Bobby Knight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bobby Knight

Reaction Score
It’s just sad that people feel embolden taking shots at Bobby Knight at this point or for that some disgruntled failed employee at St Joe’s throwing Calhoun under the bus for not picking something up off the floor when he just had half his stomach removed.
Knight and Calhoun are worlds apart, both great coaches, both tough, but JC is not a mean spirited bully, Knight is.

Reaction Score
Chief loves the guys as do his ex players and that tells you all that you need to know.

No, it's not all you need to know. He thought he was helping his players when he assaulted an in uniform Puerto Rican policeman in San Juan during the Pan Am games. But for the fact that powerful white men didn't go to jail for assaulting Puerto Ricans in those days -- even Puerto Rican police officers -- he should have done time. Tell me that John Thompson assaulting a white police officer in Pittsburgh would have gotten off with defying local officials and you'd be a liar.

I wish him nothing but peace in his diminished state, and he was an outstanding basketball coach (I saw him coaching Army with Mike K in the NIT in the 60s) -- not on Calhoun's level by the way -- but don't tell me he was a good person. Good people don't assault police officers because they want more court time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s just sad that people feel embolden taking shots at Bobby Knight at this point or for that some disgruntled failed employee at St Joe’s throwing Calhoun under the bus for not picking something up off the floor when he just had half his stomach removed.

LMAO. You're comparing a coach who thought violence while coaching was acceptable with an incident of not picking up a piece of paper? Do better.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

No, it's not all you need to know. He thought he was helping his players when he assaulted an in uniform Puerto Rican policeman in San Juan during the Pan Am games. But for the fact that powerful white men didn't go to jail for assaulting Puerto Ricans in those days -- even Puerto Rican police officers -- he should have done time. Tell me that John Thompson assaulting a white police officer in Pittsburgh would have gotten off with defying local officials and you'd be a liar.

I wish him nothing but peace in his diminished state, and he was an outstanding basketball coach (I saw him coaching Army with Mike K in the NIT in the 603) -- not on Calhoun's level by the way -- but don't tell me he was a good person. Good people don't assault police officers because they want more court time.
Based on your comments, you don’t get Bobby Knight. Whatever happened in Puerto Rico around a basketball practice availability you make it into a racial incident, and you should know better. Sure sometimes Bobby Knight was a jerk or got too passionate about winning and yes in his quest for winning he lost perspective. Most great coaches by nature don’t have balanced perspective. He grab players of all races - said words he shouldn’t have said to refs of all colors. But, you overreach and make it about White and Black and that’s a cheap shot. Both White and Black players hugged Bobby Knight last game.

As for court practice time craziness, talk to one of Calhoun’s assistants that had to mediate Gampel practice time between Geno and Jim prior to the Werth practice facility. Can I excuse any of these behaviors? - of course not. But, I am not getting all high and mighty about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Based on your comments, you don’t get Bobby Knight. Whatever happened in Puerto Rico around a basketball practice availability you make it into a racial incident, and you should know better. Sure sometimes Bobby Knight was a jerk or got too passionate about winning and yes in his quest for winning he lost perspective. Most great coaches by nature don’t have balanced perspective. He grab players of all races - said words he shouldn’t have said to refs of all colors. But, you overreach and make it about White and Black and that’s a cheap shot. Both White and Black players hugged Bobby Knight last game.

You need to read what people say instead of what you'd like them to be saying. I have no clue whatsoever whether Knight would have swung at a white police officer who was trying to force him off the court in that situation. Frankly, as swinging as a police officer because you don't want to follow his instructions is not acceptable behavior for anyone, much less an employee of a state, I don't particularly care why he thought assault was an acceptable option there or if race had anything to do with it.

The reaction of law enforcement and the State of Indiana to the incident, the ignoring by a state of the judicial branch of another part of the U.S.'s papers to extradite, and the ultimate settlement of the matter all were largely influenced both by Knight's standing as a powerful white man and the fact that it was Puerto Rico that wanted him extradited and not Iowa. That's what my point was and that's the truth. Anyone who thinks that you would get away with assaulting an in uniform police officer in a white state -- that the government of your state would protect you from being tried for hitting a police officer somewhere else in the U.S. -- is lying.

Reaction Score
Bobby Knight and Calhoun are really nothing alike, I always hated this comparison.

pj

Reaction Score
You need to read what people say instead of what you'd like them to be saying. I have no clue whatsoever whether Knight would have swung at a white police officer who was trying to force him off the court in that situation. Frankly, as swinging as a police officer because you don't want to follow his instructions is not acceptable behavior for anyone, much less an employee of a state, I don't particularly care why he thought assault was an acceptable option there or if race had anything to do with it.

The reaction of law enforcement and the State of Indiana to the incident, the ignoring by a state of the judicial branch of another part of the U.S.'s papers to extradite, and the ultimate settlement of the matter all were largely influenced both by Knight's standing as a powerful white man and the fact that it was Puerto Rico that wanted him extradited and not Iowa. That's what my point was and that's the truth. Anyone who thinks that you would get away with assaulting an in uniform police officer in a white state -- that the government of your state would protect you from being tried for hitting a police officer somewhere else in the U.S. -- is lying.

To borrow a legal term, "statement not in evidence." You have no idea whether the state of Indiana protected Knight because he was white, or because he was their basketball coach; and whether the outcome would have been any different if Knight had been black and the police officer white. You're simply speculating here, and accusing others of racial bias without evidence.

Early stages of dementia often make people irritable and angry. Popular and powerful sports figures often get a lot of leeway in their conduct, regardless of their race. I don't think we need to go beyond those two generalizations in explaining everything that happened around Bob Knight.

C

Chief00

Is there a video available to see what actually happened?

C

Chief00

Seems like you gave a very one sided account of what happened. The below from SI vault:
51A0AAC7-FC32-4A5F-9959-62A87063B0AE.png

Reaction Score
I always recognized BK as a great basketball coach. But he was constantly disrespectful, rude, egotistical and condescending in his interactions with his players, the press, etc. He just doesn’t seem like a nice person, and at the end of the day that counts for a lot.

Reaction Score
It's really about keeping control. Some leaders might shout, curse, and intimidate to make a point and get peoples attention, but if they're good, they know exactly what they're doing and they're in total control of their actions. They can change course as the situation dictates.

Getting into physical altercations, choking, grabbing people shows that you have lost control. Cursing and throwing a vase when interacting with a 64 year old secretary shows that you have lost control. People who can not control themselves should never be put in leadership positions.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Umm. The Puerto Rico incident was around 1980, Pretty sure he was not in early stages of dementia 40 years ago

As a matter of fact, it has been shown that midlife and younger systemic infections and systemic inflammation measured by inflammatory markers such as CRP are associated with development of Alzheimer's disease 25-40 years later. These conditions are also known causes of irritability and anger. Here is a review: Review: systemic inflammation and Alzheimer's disease. - PubMed - NCBI.

Reaction Score
He "was sick and f----ing tired of losing to Purdue" said during halftime talk vs Georgetown

This is one of my all time video clips

Best half time speach of all time. LOL

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Chief, I love what you bring to the BY, but you are just wrong on this one. My boss had Bobby Knight come to give an inspirational speech to our workforce... let's just say it didn't end well... FBI investigated complaints that Bobby Knight groped women at Federal agency

Reaction Score
Tough to stick up for Bobby Knight because even before dementia he was a prickly boorish person who often acted out in anger. ESPN had to drop him because he was losing his marbles and couldn't do color for the games. He's famous, and also they probably figured he'd be great at that type of Federal agency function, so what they got was a groper.

Reaction Score
As a matter of fact, it has been shown that midlife and younger systemic infections and systemic inflammation measured by inflammatory markers such as CRP are associated with development of Alzheimer's disease 25-40 years later. These conditions are also known causes of irritability and anger. Here is a review: Review: systemic inflammation and Alzheimer's disease. - PubMed - NCBI.
Listen, I have been the primary caregiver for my wife who was diagnosed 3 years ago with FTD. In that time I have been to seminars, support groups, read hundreds of articles, reports, viewed many many videos on the subject. This is but one of many, many theories. I assure you his behavior 40 years ago was not an early stage of dementia.

Reaction Score
I assure you his behavior 40 years ago was not an early stage of dementia.
I don’t think that that’s what was really implied; that there are signs of the dementia 20+ years before you see the classic signs manifest. FTD is a different syndrome from AD and for all we know there are different neurophysiological markers for different diseases. The precursors are the emergence of the inflammatory processes; not that there is some early manifested behavior that goes along with the initial stages of the process.

Reaction Score
Ironically enough after one of the games in PR several years ago (2014?) there was an incident just outside of the arena and a large PR man was jumping around puffing his chest out screaming at random people that "this is Puerto Rico, this is not the United States" etc. Just as was described in the article about Knight.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Seems like you gave a very one sided account of what happened. The below from SI vault:
View attachment 50809
bobby should've clocked him full on, then turn it over to the lawyers. im bettin' there would be a pantload of Boricua attorneys happy to take the case for Coach 'take no lip.'

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
bobby should've clocked him full on, then turn it over to the lawyers. im bettin' there would be a pantload of Boricua attorneys happy to take the case for Coach 'take no lip.'
Yeah I'm sure the truth lies somewhere with Bob Knight remaining calm in a tense situation and taking the higher road

Reaction Score
Listen, I have been the primary caregiver for my wife who was diagnosed 3 years ago with FTD. In that time I have been to seminars, support groups, read hundreds of articles, reports, viewed many many videos on the subject. This is but one of many, many theories. I assure you his behavior 40 years ago was not an early stage of dementia.
You're right, that was him being a jerk 40 years ago. I don't envy the people who will be his caregivers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom