Boeheim Calls APR Ban Ridiculous | The Boneyard

Boeheim Calls APR Ban Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Now he speaks out. They must be getting close to being banned. Thanks for nothing Jimmy B.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Some sensible Boeheim comments......"It's unfortunate, because I think the whole (APR) thing is ridiculous,' he said. "The whole thing - guys leaving, they just leave, the coach can't control it, all of a sudden the school gets punished....."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22788889/syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim-calls-uconns-postseason-ban
TOO LATE TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE and he knows it. Just trying to save some face with JC and perhaps an earky alibi for what may be down the road for him

Reaction Score
The thing of it is, the APR is probably a reasonable measure for every sport except (high major) men's college basketball. If you have a roster of 13 guys, your best 2-3 players are almost always a threat to leave for the pros and your worst 2-3 players are always a threat to leave for greener pastures.

Obviously we should have done a better job making sure the kids who left did so in good standing. But that doesn't mean the measure makes sense. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel is a perfect example - the kid made sure he completed all of his course work before transfering, and yet he still cost us an APR point.

Reaction Score
wow! The guy isnt as stupid as he looks after all

Reaction Score
Wow thanks Jimmy B, bringing it up once the Big East tournament starts is a huge help.

Reaction Score
The thing of it is, the APR is probably a reasonable measure for every sport except (high major) men's college basketball. If you have a roster of 13 guys, your best 2-3 players are almost always a threat to leave for the pros and your worst 2-3 players are always a threat to leave for greener pastures.

Obviously we should have done a better job making sure the kids who left did so in good standing. But that doesn't mean the measure makes sense. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel is a perfect example - the kid made sure he completed all of his course work before transfering, and yet he still cost us an APR point.

It's not a reasonable measure for any sport because it encourages schools to make a farce of academics.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Too little, too late from Mr Pick It & Stick It.
Hope they get banned from all tourneys for 3 years!

Reaction Score

Are you sure Jamal Coombs-McDaniel cost us a point? He left in good academic standing and still it hit us???

Reaction Score
Are you sure Jamal Coombs-McDaniel cost us a point? He left in good academic standing and still it hit us???

Even if you're in good standing, you must have a GPA above (I think) 2.6 to not cost your team an APR point when you transfer. This is higher than the usual requirement of (again, not certain on this) 2.0.

That's why all of the transfers of guys who didn't belong here basketball-wise (Garrison, Haralson, most of the 2009 class) absolutely mutilated our APR. Some of them weren't even in good standing, and those cost us 2 points. JC's completely disregard for the issue -- bogus as it was -- neutered this program.

Reaction Score

I don't understand how Kentucky's APR has not hit rock bottom if they keep losing 1 point from one-and-done players. Can someone explain this?

Reaction Score
Why is it Boeheim's responsibility to go to bat for UConn? I'm still dumbfounded that the school basically bent over and took this. When the NCAA ***** with other high profile schools what do they do? Make noise, stomp their feet, and throw their weight around, if only in the court of public opinion. And the NCAA backs down like the unprincipled they are. UCLA whined and complained for what, two days, and the NCAA said "Sorry about that Shabazz thing, you're all good" now they're going to the tournament with a kid that makes more than Ollie.

UConn bends over and takes it in the can like South Tampa Bill after someone buys him Red Lobster.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Some sensible Boeheim comments......"It's unfortunate, because I think the whole (APR) thing is ridiculous,' he said. "The whole thing - guys leaving, they just leave, the coach can't control it, all of a sudden the school gets punished....."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22788889/syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim-calls-uconns-postseason-ban

If this is the first time he's made such a statement, it's too little, too late. I like Boeheim, and I respect what he's accomplished and done for Syracuse. But with his recent comments, I am reminder of the timeless poem by Martin Niemöller ... (Google it).

With that said ... I strongly disagree with the way it was done, but I have less of a problem with UConn's post season penalty than most here.

It looks like Syracuse is in for their own kick in the balls. Expect a $hitstorm once the tournament is over.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how Kentucky's APR has not hit rock bottom if they keep losing 1 point from one-and-done players. Can someone explain this?

They load up on course credits early (six in summer 2 session, 12 in fall semester, and maybe six cushy ones in winter intersession), so they just barely have enough to be in good academic standing when they bail in the spring. You need 24 credits in one academic year to still be eligible and not cost a point.

The problem comes when players don't have the grand plan in mind from the beginning. Turning pro early most of the time means withdrawing from class and doing the workout/agent circuit. If you've known you were going to only play a year, you take the easiest credits you can get and don't cost your school a point as part of the deal. If you blow up as a soph or junior, and don't finish that spring semester, you may be short (or seniors do it too).

One advantage football has at I-A - practically everyone redshirts their first year, so they get nine semesters in before combine time, instead of seven.

Reaction Score
Boeheim's team has some academic issues....this may be more self-interest on his part.

Exactly. Best post in this thread. They may find themselves banned from the postseason in the next year or two.

Reaction Score
Boeheim's team has some academic issues....this may be more self-interest on his part.
It's definitely self interest, the Cuse might be bent over soon, they still won't get penalized twice like us, we are the only University deemed special enough for this fate.

Reaction Score
They load up on course credits early (six in summer 2 session, 12 in fall semester, and maybe six cushy ones in winter intersession), so they just barely have enough to be in good academic standing when they bail in the spring. You need 24 credits in one academic year to still be eligible and not cost a point.

The problem comes when players don't have the grand plan in mind from the beginning. Turning pro early most of the time means withdrawing from class and doing the workout/agent circuit. If you've known you were going to only play a year, you take the easiest credits you can get and don't cost your school a point as part of the deal. If you blow up as a soph or junior, and don't finish that spring semester, you may be short (or seniors do it too).

One advantage football has at I-A - practically everyone redshirts their first year, so they get nine semesters in before combine time, instead of seven.
Their walk-ons also tend to be guys with 4.0s that may or may not know how to dribble a basketball.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Best post in this thread. They may find themselves banned from the postseason in the next year or two.
When it comes to Cuse the rule will be overturned and forgotten, like the Nate Miles phone contact rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom