Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shouldn't have taken him the entire regulation and two overtimes to realize that if he drove into the lane and attracted multiple defenders, someone would be open like when he found Omar for that basket cutting to the rim. Hopefully we see more of this and less of what we saw last night, he was kind of looking like soph year Kemba driving into the trees.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Defense wasn't giving it to him early. You could see they were getting gassed and into foul trouble late. Thought Boat played a solid game and was consistently getting to the line. Would like to see him get Bazz and Calhoun more involved too however, as he seems to be our primary PG.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I said this in the chat Friday night, would love to see Ollie spread out the offense more often and let Shabazz and Boatright penetrate. There are very few guards in the country who can guard these guys.

Reaction Score
My other problem with Boatright last night was his tendency to gamble so much defensively. It's all well and good when he picks the ball handler's pocket, but when he whiffs on the steal it usually leads to a basket or a foul. He doesn't have Thabeet or Drummond waiting around to protect the rim, and he plays defense as if he does.

Reaction Score
My other problem with Boatright last night was his tendency to gamble so much defensively. It's all well and good when he picks the ball handler's pocket, but when he whiffs on the steal it usually leads to a basket or a foul. He doesn't have Thabeet or Drummond waiting around to protect the rim, and he plays defense as if he does.

Agree, him and Bazz both, just stay in front of your man, they're doing a great job of applying ball pressure and then they just waste it with those steal attempts. Then they burn needless energy running to get back into the defensive set.

Reaction Score
12 of 13 from line is money.

So much good comes from a guard that likes-and tries to attract- contact.

If his shot improves a bit (which at this point is mostly selection errors by and large) it'll be hard to stop bazz and him.

I'm sure he's working on it, but I'd love to see him own one particular shot that he earned from 10,000 reps from the same 17-18' spot (a la Ray Allen). I know his duties are pg, but that would make the defense have to play much more squirrely. Oddly, I think he has better shooting form than bazz ( legs mostly), but being height challenged has big drawbacks.

Reaction Score
His shot seemed to be that midrange stop and pop but it has abandoned him this year. There was one in particular in the 2nd half where he was wide open and didn't have an easier shot all year and he wasn't even close on it.

12 of 13 from line is money.

So much good comes from a guard that likes-and tries to attract- contact.

If his shot improves a bit (which at this point is mostly selection errors by and large) it'll be hard to stop bazz and him.

I'm sure he's working on it, but I'd love to see him own one particular shot that he earned from 10,000 reps from the same 17-18' spot (a la Ray Allen). I know his duties are pg, but that would make the defense have to play much more squirrely. Oddly, I think he has better shooting form than bazz ( legs mostly), but being height challenged has big drawbacks.

Reaction Score

I wonder to what extent the poor on-ball defense by Boat and Bazz can be attributed to their having to carry the entire load on offense. It is draining, both physically and mentally, to have to create something on every offensive possession. Anyone who's played basketball from rec leagues through the NBA can tell you that.

It doesn't excuse the poor effort, but might be an explanation.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think the announcers had it right: Bazz and Boat wore them down. The paths weren't that open early in the game. But Bazz and Boat are well-conditioned and had energy all the way through. Once they saw the defenders start to sag, they exploited it. I don't think it was a lightbulb going on.

It'd be nice if some guys made some shots other than from the FT line, tonight.

Reaction Score
I wonder to what extent the poor on-ball defense by Boat and Bazz can be attributed to their having to carry the entire load on offense. It is draining, both physically and mentally, to have to create something on every offensive possession. Anyone who's played basketball from rec leagues through the NBA can tell you that.

It doesn't excuse the poor effort, but might be an explanation.

While I agree it has a little to do with it they also missed open people yesterday on rolls and on the wing instead opting to go at it themselves. I think you thse 2 guys can create the standing around at times with people seeing those eyes that are "ready to go" on their guy. But even then people need to be cutting to the hole to either follow in or if they get caught up they have another option like with Omar. I know KO got on TO once on a pick at foul line extended and then he watched Boat or Bazz go to the hole electing to stand where he picked?? Can't do that he doesn't need to be back on D he needs to crash.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It must be part of the game plan for Bazz and Boat to harass the opponents guards starting well back into the backcourt. I can see this as a way to try to speed the game up, force some turnovers, disrupt their offense, and tire their guards. On the other hand, we were getting no fast breaks and the steal attempts were not working. Boat seemed to be having great difficulty staying in front of his man, particularly down the stretch. I don't think that the pressuring full-court defense was a good idea late in the game when we needed our guys to play straight up and get some stops, not steals. They need to learn to switch the priority when the end of the game is coming up and we need stops, not turnovers. It seems to me that there is as much of a danger of wearing our guys out as the opponents when our guys have to carry the entire scoring load in addition to nearly full-court defense.

Reaction Score
It must be part of the game plan for Bazz and Boat to harass the opponents guards starting well back into the backcourt. I can see this as a way to try to speed the game up, force some turnovers, disrupt their offense, and tire their guards. On the other hand, we were getting no fast breaks and the steal attempts were not working. Boat seemed to be having great difficulty staying in front of his man, particularly down the stretch. I don't think that the pressuring full-court defense was a good idea late in the game when we needed our guys to play straight up and get some stops, not steals. They need to learn to switch the priority when the end of the game is coming up and we need stops, not turnovers. It seems to me that there is as much of a danger of wearing our guys out as the opponents when our guys have to carry the entire scoring load in addition to nearly full-court defense.

Agree and Boat's worst defensive stand was on the game tying 3 by Johnson in the first OT.....never should have gone for the fake dribble left which left him WIDE open.....love the way they both harass but they can't continue to leave a weak front court defenseless.....it will hurt against real good teams!!

Reaction Score
I was going to post the same observation. He was playing high risk defense letting his man leave him in the dust far too many times during regulation. He seemed to buckle down in OT, well except when he got schooled on that hard fake and game tying 3 at the end of the first OT.

The perimeter D has been very impressive until last night, though Q had that really quick guard that was hard to keep from blowing right on by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom