Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
early in the game he was ballstopping, pounding the rock and limiting ball movement. KO took him out for Samuel, Boat came back in after the offense got flowing and he was incredible moving the ball and kicking it out to Giffey for wide open shots. That was honestly the best I've ever seen him getting into the defense and finding guys, hopefully he plays that way from here on out because it really opened up the offense.

Reaction Score
He really got Giffey going. When Boat is dribbling around ballstopping he hurts the offense when he breaks his man down draws and kicks the offense looks like a well oiled machine. He is impossible to keep out of the paint, if he can do what he did tonight we are extremely hard to beat.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
early in the game he was ballstopping, pounding the rock and limiting ball movement. KO took him out for Samuel, Boat came back in after the offense got flowing and he was incredible moving the ball and kicking it out to Giffey for wide open shots. That was honestly the best I've ever seen him getting into the defense and finding guys, hopefully he plays that way from here on out because it really opened up the offense.

agree, and feel he is close to where he will start getting those tough close-in shots to fall. Doris Burke highlighted the importance of Boat's contribution, thought she was very good tonight.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I hated Boat after the first 6 or so minutes of the game. But he was our best player for the rest of the game. Good response after he sat. T-Sam continues to give us something with his minutes.

Reaction Score
I hated Boat after the first 6 or so minutes of the game. But he was our best player for the rest of the game. Good response after he sat. T-Sam continues to give us something with his minutes.

Giffey was our best player…………Boat and Bazz were both solid tonight for sure but Giff was the difference………...

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Giffey was our best player…………Boat and Bazz were both solid tonight for sure but Giff was the difference………...

You are right, Giffey hit his shots. Boat manufactured a lot of them for him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree with Dogbreath. Boat was good, so was Doris.

Didn't see the numbers yet but I think Daniels had a very solid game too.

Reaction Score
Wish boat wouldn't take a single shot and just dished all game like tonight. With Bazz playing off the ball.

Reaction Score
Completely agree, Boatright's play towards the end of the first half in that game was the best I've seen him play at UConn in terms of decision making off the dribble. At some point (and maybe it was tonight), the light bulb will go on for Boatright, and he'll realize that his calling card as a basketball player is going to be doing exactly that - driving and dishing. He's too small to finish at the rim consistently, fine. His mid-range jumper has been off this year, fine. But he does have one elite skill, and that's the ability to beat the initial defender off the dribble. Simply being able to collapse the defense and keep the ball moving impacts this offense enormously. And although you have to credit Giffey for knocking down those shots, I have to give Boatright 75% of the credit for that sequence in the first half. A lot of guys can knock down open shots, not that many guys can attract that much attention and still manage to put the ball on a tee for a shooter. Boat's always been special in that regard, and if he continues to use that skill to its fullest extent, you'll see a lot more 10-20 shooting nights from three.

Reaction Score
I agree with Dogbreath. Boat was good, so was Doris.

Didn't see the numbers yet but I think Daniels had a very solid game too.

I don't care for Doris. She called Susan Herbst Herbststreet....

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Her comments showed that she has a very precise knowledge of our team, both strengths and weaknesses.

And she has knowledge of our program historically as well. She never misses an opportunity to heap praise on our team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A big part of last night's win, was Boat's willingness to distribute the ball. When he plays team ball, we truly have one the premier backcourts in the country. Almost everyone deserves praise from last nights effort, but a big reason in my opinion for how dominant we were starts and ends with Bazz's unselfishness.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Absolutely right! I said the same thing to my cousin!

It's like boat said "oh this kid(tsam) can play I better step it up!"

Reaction Score
I don't care for Doris. She called Susan Herbst Herbststreet....

Oh boo friggin' hoo. We have guys calling games who mispronounce players names, call us "University of UConn," and clearly know NOTHING about the team, and you're complaining about her making an honest mistake (and immediately correcting herself) on the President's last name? She did a good job last night, get over it.

Reaction Score
Doris has become way too talkative for my taste, but she was basically cutting a recruiting promo for KO last night and I love that she included the Kevin Durant stuff, she can talk all game if she's going to heap praise on the program like that. She also corrected herself on Herbst's name, some analysts wouldn't even do that, I remember when Elmore was calling the Maryland opener and he was talking about the steps the athletic dept has taken to improve the APR scores and he mentioned some athletic director's name that certainly wasn't Warde Manuel's, I didn't even know who the hell he was referring to.

Reaction Score
surprised there isn't a thread on Samuel , mainly his explosiveness and court savvy. Remember when he "couldn't hit the side of a barn" or whatever the expression is. Nobody is scouting Samuel he knows it.

Reaction Score

You can just see that the light is really starting to click for him. He's slowed down (in a good way) considerably, doesn't dribble into tight situations as often, and is becoming much more adept at keeping the dribble alive when he's probing. Having him to take the ball out of Shabazz's hands more consistently on offense is going to be huge if this team wants to make a run this year.

caw

Reaction Score
Wish boat wouldn't take a single shot and just dished all game like tonight. With Bazz playing off the ball.

I liked his end of half three.

He apparently has realized that Giffey exists and that has opened up the floor for him.

Reaction Score
I liked his end of half three.

He apparently has realized that Giffey exists and that has opened up the floor for him.

seems like he's hit quite a few of those end of half 3s this year, including one against Memphis earlier in the season on their floor.

Reaction Score
I like him driving to open the second half and immediately getting the third foul on Goodwin. It really took Goodwin's aggressiveness away and he was a never a factor.

caw

Reaction Score
seems like he's hit quite a few of those end of half 3s this year, including one against Memphis earlier in the season on their floor.

He does seem to be the end of half go to guy while Bazz is end of game.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
That one against Quse last season is still fresh in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom