Boatright/Bazz observation | The Boneyard

Boatright/Bazz observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who here would have predicted that at just the start of the season Bazz name would not be coming up several times a game during broadcasts?

No disrespect to our HOH, but Boat 'almost' makes one forget about our AA, he's that good AND getting better. The kid is unstoppable and a nightmare for opposing teams.

We are so fortunate!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Who here would have predicted that at just the start of the season Bazz name would not be coming up several times a game during broadcasts?

No disrespect to our HOH, but Boat 'almost' makes one forget about our AA, he's that good AND getting better. The kid is unstoppable and a nightmare for opposing teams.

We are so fortunate!

He's not as good as Shabazz (and I know that's not what you were saying), but his leadership on the court reminds me a lot of Shabazz, Kemba, AJ, Taliek, etc. When we were up 4 late, it just felt like a spot where Shabazz would have made a play, and sure enough, Boat beat his guy off the dribble and hit a big layup to give us a little more breathing room, then had a big strip on the other end to put the game out of reach. I have complete confidence in Boat running this team.

Reaction Score
But, Bazz had Boat to spell him. We looked out of sorts when Boat is not in the game. If Boat fouls out, who has the ball in there hands at the end of the game? We need to find out which one the the 3 guards will be Boats Robin.

Reaction Score
Maybe the most Bazz-like thing he's doing is filling out the stat sheet like crazy.

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
Maybe the most Bazz-like thing he's doing is filling out the stat sheet like crazy.

He was denied a few boards he could have had too by stats quirks. Twice he grabbed it, got control and threw it off a player's leg and they called it a team rebound since it went out of bounds. I'd consider that possession and a rebound to Boat, but that's a judgment call.

He also had a rebound on an air ball at the end of the shot clock, but the refs blew it dead for the shot clock violation, so that does negate the rebound. I kind of wish that they'd go to a delayed call on those (sometimes it costs a team a fast break when they don't quite get to it before the horn). But oh well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's not as good as Shabazz (and I know that's not what you were saying), but his leadership on the court reminds me a lot of Shabazz, Kemba, AJ, Taliek, etc. When we were up 4 late, it just felt like a spot where Shabazz would have made a play, and sure enough, Boat beat his guy off the dribble and hit a big layup to give us a little more breathing room, then had a big strip on the other end to put the game out of reach. I have complete confidence in Boat running this team.

He's definitely better on D though. More complete in that respect.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Boat hasn't been as good as Bazz, at least so far. He's not as good a shooter or ballhandler, but he's getting there, and he's a better defender and he's a much better finisher around the basket. A couple of his finishes today were Kemba-esque. I know how absurd it is to compare Boat to Bazz last year, given how dominant he was, but Boat has been superb this season. If Boat, Purvis, and Hamilton continue to play this way, this team is going to be very dangerous.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Boat hasn't been as good as Bazz, at least so far. He's not as good a shooter or ballhandler, but he's getting there, and he's a better defender and he's a much better finisher around the basket. A couple of his finishes today were Kemba-esque. I know how absurd it is to compare Boat to Bazz last year, given how dominant he was, but Boat has been superb this season. If Boat, Purvis, and Hamilton continue to play this way, this team is going to be very dangerous.

I don't think we've seen enough to say that yet. Boat has been terrific, but Shabazz was a legitimate first-team All-American last year.

Reaction Score
I don't think we've seen enough to say that yet. Boat has been terrific, but Shabazz was a legitimate first-team All-American last year.

If Boatright continues at this pace, he'll be one this year. It's a small sample, obviously, and we could look back at this in a couple months and wonder what happened, but Boatright, so far, has done absolutely everything Napier did last year. He's been a great on-court leader, he's taking over when he needs to, getting others involved, playing great defense, and helping out on the boards.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Boatright continues at this pace, he'll be one this year. It's a small sample, obviously, and we could look back at this in a couple months and wonder what happened, but Boatright, so far, has done absolutely everything Napier did last year. He's been a great on-court leader, he's taking over when he needs to, getting others involved, playing great defense, and helping out on the boards.

He's been awesome, no doubt. But he hasn't carried us to a win yet like Shabazz did many times last year. Remember the Indiana game? Everyone in the gym knew Shabazz was taking the shot, and he'd still put it through the hoop.

Not disparaging Boat at all here; he's been spectacular, and this team would be lost without him. Just think what Shabazz did last year was on another level.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I look at them as very similar players, however Boat is a little better on D. Shabazz had a better jumpshot and used it to bail us out of late shot clock possessions. Whereas Boat drives in the same situation and either pulls up, looks for contact at the rim/goes for a layup, or kicks it out.

Reaction Score
Im not going to compare as they are very different player. Boat has been absolutely terrific so far and im going to enjoy watching him this season.

Reaction Score
He's been awesome, no doubt. But he hasn't carried us to a win yet like Shabazz did many times last year. Remember the Indiana game? Everyone in the gym knew Shabazz was taking the shot, and he'd still put it through the hoop.

Not disparaging Boat at all here; he's been spectacular, and this team would be lost without him. Just think what Shabazz did last year was on another level.
It will be interesting to see what happens if this team finds itself in a score-or-lose situation. I certainly think that Boat has all of the tools to be an elite crunch-time scorer, but you make a good point. A big part of the Legend of Napier is his penchant for game-winning shots. Same with Kemba. I'll just say that, at the moment, I like Boatright's chances.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what happens if this team finds itself in a score-or-lose situation. I certainly think that Boat has all of the tools to be an elite crunch-time scorer, but you make a good point. A big part of the Legend of Napier is his penchant for game-winning shots. Same with Kemba. I'll just say that, at the moment, I like Boatright's chances.

Interesting thing about those situations is that I like Hamilton's ability to get a quality shot off too. There's a risk Boat could get bottled up by good D (such as if someone reads his step back and he can't shoot over the top). Ideally, we can have Boat operate in a 1-4 or with a high ball screen as option one, and then run something off the ball to get Hamilton free as a second option. If Hamilton's man stays with him, I think he could still get something off with his size. But I'd rather have Boat make the first read/decision.

The ball was in Boat's hands a fair number of times last year on key possessions, although the "score or lose" ones were probably all Bazz, since the PC game in 2013 (not counting the Omar 35-footer when Bazz gave it up).

Reaction Score
He's made great strides with his game. As a freshman and sophomore he would bull his way to the hoop and get stripped all the time. Now he's got the pull up game. Assists, steals, rebounds are all very Kemba and Bazz like. So far he's doing it all.

Reaction Score
He's made great strides with his game. As a freshman and sophomore he would bull his way to the hoop and get stripped all the time. Now he's got the pull up game. Assists, steals, rebounds are all very Kemba and Bazz like. So far he's doing it all.

And to think, just last fall, we used to speculate how good Boat could be if he developed a pull up, and now it seems automatic.

I love having these small, super skilled guards who are just tiny enough that they peak in the JR/SR years, instead of leaving early based on potential. I hope Jalen is next, but he may be too tall.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A couple contrary thoughts to a some things posted in this thread.

1) While he's been doing almost everything, his defense in the first half stunk today. At least three or four fouls on the bigs in the first half were caused when Boat got blown by and a big had to try to stop the ball. His defense has been very good to excellent in the second half all three games.

2) While Bazz was happy to take game winning shots, you could argue that we shouldn't have been in that situation some of the time. Today is the perfect example when Boat sent us up by 6 with the round the corner layup and then a strip. Last year, up 4 in a game like this, we would often let the other team back in. Boat extended it thereby not needing to take a game winner. I'll take easy cruises to Ws every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom