boatright update | The Boneyard

boatright update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish he could just plead "guilty" at this point. Why can't everyone agree he received an impermissible plane ticket which is standardly a three game suspension. There, done and done. Suit up for Coppin State.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At least we know he is being discussed by the NCAA. That means the investigating process is active and we should be learning about his status soon. I'm sure other players are still not in the loop and that could have been RB. I'm hoping its a three or four game suspension.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the NCAA gets to these investigations alphabetically. Someone should tell them that UConn is not spelled with a "Y." We always seem to get answers last. I've always thought it was a bootstrapping way of giving us an extra penalty (see Caron Butler sitting out, but the NCAA never followed through on their threat of going after others), but how can we be the only school they seem to dislike?

Reaction Score
To a degree this raises the question, do these guys ever think about what they are doing when they get offered these plane tickets and so forth? I mean here's a kid who now has missed 3 games, may miss a trip to the Carribean, because he didn't use his head. Yes, the NCAA is taking its sweet time to review this, but nobody has come out and claimed he is totally innocent of any "charges." The consensus seems to be that he indeed took an improper benefit. As a UCONN fan, I want him back and able to play, but jeez, if he didn't take a free plane ride, he probably would not only suit up for Coppin State, but would have suited up for every game to date. Isn't it kind of like saying that its the cop's fault for ticketing you for running a stop sign?

Reaction Score
To a degree this raises the question, do these guys ever think about what they are doing when they get offered these plane tickets and so forth? I mean here's a kid who now has missed 3 games, may miss a trip to the Carribean, because he didn't use his head. Yes, the NCAA is taking its sweet time to review this, but nobody has come out and claimed he is totally innocent of any "charges." The consensus seems to be that he indeed took an improper benefit. As a UCONN fan, I want him back and able to play, but jeez, if he didn't take a free plane ride, he probably would not only suit up for Coppin State, but would have suited up for every game to date. Isn't it kind of like saying that its the cop's fault for ticketing you for running a stop sign?

Someone raised this before, but can we add a "cmon, man" button. This qualifies.

When he is 16 he is going to think of the potential consequences of NCAA suspending him for accepting a plane ticket that almost every player gets paid for him for every trip?

Cmon, man...

Reaction Score
The biggest joke is that you know whenever the NCAA drags their feet they will just assign him the number of games he's missed as his punishment. So if he misses 6 games for a 2-game type offense, to cover their they will just suspend him 6 and call it even.

F#%ck the NCAA

Reaction Score

The main way to get exposure in high school basketball is playing AAU and in AAU these kids are flying around the country for tournaments all spring and summer, to Orlando and Las Vegas, Virginia and LA. How do we think a lot of these inner city kids are affording to pay for flights all around the country? Its a ridiculous system.

Reaction Score
The main way to get exposure in high school basketball is playing AAU and in AAU these kids are flying around the country for tournaments all spring and summer, to Orlando and Las Vegas, Virginia and LA. How do we think a lot of these inner city kids are affording to pay for flights all around the country? Its a ridiculous system.

I agree. The whole AAU system is an absolute cesspool. Not sure flying these kids all around the country to play at that level is exactly the best idea in the world either.

Reaction Score
So we might hear from them today I guess? If not then monday since the place is closed for the weekend. Either we hear about whats going before 5 or we have to wait. But yeah as you guys were saying, The system is pretty awful.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Non professional teams and sponsors can supply travel and lodging; an AAU coach cannot

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The rumor I heard regarding this issue is over who paid for the ticket, not the free ticket. Supposedly an AAU team can pay for a ticket. If I understand things correctly in RB's case Rose paid for the ticket. Since Rose is the AAU team organizer there is a blur regarding the appropriateness of Rose giving that ticket. I'm not sure how RB or any kid in the AAU system can be expected to understand the legalities of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Non professional teams and sponsors can supply travel and lodging; an AAU coach cannot

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
That was how I understood it too. If the team has a bake sale and raises money for a trip to florida (I prefer not to think about a bunch of high school kids running around Vegas, but that's just me) that's fine. But bmayuc can't reach into his pocket and buy a ticket for Ryan boatright to go to Orlando unless he's a relative/legal guardian. I know that at the beginning of every high school season in my community, the school has a meeting of all athletes and parents/guardians and reviews not only school and team rules, but NCAA eligibility and recruiting rules and so forth. And probably no more than 1 or 2 kids in the whole school will ever play in college. I would think that an AAU coach who is working with kids he thinks are college prospects would know and advise the kid on how the system needs to work. Of course that would assume they care...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree. The whole AAU system is an absolute cesspool. Not sure flying these kids all around the country to play at that level is exactly the best idea in the world either.
AAU allows coaches a great opportunity to see players and, if done honestly, creates an equal playing field for the amount of time coaches can have with players and vice versa. The problem is that it makes it convenient for people to take advantage of this for their own self serving agendas, agendas which are infractions with NCAA rules.

Eliminating the AAU system won't eliminate the problem. These shady individuals will have to work harder but they will manage to find the recruits with value and exploit the system for their gains. There would be a lot more physical movement by these guys than exists now, because they will have to go to the high schools to corrupt the players but they would do that. Thats what took place before AAU ball and most likely still takes place to some degree.

The only difference is having a stable of players all over the country versus having them in one cluster to exploit.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That was how I understood it too. If the team has a bake sale and raises money for a trip to florida (I prefer not to think about a bunch of high school kids running around Vegas, but that's just me) that's fine. But bmayuc can't reach into his pocket and buy a ticket for Ryan boatright to go to Orlando unless he's a relative/legal guardian. I know that at the beginning of every high school season in my community, the school has a meeting of all athletes and parents/guardians and reviews not only school and team rules, but NCAA eligibility and recruiting rules and so forth. And probably no more than 1 or 2 kids in the whole school will ever play in college. I would think that an AAU coach who is working with kids he thinks are college prospects would know and advise the kid on how the system needs to work. Of course that would assume they care...

That's the key. Many coaches and 'AAU booster' care about themselves first.

And I wonder how a kid knows which is which every time. I doubt they ask, "who paid for this ticket?" every time they get on a plane to play an AAU game. I'm sure they get handed tickets and off they go.

Also, I'm not sure how aware freshman and sophomores in high school are with regards to NCAA rules. Especially poor kids. I assume you live in a more well to do community. I'd be surprised if schools from poor communities give these informational sessions as regularly, if at all (and more importantly make sure kids attend). Heck college coaches struggle to keep track of all the rules.

Not saying let kids off, but I can understand where problems arise.

Reaction Score
Actually I live in what might bew one of the few communities in Connecticut that is pretty ecomonically diverse. We have some pretty high end stuff and we have housing projects and a whole range in between. I get the point that kids might not pay attention to this stuff and that's why it is important that parents, guardians, coaches and boosters do. But of course you're right that many of them care about themselves first. First and foremost that is the parents/guardians' responsibility, I guess. then the coaches and boosters. But when as seems to often be the case, its the boosters who ignore the rules, that's a problem.

Reaction Score
I just want to see him on the court because until we do we have not seen our "real" team. Last year without Bazz there would have been no NC.

Reaction Score
Freescoter blaming the kid for not knowing the rules is assine. Sometimes you make sense,sometimes you don't. I agree with most posters you are an a*s.

Reaction Score

Why is it not the best idea in the world? I mean are you serious? Anything that gets a kid the hell out of their little bubble and exposes them to new people good or bad is a positive.

You guys are a little bit over the top pious/frumpy.

good for these kids getting adults and shoe companies to ferry them around, anyone who thinks otherwise has got to adjust their mentality a little.

Reaction Score
Freescoter blaming the kid for not knowing the rules is assine. Sometimes you make sense,sometimes you don't. I agree with most posters you are an a*s.
Kids, and their parents and guardians and their coaches shouldn't know the rules? Is that what your saying? You think maybe if Boatright or his parents or guardians or caoches knew and followed the rules he might be playing now? Or is it the NCAA's fault that he violated the rules? Is that your argument? I would think if you are hoping to go on to play in college you'd want to make sure you don't do something that makes it so that you don't get the opportunity to, you know, play in college...which means you need to know the eligibility rules. Just sayin'

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
And I wonder how a kid knows which is which every time. I doubt they ask, "who paid for this ticket?" every time they get on a plane to play an AAU game.

Bingo. These kids aren't even 18 yet ...

Reaction Score
Actually I live in what might bew one of the few communities in Connecticut that is pretty ecomonically diverse. We have some pretty high end stuff and we have housing projects and a whole range in between.
Sounds like Danbury

Reaction Score
Actually I live in what might bew one of the few communities in Connecticut that is pretty ecomonically diverse. We have some pretty high end stuff and we have housing projects and a whole range in between. I get the point that kids might not pay attention to this stuff and that's why it is important that parents, guardians, coaches and boosters do. But of course you're right that many of them care about themselves first. First and be thers in high school about 10 years back and they were deep into swimming and water polo. Amazingly, college coaches recruit pretty heavily in these sports also, and the local coach and assistant were constantly monitoring the boys' compliance with NCAA rules and regulations, including the annual NCAA registration. This was also true of the other school programs.

Parents don't have the knowledge or resources to waatch over their kids, it must fall to the coaches, other players and school athletic authorities to monitor the kids' activities with the NCAA regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom