Boheim and Coach K didnt want Uconn in? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boheim and Coach K didnt want Uconn in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't believe either Duke or Syracuse would oppose UConn. But in the end, neither probably mattered. DiMauro had an interesting article in the NL Day about perceptions of UConn outside the Northeast, and it's pretty depressing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I just don't believe either Duke or Syracuse would oppose UConn. But in the end, neither probably mattered. DiMauro had an interesting article in the NL Day about perceptions of UConn outside the Northeast, and it's pretty depressing.
Not really depressing if you think about it. The impressions of people in the northeast regarding the red necks of the south and the hayseeds of the midwest and the...........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't believe it had anything to do with geography nor CT Yankee. The choice was a defensive move to placate FSU and to keep Louisville out of the B12. The choice was made easier by Louisville selling their programs and improving academics while our Admin low keyed it.
Yep.

Reaction Score
This makes a lot of sense. The same sentiment still surprisingly exists in SC.

The loss of MD was as shocking to the ACC as the first raid was to the BE. They never thought it could happen!!! Like it or not people don't always think logically. So the loss of Md hit a lot of the ACC universities leaders hard and all of a sudden they aren't feeling superior anymore. They now choose between an academic fit or an athletic fit when just six months ago this choice isn't even in the back of their minds. They now look at the geography and choose between a Mason Dixon state or another northern state, one who people in the south identify as a Connecticut Yankee!! Again this isn't even thought of six months ago, but these universities are reeling.

So they make a knee jerk athletic choice. It's based on the landscape of today as opposed to a deep and thorough examination of what actually happened over the last ten or twenty years and what is possible in the future. And today's landscape says Ville has Pitino and UConn has Ollie and Ville in football is fighting for a bogus BCS spot and UConn is fighting to score in the second half.

I can't speak to the North vs South sentiment but your last sentence is spot on.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I can't speak to the North vs South sentiment but your last sentence is spot on.
And today's landscape says Ville has Pitino and UConn has Ollie and Ville in football is fighting for a bogus BCS spot and UConn is fighting to score in the second half.

I just can't imagine WM or President Herbst being able to counter Jurich by talking past accomplishments versus this year's situation. In a different environment perhaps. But the ACC got gut punched with the MD announcement and so they were looking for the quick fix, todays hot ticket. This is no different than those posters who touted Smart and Stevens when they discussed JC's retirement last year.

MD's leaving has brought the ACC's greatest fears to reality. So they decided on taking the hot ticket that was available. Furthermore it is a no brainer because UConn is not likely to go anywhere other than the ACC whereas Louisville had been in consideration with the B12. So for all these reason and others the presidents of the ACC schools evaluated Ville over UConn. They didn't reject UConn. They opted to act on the property more people were checking out. UConn is still on the market and the ACC is still interested.

My hope is the B!G examines other properties, finds out they are not for sale and offers UConn. Pipe dream but possible.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to Syracuse @ Arkansas tonight. 18k expected in Hog Town. Syracuse - 7 1/2. Take the 7 1/2 points straight up w/Arkansas to assure a win & then put a little coin on the Money Line for fun w/Arkansas. + 7 1/2 on Arky should be very safe. Last year lost on SU v. UConn. Love love the Hogs in this 1. Hoping for a beat down but...

Reaction Score
anyone catch this from Borges blog?

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/

guess they didnt want the extra loses.
Guys: If what JB wanted with conf. realignment didn't matter within his own university ( he was against the move) why in the heck would it matter to SU (which did not have a vote btw) when considering other schools. Truth be told SU has been better against UCONN recently than U of L and JB and RP have been trading barbs over the last year. Think about it: who would anyone want to coach against least at this time,RP or KO.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This makes a lot of sense. The same sentiment still surprisingly exists in SC.

The loss of MD was as shocking to the ACC as the first raid was to the BE. They never thought it could happen!!! Like it or not people don't always think logically. So the loss of Md hit a lot of the ACC universities leaders hard and all of a sudden they aren't feeling superior anymore. They now choose between an academic fit or an athletic fit when just six months ago this choice isn't even in the back of their minds. They now look at the geography and choose between a Mason Dixon state or another northern state, one who people in the south identify as a Connecticut Yankee!! Again this isn't even thought of six months ago, but these universities are reeling.

So they make a knee jerk athletic choice. It's based on the landscape of today as opposed to a deep and thorough examination of what actually happened over the last ten or twenty years and what is possible in the future. And today's landscape says Ville has Pitino and UConn has Ollie and Ville in football is fighting for a bogus BCS spot and UConn is fighting to score in the second half.

We're actually fighting in our attempts to score in the 2d half? Who knew.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to Syracuse @ Arkansas tonight. 18k expected in Hog Town. Syracuse - 7 1/2. Take the 7 1/2 points straight up w/Arkansas to assure a win & then put a little coin on the Money Line for fun w/Arkansas. + 7 1/2 on Arky should be very safe. Last year lost on SU v. UConn. Love love the Hogs in this 1. Hoping for a beat down but...

Good call.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You're the man! Great call! Don't gamble but my hat's off to you!

Reaction Score
Forget all that - Calhoun needs to be asked if Boeheim did indeed oppose Uconn to the ACC. They are like best friends? This eats at me
Anyone who's been paying attention knows that JB is keeping a healthy distance from this whole expansion circus, lest he open his mouth and get himself into more trouble.
If our AD expressed an opinion on UConn, then it had NOTHING to do with Boeheim's POV. It's not like he's been consulted about expansion moves in the past, and his lack of enthusiasm about the ACC move is well-documented.
Its astonishing how simple-minded some fans can be about complex issues like this.

Reaction Score
Anyone who's been paying attention knows that JB is keeping a healthy distance from this whole expansion circus, lest he open his mouth and get himself into more trouble.
If our AD expressed an opinion on UConn, then it had NOTHING to do with Boeheim's POV. It's not like he's been consulted about expansion moves in the past, and his lack of enthusiasm about the ACC move is well-documented.
Its astonishing how simple-minded some fans can be about complex issues like this.

I liked this post until the last sentence. On message boards some people are well intended, just misinformed. But, as an SU fan, I understand where you are coming from, and I would never expect Coach K and Jimmy B to reject us.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure this is exactly what happened. They needed to keep FSU happy. We made no effort to win FSU over. I would have been in Tallahassee playing golf with these people 6 months ago. I spend time in Tallashassee, it is pure southern. Many young people there call the Civil War the "War of Northern Aggression" and they call us Yankees. This isn't hard to understand. We aren't dealing with people from Ohio here, this is a whole different ball of wax.
Here's hoping NIU cleans their clocks in the Orange Bowl. Karma.

Reaction Score
I liked this post until the last sentence. On message boards some people are well intended, just misinformed. But, as an SU fan, I understand where you are coming from, and I would never expect Coach K and Jimmy B to reject us.
No offense intended- it just seems simplistic to postulate that because JB doesn't "like" JC, he therefore wasn't lobbying for UConn....as though that's all that was needed for you guys to get in.
Every mention of I've seen from JB regarding JC, is accompanied by nothing but praise and admiration.
Just a little peeved at the HS-gossip level BS being tossed around by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom