Boat vs. Bazz | The Boneyard

Boat vs. Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing we don't know, but interesting to see the stat in the 3rd tweet:

@EdDaigneault: Because I like numbers, compared Boatright's numbers this year to Napier's last year. They are so close it's scary.

@EdDaigneault: In other words, the issue isn't Boatright. It's that he doesn't have the luxuries around him that Napier had.

@EdDaigneault: Napier had 20+ pts 14 times last year. In 10 of those games, somebody else had at least 14 points. Boat has 8 20+ games, 3x another had 14+

Reaction Score
As for scoring it also should be noted that Napier played off the ball for periods at a time and had another guard to pass him the ball.

So who is capable of setting up Boat for scoring opportunities other than himself? Especially when 2 people are defending him and teams focusing on shutting him down ALL the the time. Its amazing he is able to score like he has.

Reaction Score
Truth is it's not close. Love Boat, but Bazz by a decent margin.

Reaction Score
3/8 = 37.5%
10/14 = 71.4%

Bazz got almost twice as many big performances from his supporting cast.

Yeah, there is more to the game than numbers, which is why I'm more impressed that Boat is basically duplicating Bazz's production. He doesn't have those other weapons. And not only are they not as good right now, they are not nearly as experienced. People talk about the leader making his team mates better. Well honestly, it's hard to think of what Boat can do to make these guys better when some guys are struggling with fundamentals and/or regressing. Napier went to battle with assault rifles at his disposal; Boat is going to battle with pocket knives.

I hope that's the only negative post I make this year, but it was made as a defense for Boat

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Comparing numbers is a joke. By this method one could argue that Bryce Cotton was better than Shabazz. No.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not surd why they are just counting games where Bazz/Boat scored 20?
Did the second scorer score off a Bazz/Boat assists?
Seems a strange way to compare them.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Bazz played with three guys, Boat, Daniels, Giffey, who were or will be invited to NBA summer leagues.
No one under 7ft other than Boat will be invited to any summer camps based on their performances this year, not even DHam.

Reaction Score
In an early game an NBA scout summed it up by saying about Boat"he has no help"
Nothing has changed since then. If we had what we had last year in Giffey and Daniels we would be well on our way to the tourney. It's not Boat's fault, they are all over him.

Reaction Score
Truth is, unless you give Boat a comparable runnin' pardner, it will never be an apples to apples comparison.

Watch the games last year, when Bazz had it going he was doubled and tripled - jumped off of screens, just like the excuse for Boat - the other team was told to not let him beat you, let someone else. He still delivered all the time at a consistent rate. He is not even close as an athlete as Boat has tremendous ability to the hole, but Bazz had the "it" they speak of and Boat, not always. I agree Boat has less of a support system in place but it's not like they are leaving the others wide open right?

The eye test has Bazz simply because of his consistency but it is surely worth the debate.

D

Deleted member 3149

Something missing in the stats are the intangibles Bazz carried. He's one of the best to ever play the college game.

Reaction Score
Something missing in the stats are the intangibles Bazz carried. He's one of the best to ever play the college game.
Offense aside, Napier was a much better defender than Boat ever was IMO.

Reaction Score
I think most of us agree that SN was the better player but the numbers are similar and one could wonder what if Ryan had a more productive supporting cast especially considering last years team scored almost 7 ppg more.
Bazz scored 25% of the teams points and averaged 40% of the teams assists last year
Boat scores 26% of the teams points and averages 35% of the teams assists.
Napier was a much better rebounder. Ryan turns it over at a slightly lower rate than Shabazz

And to comment on huskyrob1 post. I think Boatright is the better defender.

Reaction Score
Clearly you missed last year's NCAA Tournament. When locked in, Boat's better. What he did to Wilbekin was criminal.
I guess we can agree to disagree. My thinking was that I never saw Boat pick someones pocket like Napier used to do in the open court almost every game.

Reaction Score
The difference I see is that Bazz wore a smile and Boat doesn't.

Reaction Score
I guess we can agree to disagree. My thinking was that I never saw Boat pick someones pocket like Napier used to do in the open court almost every game.
That's your argument...?

Reaction Score
I think most of us agree that SN was the better player but the numbers are similar and one could wonder what if Ryan had a more productive supporting cast especially considering last years team scored almost 7 ppg more.
Bazz scored 25% of the teams points and averaged 40% of the teams assists last year
Boat scores 26% of the teams points and averages 35% of the teams assists.
Napier was a much better rebounder. Ryan turns it over at a slightly lower rate than Shabazz

And to comment on huskyrob1 post. I think Boatright is the better defender.

Good points - the TO's though are skewed as Bazz was the man with the ball for 3 years and Boat for one. Obviously Boats assistance, especially last year helped him along but nonetheless he had the ball in his possession mostly for 3 years and was basically Boat for a year with Kemba.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At the start of the season, an awful lot of posters commented that we'll be ok so long as Boat doesn't try to be
Bazz. Now some of are complaining that Boat isn't Bazz. You are right, he's not. If Boat had someone else who could be relied on then Boat could be Boat, scoring when it's there and creating for others when it's not. I think Boat is doing one hell of a job this season. It's not enough, but that's not his fault. We can't win 1 on five.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom