Boldest Take for the 24-25 season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boldest Take for the 24-25 season?

Reaction Score
Id love for UCLA to make the final 4. They got the talent.
UCLA's got the talent for sure, but not the coach. Cori choked in big games (PAC-12 Tournament, S16 vs LSU). She flat out looked clueless in the S16 at times, and blew up a a gameplan that was working well in the first half. Supposedly her own players go against her strategy at times. I don't expect them to make the FF unless they end up in a cakewalk bracket.
I just think ND is too talented. I mean we'll see what their out of conference schedule is like. But Liatu King, Koval, and Karlen would make me think they would be much improved. Then add Olivia Miles. But only 4 teams make the final 4 so I can see it. I also think Hidalgo is so dynamic she can play off the ball.
I'm not all in on ND yet.

They're going to be a deeper team for sure, Liatu and Liza are great substitutes for Westbeld or Koval. I only question the backcourt, because with Miles returning, does that push Hannah out of the PG role and into the off ball 2 guard role? Or is it Miles who's off ball? We've seen team chemistry take weeks to form when players return/players need to switch roles with another. It could be the same case here.

I'm not a huge fan of ND so if someone else has a better perspective, share it with me. I'm just going off of stats and what I saw in the few games I watched of them.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
For my "Bold Predicition," I think we'll see the two Michigan representatives in the B1G going in opposite directions. Coach Robin Fralick and her Michigan State Spartans, in year two, will continue to get used to her style of play and steadily get better, with Julia Ayrault and Theryn Hallock returning to score, Isaline Alexander back to beef up the front line and transfers Grace Van Slooten, Emma Shumate and Jada Simmons coming aboard.

By contrast, Michigan had a lot of transfers out, including their best player, Laila Phelia. Yes, they have Olivia Olsen and Syla Swords coming in -- two stellar players -- but zounds of depth are now doing that elsewhere.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UCLA's got the talent for sure, but not the coach. Cori choked in big games (PAC-12 Tournament, S16 vs LSU). She flat out looked clueless in the S16 at times, and blew up a a gameplan that was working well in the first half. Supposedly her own players go against her strategy at times. I don't expect them to make the FF unless they end up in a cakewalk bracket.

I'm not all in on ND yet.

They're going to be a deeper team for sure, Liatu and Liza are great substitutes for Westbeld or Koval. I only question the backcourt, because with Miles returning, does that push Hannah out of the PG role and into the off ball 2 guard role? Or is it Miles who's off ball? We've seen team chemistry take weeks to form when players return/players need to switch roles with another. It could be the same case here.

I'm not a huge fan of ND so if someone else has a better perspective, share it with me. I'm just going off of stats and what I saw in the few games I watched of them.
Hopefully, I can fill that perspective.

You correctly state that it sometimes takes time to get chemistry with new players or ones in different perspective. I think one can safely say the same for a lot of the leading teams.

However, the teams have time to work this out since they're all back on campus at summer practices. And, in the case of Olivia Miles, she's been practicing on the scout team against the ND 2023 starters since late winter.

I have no concerns whatsoever that Olivia Miles, Hannah Hidalgo and Sonia Citron -- all All-Americans on some team -- will mesh well together. I suspect that Miles will take lead in half-court situations, but Hidalgo will have the ball a lot, too, in pick and roll situations.
Why do I think this will be seamless? First, they're all coached by Niele Ivey, who is one of the better guard coaches in Division 1. She's a former point guard who has worked with pass-first and score-first point guards, so she'll help them mesh. Secondly, both Miles and Hidlago work well with Soni Citron, who may be the best wing-person in the sport. Cerebral and athletic, unselfish yet able to score, she'll help these two mesh.

if there's a place that will take time, it's the front court, bringing in a first-year player in Kate Koval, two transfers in Liatu King and Liza Karlen and the return of Maddy Westbeld. That could take some time, but givesn ND options to go big or smaller and faster.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
State will not finish the regular season as the highest ranked Triangle Team (it won't be Chapel Hill for any of you wise guys)

Despite mass graduations... High Point will continue to reign as the dominant force in the Big South.

UNCG will return to its rightful place at the top of the Southern Conference

NC A&T will challenge for the top of the CAA

Reaction Score
You want bold?

The National Champion will have not won it before.

Player of the Year is a freshman.

Two Big East Teams reach the Elite 8.
Big East is wild considering most teams not named UCONN lost their star players (Olsen, Ronsiek, I think someone from Seton Hall left). But I like it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hmmm...

A university new to the SEC (Texas or Oklahoma), Big 10 (Southern Cal. or UCLA), ACC (Stanford) and Big 12 (Arizona, Colorado, or Utah) will win the regular season conference championship?

I doubt all 4 happen, but I bet at least one of them does.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A single prediction: SC's winning streak ends before New Years. Streaks are difficult and burdensome. I think a hiccup is likely. KJH's inept coaching kept the streak alive last year.

Reaction Score
For my "Bold Predicition," I think we'll see the two Michigan representatives in the B1G going in opposite directions. Coach Robin Fralick and her Michigan State Spartans, in year two, will continue to get used to her style of play and steadily get better, with Julia Ayrault and Theryn Hallock returning to score, Isaline Alexander back to beef up the front line and transfers Grace Van Slooten, Emma Shumate and Jada Simmons coming aboard.

By contrast, Michigan had a lot of transfers out, including their best player, Laila Phelia. Yes, they have Olivia Olsen and Syla Swords coming in -- two stellar players -- but zounds of depth are now doing that elsewhere.
Gotta give my guy @Dillon77 a tip of the cap for noting 2 Canadians in this prediction. :D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The NCAA will announce in August that Warner Bros. characters born in 1938 will receive another year of eligibility. Bugs Bunny will enroll at USC after the ghost of Chuck Jones "pulls some strings". The Trojans enter the final four undefeated, but UConn's Acme defense and infighting between Bugs and Juju lead to the Trojans' demise.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will announce in August that Warner Bros. characters born in 1938 will receive another year of eligibility. Bugs Bunny will enroll at USC after the ghost of Chuck Jones "pulls some strings". The Trojans enter the final four undefeated, but UConn's Acme defense and infighting between Bugs and Juju lead to the Trojans' demise.
What, nothing about a Monstars super team joining a conference? ;)

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
She was a decent post before the injury. Strong, athletic, a rebounder and shot blocker. Not much of a scorer. But maybe she doesn't need to be next to Morrow and Flaujae.
Reese and Morrow were largely overlapping players. Morrow will have a huge season next year.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...

A university new to the SEC (Texas or Oklahoma), Big 10 (Southern Cal. or UCLA), ACC (Stanford) and Big 12 (Arizona, Colorado, or Utah) will win the regular season conference championship?
From most to least likely to win their conference in Year 1 (and with very little research, so forgive me if I make an egregious mistake):

1. UCLA
2. Southern Cal
3. Colorado
4. Texas (think they are better than the other three, but don't see them getting past Carolina)
5. Arizona
6. Utah
7. Oklahoma
8. Stanford

Reaction Score
Hmmm...

I like your thinking here. Boldest take: Texas wins the SEC. A lot would have to fall into place for them, but that's what boldness is all about.

USCw or UCLA winning the Big10 isn't bold at all. It's practically inevitable, unless they get worn out from all the travel.

Reaction Score
2025 has the potential to be one of the wildest tournaments of all time with the number of teams that are just absolutely loaded. South Carolina, UConn, ND, Texas, UCLA, and USC all look championship-caliber and then there’s a ton of other elite rosters in Ohio State, LSU, Iowa State, etc.

My hot take is that Notre Dame is the #1 overall seed and Miles or Hidalgo wins NPOY. Wouldn’t bet on it but absolutely could happen.
Quite possible about that #1 seed, GoChips... I kinda doubt the latter, because they'll be sharing the attention and I suspect there are others besides me who feel Citron is the glue for the team, with or without Miles.

Reaction Score
I totally forgot about Ohio State. I think they’ll be GOOD with Cambridge as the PG, and 1st team AA McMahon (should be anyway…).

This year for WCBB will be the best year yet in my opinion.
Which McMahon, jbc? She's been a Jekyll/Hyde type so far in her career, needs to be there more often.

Reaction Score
I figured that Paige started her campaign for NPOY with the performance she gave in the NCAA tournament, so I feel like it is far from a bold take to suggest that she will win the NPOY awards. She won them her freshman year and the media likes to push a feel-good story, so I think everything is coming to a head in a very destiny-like way for her during her final season. The media will probably be pushing a Bueckers vs. Watkins narrative for the awards.
Agreed, GamecockFarm, although Paige just needs to hope those who'll make the call don't remember her lesser performance vs. Iowa.

Reaction Score
It's true that they won the NC largely based on Angel's will to win, but Alexis Morris was even more key in the tournament, and especially in the NC game. Without her, they would not have won anything.
Jasmine Carson... without her crazy first half, Angel very possibly wouldn't have that ring, and yet Jasmine is now unfortunately just the answer to a trivia question.

Reaction Score
Very possible that losing Reese will improve LSU's chemistry.

LSU has that other forward returning from injury that is pretty good also.

You'd have to say their goal is Final Four.
Perhaps even more so, Van Lith's exit probably will help.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1. Duke will win the ACC tournament championship :)
2. I will get detained (briefly) by Greensboro Coliseum Staff and the Greensboro PD during the net cutting ceremony. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom