Boat and Omar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boat and Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all the posters out there calling anyone a troll who criticizes Omar: that last two minutes sums up why he kills us. He finally makes a nice play to draw
A charge. Next possession he bricks a WIDE open three. Next possession he doesn't box out and Prather grabs the offensive board over him and lays it in. 5 point swing right there in ten seconds. Next play his guys beats him down the court for a layup. Instead of up one were down six. That is why he can't play. Honest question. If he can't even make a WIDE open three. What is he in for?

Reaction Score
For all the posters out there calling anyone a troll who criticizes Omar: that last two minutes sums up why he kills us. He finally makes a nice play to draw
A charge. Next possession he bricks a WIDE open three. Next possession he doesn't box out and Prather grabs the offensive board over him and lays it in. 5 point swing right there in ten seconds. Next play his guys beats him down the court for a layup. Instead of up one were down six. That is why he can't play. Honest question. If he can't even make a WIDE open three. What is he in for?
I'm so fine with this criticism, I agree with it. But the original post is in no way productive. Spew your negativity in your own living room.

Reaction Score
Man Boatright played so "bad" tonight with his amazing penetration that led to a 4 point play for Napier. Napier and Boat feed off each other. One is not as good without the other. Cannot believe you can say Boatright is bad. He was the quiet hero for us tonight. He helped Napier shine. LOVE BOAT!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, check the stats
Boat last 4 games:
2-8
3-8
2-9
2-8

Hmmmmm

38% on the year shooting

Stats don't tell the whole story B Vog. Watch and understand basketball. You just witnessed an amazing win and Boatright was a HUGE factor. Statistical evidence fails in comparison to watching a playmaker make plays with your own eyes.

Reaction Score
Stats don't tell the whole story B Vog. Watch and understand basketball. You just witnessed an amazing win and Boatright was a HUGE factor. Statistical evidence fails in comparison to watching a playmaker make plays with your own eyes.

Yes. The threat of a second ball-handling playmaker opens things up for everyone. Neither of them get the same penetration or open looks when the other is out. Its a lot easier to key on one guy when you know the others aren't as capable creating off the dribble.

Reaction Score
Mike Moran said:

Seriously. Our second to last possession, Boat set up Bazz wide open twice, and in between broke down the D to get Kromah the look in the corner (I believe it went Boat to Giff to Kromah - but I could be wrong). Three times he had the ball in his hands, and three times we ended up with good shots.

Bazz had the ball in his hands the last time, and although I think he may have been hurt too badly to make a quick move and the defense pounced on him, we ended up with garbage.

Now imagine if that was reversed - Bazz orchestrating three good shots and Boat dribbling off his own leg into a trap and flailing around before putting up a brick. We'd be killing Boat here.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Our second to last possession, Boat set up Bazz wide open twice, and in between broke down the D to get Kromah the look in the corner (I believe it went Boat to Giff to Kromah - but I could be wrong). Three times he had the ball in his hands, and three times we ended up with good shots.

Bazz had the ball in his hands the last time, and although I think he may have been hurt too badly to make a quick move and the defense pounced on him, we ended up with garbage.

Now imagine if that was reversed - Bazz orchestrating three good shots and Boat dribbling off his own leg into a trap and flailing around before putting up a brick. We'd be killing Boat here.

I watched that play a few times in my DVR. I am not sure though if it's a credit to Bazz's brilliance or Boat's penetration because he is practically still on the 3pt line, and Bazz is 4 or 5 feet outside 3 pt line.

Reaction Score
HailUConn said:
I watched that play a few times in my DVR. I am not sure though if it's a credit to Bazz's brilliance or Boat's penetration because he is practically still on the 3pt line, and Bazz is 4 or 5 feet outside 3 pt line.

On the shot he made, Boat threw him a clever no-look bounce pass going across his body that the D didn't read quickly enough. That shot was well within Bazz range (he's won games from 30 feet before), and he was able to step into the shot. Can't ask for a better look at a tying three.

On the first one, it just looked like a simple kick out when Boat got into the seam of the 1-3-1 and found Bazz on the wing. Florida misplayed that one leaving Bazz open, but got away with it.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Two players combining for 21 points on a soon-to-be top 10 team that averages 78 ppg is just a not good. Omar played some good D tonight. Drew that charge, if you recall.

Reaction Score
i'm sorry my opinion means that much to you.what does boat do well? i'd like you to tell me. if you cant see for yourself the problems with calhoun then i can't help you.
Boat plays great defense. He is great from stopping penetration. He did a great job on the Florida pt gd when Napier was struggling to stay in front of him.

I do agree a little bit about oc. I think he should be coming off the bench to give us a shooter. If he is hot let him play if not go to NG and LK. OC is painful see dribble or pass the ball.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
i'm sorry my opinion means that much to you.what does boat do well? i'd like you to tell me. if you cant see for yourself the problems with calhoun then i can't help you.

Can you beat Boat 1-1?

U

UCONNfan1

I think it's unfortunate that a post like this even exits on the board after a great game like the one we just saw. I could see discussing the flaws in their games, or lamenting things about their performance, and at first I thought the OP was making a funny. When I realized he was actually serious, I was sad. Sad that someone even thinks to post drivel like that during an exciting game that was nerve wracking, but ultimately very satisfying.

And btw, Giff got 22 minutes to Omar's 15. Clearly Ollie is seeing the value of having Giff on the court. Even Kromah and Brimah got more minutes (17 ea) than Omar. Guess what though - first, his family reads the board (Omar's). Second, the kid's in a funk, and it appears his minutes are diminishing. Third, what he or his family probably needs to read is how much the UCONN family (because yes, we portray ourselves as a family to recruits) is rooting for Omar, and supporting him during his struggles, because I guarantee you no one is as frustrated or upset at his performances as Omar is...

I'm actually embarrassed the OP is a UCONN fan. IMHO no one who is a "husky for life" would post something like that about a player who is struggling. No one.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Boat plays great defense. He is great from stopping penetration. He did a great job on the Florida pt gd when Napier was struggling to stay in front of him.

I do agree a little bit about oc. I think he should be coming off the bench to give us a shooter. If he is hot let him play if not go to no and lk. Oc is painful see dribble or pass the ball.
thank you for actual insight. i wouldn't say he plays "great" defense, he plays decent defense when he gets to play defense on other pgs, when he plays defense on sg not so much.

Reaction Score
Boat has been playing a great floor game, he still gets caught up in the moment with the dribbling displays every now and then but he's been much better at directing the offense this year. That being said, I would like to see him score a bit more, and efficiently while doing so. I think he can still be a 14ppg dynamic scorer while still getting everyone involved, him and Omar picking up their offense will probably eliminate the need for the 1-2 pt wins. Its still early, it will come.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
and i can judge boatright and say he's not playing well

Right. But when I say your are a , I'm right and when you judge them, you are wrong. And a

Reaction Score
UCONNfan1 said:
I think it's unfortunate that a post like this even exits on the board after a great game like the one we just saw. I could see discussing the flaws in their games, or lamenting things about their performance, and at first I thought the OP was making a funny. When I realized he was actually serious, I was sad. Sad that someone even thinks to post drivel like that during an exciting game that was nerve wracking, but ultimately very satisfying.

And btw, Giff got 22 minutes to Omar's 15. Clearly Ollie is seeing the value of having Giff on the court. Even Kromah and Brimah got more minutes (17 ea) than Omar. Guess what though - first, his family reads the board (Omar's). Second, the kid's in a funk, and it appears his minutes are diminishing. Third, what he or his family probably needs to read is how much the UCONN family (because yes, we portray ourselves as a family to recruits) is rooting for Omar, and supporting him during his struggles.

If someone in the Calhoun family could just check the likes to posts ratio, they'll get a sense for whether someone is capturing the true mood of the Boneyard or is just a lone hyena.

I'm not surprised Omar is having some early season inconsistencies. He was idle for a long time after surgery, and basketball - shooting in particular - can be largely about rhythm and feel. We know he's capable of being a big time scorer against big time defenses and can hit big shots. It's a long season, so if he's off his game now, no worries. We'll need him to get his rhythm back, because Giffey isn't going to shoot 70 percent from three all season, and Omar does some things well that Giffey can't do. If there's a guy on the other team who can't fight around screens and/or defend off the dribble at the 3, we'll want Omar exploiting that.

Reaction Score
and i can judge boatright and say he's not playing well

You said he's "not a good player". Huge difference. Starting threads in the middle of games is completely moronic. If you want to post your asinine thoughts during a game, do it in the game thread where they'll get buried.

Reaction Score
Huskyforlife isn't a troll - there are worse posters here than him. That being said, this is a dumb thread. Top ten teams don't start bad players. Omar is struggling right now, but at least he doesn't continually force the issue to the detriment of the team like say, Finney-Smith of Florida, who committed six turnovers in 24 minutes tonight. Let's not forget that the kid is still recovering from hip surgery, and even if he's medically cleared, it can take a while to mentally distance yourself from the injury.

As for Boatright, the kid is averaging four assists a game from the two guard position - that's impressive. If Shabazz was not on the roster, I have no doubt he could average upwards of six assists while keeping his turnover rate down. He's still got a ways to go defensively (I seem to recall him getting picked off on an off-ball screen late in the game, but I'd have to check the tape to be sure), but he's progressed quite a bit from where he was last season. If I'm disappointed in one facet of Boatright's game, it's his mid-range game. It's his junior year, and he's an undersized point guard with NBA aspirations. That thing needs to be automatic for him to have any shot, and it isn't even above average at this point. That's what's separating him from being a decent player and a poor man's Kemba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom