot, etc.), then she may be in the mix for her senior year. With that said, I could see Ashlynn winning national DPOY.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I meant Juju. Ashlynn needs some polishing on the offensive end before she gets to that next level. If she takes the next step this season (develops a 3 point shot, etc.), then she may be in the mix for her senior year. With that said, I could see Ashlynn winning national DPOY.

Dark horse, maybe? But that's a heck of a leap from where she was at end of last season. Also the minutes aren't likely to be there for huge numbers.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
1. Milaysia Fulwiley blossoms into South Carolina's next All-American and go to player
2. Gamecocks pull off back to back titles and establishes itself as a dynasty
3. Paige wins NPOY
4. Iowa stays relevant in the Big 10 and makes the Sweet 16.
5. Juju Watkins has a tougher sophomore campaign with more defensive attention. USC doesn't make the Final Four either.
6. Notre Dame struggles for a bit with incorporating Hidalgo/Miles in the back court. No Final Four.
7. Texas makes the Final Four
8. Cotie McMahon breaks through as a legitimate All American at Ohio State, same with Flaujae at LSU.
9. LSU is a lot better than people predict, they make the Elite 8 or Final Four.
10. UCLA makes the Final Four this year and has better balance with Rice running the show

Reaction Score
1. Milaysia Fulwiley blossoms into South Carolina's next All-American and go to player
3. Paige wins NPOY
5. Juju Watkins has a tougher sophomore campaign with more defensive attention. USC doesn't make the Final Four either.
6. Notre Dame struggles for a bit with incorporating Hidalgo/Miles in the back court. No Final Four.
8. Cotie McMahon breaks through as a legitimate All American at Ohio State, same with Flaujae at LSU.
9. LSU is a lot better than people predict, they make the Elite 8 or Final Four.
10. UCLA makes the Final Four this year and has better balance with Rice running the show
LSU take is definitely bold. I personally don’t think Mulkey reloaded well enough. Lost her best forward/rebounder, and she brings in undersized guards + one 6’5 who is apparently a guard, and none of them are all that great at rebounding. Del Rosario will have to make a huge leap for LSU’s post play to even try to be what it was last year.

Reaction Score
3. Paige wins NPOY
Where is our friend Tennessee?

Reaction Score
I like this bold prediction. Kim is a great coach, whatever faults people find in her, and she may be able to do what Geno did last season: take a depleted team further than anyone expected. It all depends on Flaujae, I think. She’s coming into her own. Can she do what Paige did last season, put a team on her back and carry them through the tournament? If she can, it will be wonderful to see.

Reaction Score
I like this bold prediction. Kim is a great coach, whatever faults people find in her, and she may be able to do what Geno did last season: take a depleted team further than anyone expected. It all depends on Flaujae, I think. She’s coming into her own. Can she do what Paige did last season, put a team on her back and carry them through the tournament? If she can, it will be wonderful to see.
The combination of her along with Day-Wilson is going to be interesting. Day-Wilson may finally have a guard she can play with that suits her style. How Mulkey leverages her will be something I will be watching this season.

Reaction Score
The combination of her along with Day-Wilson is going to be interesting. Day-Wilson may finally have a guard she can play with that suits her style. How Mulkey leverages her will be something I will be watching this season.
Flaujae needs to play off the ball, which means Day-Wilson has to improve her PG decision making and her defense. Otherwise, Kim will go to plan B. This is effectively where they were last season with Van Lith.

Reaction Score
Flaujae needs to play off the ball, which means Day-Wilson has to improve her PG decision making and her defense. Otherwise, Kim will go to plan B. This is effectively where they were last season with Van Lith.
Agreed. Day-Wilson and her team have been hyping her as the next big WNBA prospect since highschool. This is her last season to prove it.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, success is more based on how the post turns out. Reese was undoubtedly the best defender, rebounded, and offensive presence down low. Morrow and Del Rosario need to really step it up; they're the X factors for LSU this year. Especially because the SEC is riddled with good post players, defense is absolutely necessary down there. Del Rosario was a bit of a serial fouler every time she got in there from what I remember.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, success is more based on how the post turns out. Reese was undoubtedly the best defender, rebounded, and offensive presence down low. Morrow and Del Rosario need to really step it up; they're the X factors for LSU this year. Especially because the SEC is riddled with good post players, defense is absolutely necessary down there. Del Rosario was a bit of a serial fouler every time she got in there from what I remember.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I don't think the usual "post's win NCs" formula applies here. It's true that they won the NC largely based on Angel's will to win, but Alexis Morris was even more key in the tournament, and especially in the NC game. Without her, they would not have won anything. This year my prediction is that Morrow will revert to form -- she has a formidable will to score, but it is not at all clear that she has a will to win comparable to Angel's. I just don't see her carrying the team.

Reaction Score
Very possible that losing Reese will improve LSU's chemistry.

LSU has that other forward returning from injury that is pretty good also.

You'd have to say their goal is Final Four.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
LSU take is definitely bold. I personally don’t think Mulkey reloaded well enough. Lost her best forward/rebounder, and she brings in undersized guards + one 6’5 who is apparently a guard, and none of them are all that great at rebounding. Del Rosario will have to make a huge leap for LSU’s post play to even try to be what it was last year.

The biggest difference for LSU this year will be chemistry and not having to deal with pressure like they did a year ago. Last year they were all over the place at times between Reese missing several games due to undisclosed reasons, all the Washington Post drama, parents beefing online, etc.

Enter S'Myah Smith who will be an excellent glue player in the post. 6-3, extremely athletic (assuming she fully recovers from her ACL) and is a shot blocking presence inside. She's not Angle Reese but she's a really good PF and was playing phenomenally prior to injury. I see Del Rosario as a backup post player this year.

PG play isn't elite but I'd expect a combination of their guards to be an upgrade over Van Lith who struggled big time on both ends last year. Even if they aren't scoring a ton, as long as they're consistently getting the ball to Flaujae/Morrow/Williams and not turning it over, it will be an upgrade over Van Lith based on how she played last year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mikaylah Williams blossom this year similar to how we saw Flaujae improve from freshman to sophomore year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A lot of my prediction is banking on S'Myah Smith coming back healthy. She's a really solid player and could be a difference maker inside going up against bigs like Watkins and Beers. Morrow was quite good this year but will need to emerge as a go to player with Reese out (something I think she's capable of doing).

In terms of rebounding, LSU will still be excellent there. Morrow is an elite rebounder (she averaged a double double starting alongside Reese), and Williams/Flau'jae are outstanding rebounders as guards. Smith too has shown to be a good rebounder.

Reese is a great player who will be missed, but she wasn't very good offensively for LSU this year. If you take out her production against the slew of awful midmajors in the preseason, Angel only shot 44% from the field vs. SEC/ranked/NCAA games which is quite mediocre for a post player who takes 90% of her shots within 8 feet. In the NCAA tournament she only shot 33% overall.

To me, LSU has potential to be better than they were last year due to fixing shortcomings at certain positions even if they don't appear to be as strong on paper. If the offense restructures to have the PG/Smith be glue players who focus on getting the ball to Morrow/Williams/Flau'jae in spots where they can be effective, I think the upside is tremendous for LSU.

Reaction Score
A lot of my prediction is banking on S'Myah Smith coming back healthy. She's a really solid player and could be a difference maker inside going up against bigs like Watkins and Beers. Morrow was quite good this year but will need to emerge as a go to player with Reese out (something I think she's capable of doing).

In terms of rebounding, LSU will still be excellent there. Morrow is an elite rebounder (she averaged a double double starting alongside Reese), and Williams/Flau'jae are outstanding rebounders as guards. Smith too has shown to be a good rebounder.

Reese is a great player who will be missed, but she wasn't very good offensively for LSU this year. If you take out her production against the slew of awful midmajors in the preseason, Angel only shot 44% from the field vs. SEC/ranked/NCAA games which is quite mediocre for a post player who takes 90% of her shots within 8 feet. In the NCAA tournament she only shot 33% overall.

To me, LSU has potential to be better than they were last year due to fixing shortcomings at certain positions even if they don't appear to be as strong on paper. If the offense restructures to have the PG/Smith be glue players who focus on getting the ball to Morrow/Williams/Flau'jae in spots where they can be effective, I think the upside is tremendous for LSU.
Forgot about Smith. Good point, she was a great post before she was hurt.

Reaction Score
Mulkey seems to do more with less at times than doing more than more at times. I think they end up better than people expect, she is a great coach, sure she has flaws but they will adjust to what they have. I think last year it was evident how poor the chemistry was. There were way too many distractions going on between internal discipling and obviously Reese brought a lot of attention for better or worse. Hailey pretty much self imploded the team because she was lost in that system on both ends of the floor. That to me killed LSUs chances to get back to a final four. Thats where Kim failed in roster construction last year.

Day-Wilson has things she has to fix but to me she is a much better fit in terms of how LSU likes to play, she is athletic, quick, versatile with the talent. Now its time to put it together. She will have a lot more talent around her now.

I personally think LSU ends up being a more cohesive team this year (chemistry) for a few reasons but no doubt they will miss what Reese brought. If Kim could make chicken noodle soup with that first roster she inherited, this team will be MORE than fine. Now Im not saying they win a national title or win the SEC, but it will be a dangerous team come March. They will probably run the offense through the guards more this year based on what they have.

Samyah Smith staying healthy will be key for them this year. Much like Flaujae, Sa'Myah was poised for giant breakout year. She is a great rim protector, she has a face up game. The core of Morrow, Flaujae, Mikaylah, and Smith is a excellent group, and the addition of Gilbert gives LSU a legit scoring weapon off the bench, something LSU didn't have Kim's first 3 years.

The X factor on the true ceiling of LSU's team will be the development of Rosario and Jersey. I was reading Rosario missed all of last summer to work on her individual development because of a surgery. She trimmed down quite a bit year 1 and gave some good minutes at times, now its time to piece it together skills wise on the court. Jersey is such an intriguing prospect but I never felt Neighbors system fit her. I see LSU making her a stretch forward, she is 6'5, is time to use her physical tools. But she is definitely very talented and capable. We see a lot of highly touted HS prospects transfer only to go on to find success, I hope it works out for Jersey

Reaction Score
Forgot about Smith. Good point, she was a great post before she was hurt.
She was a decent post before the injury. Strong, athletic, a rebounder and shot blocker. Not much of a scorer. But maybe she doesn't need to be next to Morrow and Flaujae.

Reaction Score
3. Paige wins NPOY
Love this. I agree with the LSU pick. Flaujae looked like the best player on the team at times. It would be great if her role expanded.
I just think ND is too talented. I mean we'll see what their out of conference schedule is like. But Liatu King, Koval, and Karlen would make me think they would be much improved. Then add Olivia Miles. But only 4 teams make the final 4 so I can see it. I also think Hidalgo is so dynamic she can play off the ball.
The thing about the Fulwiley prediction. let's say there are 120 minutes total to divide between the 1-3. You have Paopao, Raven, Fulwiley, T Johnson, Bre Hall. I'm even tempted to throw Chloe at the 3, to put Edwards at the 4 and Watkins at the 5. Long story short will their depth and seniors (basically 3) may prevent Fulwiley from making a jump. This could all be rubbish though cuz LSU added pieces last year and FJ made a jump. So just something im interested in seeing.
Id love for UCLA to make the final 4. They got the talent.
I was hoping Iowa would add one more piece tho I know their roster is pretty full. Its just a tough conference, especially with the additions. But it's an interesting pick!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom