Boeheim: ‘Rivalries don’t matter to anyone anymore’ | The Boneyard

Boeheim: ‘Rivalries don’t matter to anyone anymore’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There's a link on that page about Dakari Johnson who has 6 schools for now, no UConn.

Reaction Score
There's a link on that page about Dakari Johnson who has 6 schools for now, no UConn.

Uconn is late to the D. Johnson race, the staff is the trying to make contact

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see if Johnson goes with Kentucky. Logic points you in that direction based on his Lexington connections and his talent level. Who knows though with this kid. Maybe an Ollie long term deal and we get in on this kid? Like others have said Ollie will be a BIG TIME recruiter. Facey will be an NBA player no doubt and stick. It would not surprise me if Austin left after his Sophomore year at PC and was drafted late second round or not at all (D-Leauge bound). Poor decisions may come back to haunt him in the future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
School whose move set off the destruction of several national rivalries laments destruction of national rivalries, more at 11.

That's basically my reaction.

Expansion's bad? Hey, thanks, Jim. Way to be the voice of reason.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think he's sorta right. Of course there will be the obvious Duke/UNC or UConn/Cuse but in general you don't see rivalry games get headlines unless of course you're Notre Dame football.

Reaction Score

because boeheim is the one pulling strings on conference realignment right?

Reaction Score

Boeheim isn't SU, the university made the decision to leave the Big East not JB. He had zero input on the move and is sorry to go I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Our SU visitors are correct. Anyway, as far as UConn is concerned, it may very well be a moot point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boeheim isn't SU, the university made the decision to leave the Big East not JB. He had zero input on the move and is sorry to go I'm sure.

Thank you - you've unlocked the Obvious Badge here at the Boneyard.

We don't need or care to hear Jim's thoughts on expansion here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Thank you - you've unlocked the Obvious Badge here at the Boneyard.

We don't need or care to hear Jim's thoughts on expansion here.

At this point, even Rick Pitino thinks Jim Boeheim should shut up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
JB is pi$$ed because with Maryland leaving and the Hoya rivalry no longer a guarantee, it stifles SU's recruiting presence in the D.C./Baltimore area going forward...This area has been vital for the cuse. lol.

Reaction Score
JB is pi$$ed because with Maryland leaving and the Hoya rivalry no longer a guarantee, it stifles SU's recruiting presence in the D.C./Baltimore area going forward...This area has been vital for the cuse. lol.
I never got this. Why would UMD leaving the ACC affect a Baltimore recruit's decision to attend SU or not? Say it's a big time recruit and he'll play 2 years of college basketball, would being able to play ONE game at UMD lock him up to go to a school like SU or Duke or VT? If anything it helps SU, as DMV recruits will be less likely to go to UMD.

Isn't Jeremy Lamb from GA? UConn didn't have any problem getting him. He didn't seem too concerned not being able to play GT/UGA in his 2 years.

Reaction Score
I never got this. Why would UMD leaving the ACC affect a Baltimore recruit's decision to attend SU or not? Say it's a big time recruit and he'll play 2 years of college basketball, would being able to play ONE game at UMD lock him up to go to a school like SU or Duke or VT? If anything it helps SU, as DMV recruits will be less likely to go to UMD.

Isn't Jeremy Lamb from GA? UConn didn't have any problem getting him. He didn't seem too concerned not being able to play GT/UGA in his 2 years.

In recruiting coaches always want to play (and win) actual games in fertile recruiting areas. To say that it doesn't matter to SOME recruits if they will play none, some, many, or most of their games in front of the hometown friends & family just isn't accurate.

Also it matters to have a physical presence in great recruiting markets on a regular basis. That's been a huge part if the cuse's recruiting success while being in the BE with the NYC metro right?

Reaction Score
In recruiting coaches always want to play (and win) actual games in fertile recruiting areas. To say that it doesn't matter to SOME recruits if they will play none, some, many, or most of their games in front of the hometown friends & family just isn't accurate.

Also it matters to have a physical presence in great recruiting markets on a regular basis. That's been a huge part if the cuse's recruiting success while being in the BE with the NYC metro right?
I agree on a level with you - it matters to some recruits, but I think this factor is overplayed. Rewind three weeks - the ACC has zero teams in Philly or NJ and SU got commitments from kids from NJ, Indianapolis, and Philly - I don't think these kids are worried about not playing Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Nova.

And if UConn joins the ACC, you'll still get kids from RI who won't miss playing Providence, and the Jeremy Lambs from GA who go to UConn because it's UConn, not because of one roadtrip in their college career.

Reaction Score

I agree during any given season or with any specific recruit the issue I'm referring to could play out either way...help or hurt.

But over the long term your program's recruiting should benefit from playing games in good recruiting areas. There are a handful of programs that year over year can recruit nationally regardless of where they play. I'm guessing you believe SU to be one of those few...maybe they will become one but historically they have depended on a few regions with Balt/DC being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom