Bo Ryan - Sore Loser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bo Ryan - Sore Loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tough to blame the refs when... Okafor had to sit crucial minutes because of foul trouble.

Yet that is what the Dukies did in 2004. They still think they got jobbed.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ryan is 67 and knows that his team was a perfect aligning of the stars and he'll never reach this point again. He saw his life flash before his eyes and realized this was the pinnacle and he'll never get there again so of course he's bitter.

Reaction Score
Tough to blame the refs when Winslow and Okafor had to sit crucial minutes because of foul trouble.

I think it is, I didn't witness their first half fouls, but I didn't see much uproar about them being bad calls. I felt Okafor had to deal with a game that Brimah has had what, a dozen times this year? Sometimes, a guy can get 4 fouls in a half or a team can have 10 fouls to the other's 2, and its a well officiated game. Sometimes theres a logical difference based on how one team is defending and how the other is.

Reaction Score
Ryan also blew it by taking no timeouts when his offense was in disarray those last few possessions, especially the last one when they needed a 3 and the shot clock violation possession. He had 3 TO's left at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
I think it is, I didn't witness their first half fouls, but I didn't see much uproar about them being bad calls. I felt Okafor had to deal with a game that Brimah has had what, a dozen times this year? Sometimes, a guy can get 4 fouls in a half or a team can have 10 fouls to the other's 2, and its a well officiated game. Sometimes theres a logical difference based on how one team is defending and how the other is.

okafor was a step slow all night and his fouls were good calls. But losing him and K going to a smaller lineup actually helped Dook win the game.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Wisconsin had 2 fouls in the first half. Coach K said at halftime that they needed to focus on changing that. And they obviously did. Jones and Allen purposely initiated contact more in the 2nd half. Did the refs give them some gifts? No question. (Not just with fouls, but with the two out-of-bounds calls against Winslow that should have been made.) Still, I stand on my original point: Wisconsin got out-coached and out-played. Duke made the adjustments they needed to win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bo was out coached, end of story.
I love this reaction
A team loses and its because the coach was out coached
This is the 2000's sexy line
70% its BS

Reaction Score
Except that Winslow should have had to sit more. He very clearly committed two blatant charges in the second half after Okafor got his fourth, and then obviously he knocked a ball out of bounds that was somehow given back to Duke, and he stepped out of bounds with the ball and it wasn't called. These things put points on the board for Duke, and unquestionably changed the game. Yes, Duke was in foul trouble, but that doesn't mean that there weren't some egregious no-calls. Yes, Wisconsin had a big lead and should have held onto it, but that doesn't mean that the refs didn't give Duke free points that they probably don't win without.

I agree with this. Even outside of the obvious baseline no call and the ball clearly touching Winslow last and then those 2 charges, what Bo said specifically about the hand checking is true as well. The way Okafor played Kaminsky on 2-3 consecutive possessions late was an absolute joke, the refs could have called about 4 fouls each of those possessions with how much Okafor was putting his hands on Frank's body.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that Kentucky, for all their wins, was done in the last two years by two teams led by juniors and seniors. But then Duke comes along and shows that sometimes talent really does trump everything.
There's also this little piece called coaching. Sure Puke had plenty of talent, but K is also light years ahead of Cal. If K had that UK team, no way it doesn't go undefeated. We were calling it all season, that eventually Cal's ineptitude would catch up with them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Looking back at this I am not going to condone or back Bo BUT looking back at the MSU game, Izzo echoed a lot of the same theme. His kids were complaining that they were being held, shirts being held, moving screens and a lot of "after play" physical stuff.
Wiscy didn't play their best game - not at all
The officiating was horrible and terribly slanted (not saying it was purposeful) and it blows my mind that the least penalized team in the NCAA gave the opponent the double bonus 9 minutes into a half. I saw K into 2 officials ears at half so whatever was said sure worked.
Winslow should have fouled out with 12 minutes left in the game and if anyone doesn't think that would have changed things they are crazy. Winslow played a free agent defense that allowed him to grab bounds.
Again Wiscy didn't close the deal, they let a bench guy burn them without adjustments.
The NCAA needs to look at the skill and perhaps the integrity of the officials. Many are intimidated by folks like Pitino and K.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There's also this little piece called coaching. Sure Puke had plenty of talent, but K is also light years ahead of Cal. If K had that UK team, no way it doesn't go undefeated. We were calling it all season, that eventually Cal's ineptitude would catch up with them.
If Kentucky was in the SEC with K yes, in any other P5, nobody coaches them to an unblemished record

Reaction Score
It looked like they relaxed after Okafor had to sit out in the 2nd half along with Winslow. They seemed to think they had the upper hand and allowed Allen to go off on them. Their defense on him was awful. He just drove to the hoop with hardly a challenge. the only time it seemed they did challenge him he just threw up a prayer and they called a foul. allen is the reason they lost that game. they were up 48-39 and K called the timeout and then Allen did his thing.

Reaction Score
For some reason Bo did not get his team to go to Frank and that's on him. The charges he has a case I think, with his guys getting bowled over 5 feet outside the line.

Reaction Score
First: We watched CBS replay that ball going out of bounds about 8 times (probably more). I don't think I had any question that the kid Winslow touched it; I believed he ever-so-slightly changed the rotation. But, was it 100% certain? Those 3 refs watched it carefully. You can't say that didn't analyze correctly & came to a conclusion. I don't buy they story that Duke always gets that benefit of the 50/50.

Sec0nd: Two Duke interior linchpins (Okafor & Winslow) were bogged down (affected) by Foul Trouble. If it was Brimah, then we'd never had seen him for 80% of the second half. But, I think the 3 refs did want to call legit last fouls on those 2. And, they didn't get called. But, that's on Wisconsin too: they could have forced the Okafor 5th easily with a very versatile Kaminsky. I think they played into this. You could have forced this trouble on Duke. You didn't.

Third: Winning time? First Allen. Then ... the FR Jones. They took that game by the throat. Nobody on Wisconsin stepped up when it mattered; in fact, I remember a bunch of missed FTs. You gots to come through.

Wisconsin is like 346 other Programs (including ours). We don't get that ONE & DONE. Maybe Under Armour is going to throw that into the B1G. But ... don't sniffle. You still can win the FF with a development program. Just have to play better at the crucial moments.

Reaction Score
First: We watched CBS replay that ball going out of bounds about 8 times (probably more). I don't think I had any question that the kid Winslow touched it; I believed he ever-so-slightly changed the rotation. But, was it 100% certain? Those 3 refs watched it carefully. You can't say that didn't analyze correctly & came to a conclusion. I don't buy they story that Duke always gets that benefit of the 50/50.
Haha, what?

The only way you can conclude they made the right call is if all three officials are blind and/or don't have eyes.

I'm not getting into the discussion of whether or not the refs cost Wisco the game, but that decision (plus some of the calls in the Wisconsin-Kentucky game) was an inexplicable one. If we can't count on three officials - who supposedly are among the best in college - to get a relatively easy call right with replay, how can we expect them to make the right calls in real time?

Reaction Score
Haha, what?

The only way you can conclude they made the right call is if all three officials are blind and/or don't have eyes.

I'm not getting into the discussion of whether or not the refs cost Wisco the game, but that decision (plus some of the calls in the Wisconsin-Kentucky game) was an inexplicable one. If we can't count on three officials - who supposedly are among the best in college - to get a relatively easy call right with replay, how can we expect them to make the right calls in real time?

See ... I don't think "easy" is the definition of that call. And, I think we are all biased by the CBS repeated showing & Raftery. It's less than certainty.

Reaction Score
See ... I don't think "easy" is the definition of that call. And, I think we are all biased by the CBS repeated showing & Raftery. It's less than certainty.
Compared to similar situations, reversing the call was a relatively easy decision to make.

Not even sure how this a debate.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Three-quarters of the comments here make me want to go, "You're right," irrespective of the degree to which many contradict each other.
Any way you parse it, Duke did last night what Kentucky could not do last year.
Put another way, Wisconsin could not hold the lead in ways that UConn did.
Yay.

Reaction Score
Three-quarters of the comments here make me want to go, "You're right," irrespective of the degree to which many contradict each other.
Any way you parse it, Duke did last night what Kentucky could not do last year.
Put another way, Wisconsin could not hold the lead in ways that UConn did.
Yay.

And the answer is ...

Guards. Control the End Game. Make your FTs. And ... make the plays in the last 4 minutes more than the others.

Reaction Score
The game was poorly officiated both ways up until the point Wisconsin went up 48 to 39. After that it was a complete joke. Some questionable And-1 calls, the missed Winslow out of bounds, a charge on Winslow called a blocking foul, and of course the Winslow finger tip out of bounds. Those are critical parts of the game coming down the stretch. I realize that some of that stuff happens so quickly the refs use their best judgment. However, when the National Title is on the line, those types of calls have to be correct, and the majority of them were not. Anyone who thinks that Winslow didn't touch that ball is nuts, get a pair of glasses and look harder. Wisconsin was down 3 points and should have gotten the ball back, instead Duke goes down and scores 2 points to increase it to 5. Pretty big turn of events there. Also, 13 fouls in the second half is extreme, especially for a team that does not foul. 2 fouls in the 1st half to 13 in the second half is a bit drastic. I have no problem with what Bo said, I wish he said more to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom