Boatright or Jalen? | The Boneyard

Boatright or Jalen?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
At this point, I thought JA would be lightyears better than Boat was for us. Boat could sometimes be frustrating--sometimes played too fast and got ahead of himself, some bad shots, get frustrated with teammates and refs. But Boat was a leader and he showed it on the court. JA has the tools to be better than Boat was for us, but I don't think he's done that yet. If I could replace JA with Boat right now, I would. What do you think?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
At this point, I thought JA would be lightyears better than Boat was for us. Boat could sometimes be frustrating--sometimes played too fast and got ahead of himself, some bad shots, get frustrated with teammates and refs. But Boat was a leader and he showed it on the court. JA has the tools to be better than Boat was for us, but I don't think he's done that yet. If I could replace JA with Boat right now, I would. What do you think?

Thats a tough one. JA has a much higher upside. Obviously JA's offensive game is far superior, but his defensive game is about equally inferior compared to Boats. In addition, Boat definitely by Senior year was a functional leader. JA for some reason is not that right now, and he absolutely should be.

Its a real good thought provoking question. Im hard pressed to answer it even though I want to. I dont know if you swap them that it actually changes things. We would look different and do different things (some better, some worse) . It almost seems to me going with my first gut reaction that it would end up being a dead even trade off as it stands today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thats a tough one. JA has a much higher upside. Obviously JA's offensive game is far superior, but his defensive game is about equally inferior to Boats. In addition, Boat definitely by Senior year was a functional leader. JA for some reason is not that right now, and he absolutely should be.

Its a real good thought provoking question. Im hard pressed to answer it even though I want to. I dont know if you swap them that it actually changes things. We would look different and do different things (some better, some worse) . It almost seems to me going with my first gut reaction that it would end up being a dead even trade off as it stands today.
Boat and JA are so different it’s immpossible to compare.
Boat was never actually even a PG and only got stuck playing there by necessity.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Thats a tough one. JA has a much higher upside. Obviously JA's offensive game is far superior, but his defensive game is about equally inferior compared to Boats. In addition, Boat definitely by Senior year was a functional leader. JA for some reason is not that right now, and he absolutely should be.

I absolutely agree that JA's upside is infinitely greater than Boat's. That's kind of the point, I guess. In Boatright, I saw a player who squeezed every ounce of potential out of himself. By his senior year here, he was as good as he could possibly be. Jalen has obviously not someone who has maximized their potential--that's while he'll end up on a G league roster somewhere. But I'd take Boat over JA on our team 7 days out of the week because he worked to max himself out--I just don't see that in Jalen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not even a question. Boatright was tough as nails and for anything he lacked offensively to Adams, he makes up for it ten-fold defensively.

Edit:

Two moments I want to include that will always stand out to me from Boat.

1) Boatright hitting that huge jumper with the messed up ankle vs Kentucky in the final.
2) Boatright (and Napier) just absolutely destroying Scottie Wilbiken in the national semis.

Reaction Score
Boat's D during the National title run will always have me eternally grateful. JA has far greater NBA potential based on size, but Boat was a crucial piece of the 14 Title. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Boatright. And it's not even close for me.

It's not that Jalen can't go off for 28 points on any given night. He can. But Boat had a ferocity that we haven't seen on this team since....well, since Boat. I actually miss the personality as much as I miss the play. That killer attitude that would permeate the other members of the team. We need that alpha dog to emerge...

Reaction Score
Boat more athletic, could rise up and get a jump shot at any moment, better D, Boat all the way.

Reaction Score
On the ball defense makes such a difference. Have to say Boatright even though I love jalen’s floaters and creative (right handed, of course) finishes.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
BigErn hit the nail on the head and beat me to it.
Ill take Jalen's size and scoring ability all day.
But ultimately Boatright had the intangibles. So Boatright is the answer, at least in college basketball.
Both need a Alpha ballhandler next to them though.
Although, I think maybe Shabazz and Jalen would've been better than Bazz and Boat. Bazz could've reeled Jalen in and maximized his ability as a secondary scorer.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Boat may have gotten more out of this supporting cast also.

Reaction Score
Yes, in a heartbeat, Jalen is the most overrated player I have ever seen on this board. People legit compared him to Kemba and Shabazz this preseason and put up threads about it being a slight he was not an AA.

Reaction Score
Boat, one of my all-time favorites. Nobody played harder.

Watch "Ryan Boatright - Heart of a Lion" on YouTube

Reaction Score

Why did you think Jalen would be better than Boat? I like Jalen.........A LOT, but better than Boat he ain't.

Reaction Score
Why did you think Jalen would be better than Boat? I like Jalen....A LOT, but better than Boat he ain't.

If he gave a s*** it wouldn't be close. But unlike Boat, his passion is not there for the team or the overall impact on the game using both ends. Heart wins out in this one, the little guy has a bigger one.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom