Bob Dylan sold all his song rights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bob Dylan sold all his song rights

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought this was going to be a "Dylan sold out" thread. I'm glad he was able to monetize his work in a way that worked well for him.

This probably is a as good a place as ever for a favorite Dylan song list.

I'm going with

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

I had my brother read these lyrics as the first reading for our wedding ceremony.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had my brother read these lyrics as the first reading for our wedding ceremony.
Did he drop an octave at "and let others do for you"?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

i sang it at my 25 year old brothers funeral at my parents request. I’ve only played it less than a handful of times in bands since ( going on 23 years now) and only if my parents are in attendance. Memories cut too deep.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i sang it at my 25 year old brothers funeral at my parents request. I’ve only played it less than a handful of times in bands since ( going on 23 years now) and only if my parents are in attendance. Memories cut too deep.
I can imagine. Brutal.

I'm guessing you played the slow version?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I can imagine. Brutal.

I'm guessing you played the slow version?
Yup. In Jerry’s key. ( E as opposed to last waltz/planet waves D)

Reaction Score
That's pretty much my point. Four or five songs which have any sort of cache- Rhiannon, Landslide, Dreams and Gold Dust Woman. Great songs, but none are of historical significance in terms of history of rock. That's a lot of money for them. Not my money and I say good for her to get what she can. Just seems like a big overpay.

Now listening to Dylan all day, so it's a good day.

tops are:
Visions of Johanna
Queen Jane Approximately
Tangled up in Blue

I get where you are coming from (although you might be underselling Fleetwood a bit) - but historical significance doesn't necessarily equate to dollars. Stevie is easier on the ears than Bob, and Fleetwood is much more "popular" than Bob Dylan. A Fleetwood song is a lot more likely to get used in advertising, TV or Cinema than Bob Dylan.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Picking my favorite Dylan song would be like picking my favorite child.

But I do like discussing best covers of Dylan songs, and this is one of my favorites--this version in particular (the choir is awesome, and then the whole thing keeps reaching another level):

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Anyone else notice since Bill Wither's death, "Lovely Day" is featured in about half the commercials on TV these days? Whoever controlled the publishing rights (most likely his family, he was fairly reclusive) couldn't wait for his body to be cold to cash in. Wonder how the language for commercial use of Dylan's songs is worded in that contract

Reaction Score
No basketball so lets talk about the music industry.

Bob Dylan sells rights to all his songs in likely record-breaking deal

I can't find a sales figure but the song rights appear to be valued over $200 million. Its reported they were purchased but the Universal Music Group. UMG is the world's top music company (I never knew).

Its his to do what he wants, but I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of the music industry and curious as to who the winner is in this deal. Since royalties are considered inheritances of the estate, I wonder if the cash is easier to pass down than an income stream. I wonder if Elton John, Stevie Wonder and other legendary songwriters will follow.

Its not like Bob (almost 80 years old) needed the money, so what's the advantage to losing a lifetime of royalties and control? More importantly, will this affect us fans and music listeners?
Ya. I was surprised th read this. Unlike many artist Dylan always held all rights to his catalog. I do know copyright laws get quite complicated as they are different in different countries. Just last week he had to release an album of some outtakes. I think in London. Very limited. The only purpose was to comply with copyright laws. An estimate I read was 300 million. That’s a lot of money. He’s in good shape financially so I’m sure it wasn’t due to financial pressure. Probably to simplify his life and estate.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone else notice since Bill Wither's death, "Lovely Day" is featured in about half the commercials on TV these days? Whoever controlled the publishing rights (most likely his family, he was fairly reclusive) couldn't wait for his body to be cold to cash in. Wonder how the language for commercial use of Dylan's songs is worded in that contract
During one of the 9-11 benefits they showed short films in between some of the performances, and I remember that Ed Burns did a beautiful video to that song. I've never been able to find it since.

Reaction Score
So a while back Peter Frampton posted about 55 million plays of Baby I love your way netted him a 1700 dollar check- Sellin was probably a good move.

Reaction Score
Picking my favorite Dylan song would be like picking my favorite child.

But I do like discussing best covers of Dylan songs, and this is one of my favorites--this version in particular (the choir is awesome, and then the whole thing keeps reaching another level):

Oh. Best covers!https://youtu.be/pY2LAQPstT0

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom