Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Blue/White Night, 11/2 @7p (Updated)

Reaction Score
Not really weird. It's how high schools report it in the state after every game. If you read anything about the CIAC that's how they report stats.

It’s written as a high school newspaper box score.

Interesting, maybe I just never paid attention but don't remember ever seeing it this way for NY HS stats

Reaction Score
So we're 4 posts in with the postgame thoughts from people in attendance. On PGs we've gotten Newton stood out/will start and Diarra struggled, Diarra will start, both PGs played great, and we're in trouble with no PGs. Sounds about right

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the impressions above from posters who attended. The tweets not so much. Funny though everyone sees something a little different, even the friend with whom I attended.

As I said above, Hawk was the story. I think that is the greatest point of consensus. Not perfect, but looked like where we want/need him to be.

And I liked Alleyne a lot. I was more impressed by him overall than I was by Newton or Diarra and wouldn’t be surprised to see him battling them for major time. His handle looked good enough to play point from what I saw, and he seemed to have a lot more in his bag of tricks, along with some swagger. I get the sense that Danny and Kimani both like him a lot.

Agree that Donovan seems better developed than expected. My buddy thinks he could start alongside Sanogo; I won’t go that far, but he’s too big and skilled not to see some time. And I love that Sanogo practices against him and Johnson.

Speaking of Johnson, he looks a lot different. He was streaky and sneaky. @HuskyHawk will have his moments to crow.

Joey California is solid and will definitely contribute.

@navery12 , just saw your post and am laughing as I realize I just added yet another PG possibility. Suffice to say I can see why Danny is going with the AJax point experiment. I think it may work, but I’d like to see it with Alleyene alongside.

Reaction Score
Just to echo what some others have said. Hawkins will be a star. No hesitation to shoot this year. Clingan looked like he belongs. Diarra was a menace defensively, needs to improve his shot. Think he’s a guy we will all come to love by season end. I see so much potential in Newton it’s just gotta click. He’s a big PG at 6’5. Will take a bit of time but I think he’s going to be good. AK seemed a bit off possibly from the ankle injury but I think he compliments Samson really well. Two different types of 4s. Andres finger looked fine. If I didn’t know I honestly would of thought he wasn’t hurt. Final thought, the coaches are really funny when you’re close enough to hear their jokes.

Edit: I really liked what I saw from alleyne. More than a shooter. I think he starts Monday.

Reaction Score
I agree with those that think Diarra might eventually be a better fit to start. Based on what I saw tonight, he seems to have better vision and looks to set up others more often than Newton. Newton played generally well and did a great job scoring, but that may not be what we need from our starting PG. I can see now why Jackson at point forward is much needed. But hey, its one scrimmage…

Other observations:
  • Alleyne plays like a vet. Good D, great shot.
  • Impressed by Clingan’s passing and vision. Found cutters multiple times for easy layups.
  • Samson brings better D, Karaban better offense. Interesting to see how the lineups will play out

Reaction Score
I agree with those that think Diarra might eventually be a better fit to start. Based on what I saw tonight, he seems to have better vision and looks to set up others more often than Newton. Newton played generally well and did a great job scoring, but that may not be what we need from our starting PG. I can see now why Jackson at point forward is much needed. But hey, its one scrimmage…

Other observations:
  • Alleyne plays like a vet. Good D, great shot.
  • Impressed by Clingan’s passing and vision. Found cutters multiple times for easy layups.
  • Samson brings better D, Karaban better offense. Interesting to see how the lineups will play out
Diarra dribbling into a double team instead of passing to a wide open Karaban, or throwing and inaccurate pass to Alleyne that resulted in a turnover instead of a open shot to end the period.

Did these things cause some concern or hesitation about him playing PG?

Reaction Score
"Man, I've improved a lot," Johnson said. "Last year, I didn't know where to be at on defense. I just learned from all the guys and prepared myself for this year."

"I had to figure out," Johnson said. "I wasn't ready. This year, during the summer, I worked out a lot, watched a lot of film, lifted a lot of weights, and I'm ready."

Alternate free link:

Blue/White scrimmage takeaway: Samson Johnson has come a long way in a year

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, some also learned that hawk can shoot.
like he could from the minute he stepped on the floor here, last year.
like he should have been doing last year instead of watching typo from the bench.
14.7 minutes a game. coaching malpractice.

danny sez 'we need to be tougher.' sure, replacing nails martin and hardhead cole is easy. ya just go to the 'rent-a-player' store, grab a case of grit off the shelf, and roll the balls out there.
on the udder hand, i fully expect freshmen recruits donno and alex to bring a pantload of tuff to the floor. prolly a couple cans of whoopazz, too.
when does richy get to play?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Diarra dribbling into a double team instead of passing to a wide open Karaban, or throwing and inaccurate pass to Alleyne that resulted in a turnover instead of a open shot to end the period.

Did these things cause some concern or hesitation about him playing PG?
We haven’t heard from @BigErnMcCracken , so yes, we should be very concerned.

Reaction Score
Alleyne was very impressive. Made 3s and has a great pull up game. Newton can get his shot off with ease with his length. Clingan is a beast on the boards and definitely challenges Sanogo to take his game outside. Calcaterra will be a nice fit to this group, adds a bit of swagger and nice handle. Most posters are gonna like this team as we get into the year..

Reaction Score
Just got back to Stamford a short while ago. It’s been a while since I’ve been on campus. Just such an impressive look coming in from the woods and seeing the new rink under construction, then a strong crowd for soccer, Burton and Werth. Campus was alive. Love how everything is lit up at night.

As for the scrimmage, a few observations:
  • Clingan is a super-skilled passer for a big man. I really believe he will have an impact passing the ball out of the post. He did look winded by the third “quarter” but he showed a lot of energy and good footwork for his size.
  • Calcaterra surprised me the most tonight. He hit shots, he plays a very poised game, was active, and drew an offensive foul with some great defense. I think his role will be greater than I expected when he came on board.
  • Aleyne plays a very smart, under control game. Strange, but smooth shot and his defense looked strong.
  • I don’t see the concerns about Newton. The guy plays effortlessly, is silky smooth and can get to the rim whenever he wants. And I want him starting because…
  • Diarra scares me a bit. He is high energy and a bulldog on defense. But there were possessions where he pounded the ball on the perimeter, didn’t pass, and took some ill-advised shots. Newton would be my more dependable choice at PG.
  • Aside from hitting that 3, biggest difference with Adama is that he looks slimmer, chiseled, and much quicker around the basket. Had a few super athletic moves that I did not see last season.
  • Hawkins was crazy assertive. Looks much more sure of himself out there. And I loved what I saw.
  • While Karaban’s jumper wasn’t on (except for the banked 3), he played like a floor leader. He also appeared to talk to Kimani more than anyone else on the white (grey?) team.
  • I thought Samson was quite active, especially on defense. Covered Karaban well. A few statement dunks and blocked a Clingan layup. Samson is a human pterodactyl. Length for days.

Reaction Score
For those that watched, how was Hawkins handle? Much improved over last year? Or about the same?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Man, I hope Hawkins breaks out and plays like Hurley thinks he will. Besides becoming the scorer they need, the 2nd best thing is that it would shut up @HuskyWarrior611 so we don't have to read one more time about how Hawkins is not that good because he couldn't carve out more playing time last season. :)
Woah woah woah you’re not finding a bigger Hawkins fan then me. I’ll be able to bask in my glory once he looks like a lottery pick after supposedly not deserving more than 15 mins a game last year :cool:

Reaction Score
Just an FYI that his name is Newton, like the suburb just west of Boston, and not Newtown, the town along I-84 between Waterbury and Danbury. Just trying to cut that off before the season starts. :)
Nobody thought his name was New-Town, the town in CT. but thanks for the heads up.

Reaction Score
So we're 4 posts in with the postgame thoughts from people in attendance. On PGs we've gotten Newton stood out/will start and Diarra struggled, Diarra will start, both PGs played great, and we're in trouble with no PGs. Sounds about right
Get used to it.

I've yet to see them play and I already know this whole season is going to boil down to point guard play. The team is going to be good but the question of how good they'll be is all be tied up in the point guard position. It looks like we have three guys who can kind of play the position instead of 1 stud (last year) who could really play the position.

The pieces are there, I think we learn a lot about Hurley's coaching this season.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the impressions above from posters who attended. The tweets not so much. Funny though everyone sees something a little different, even the friend with whom I attended.

As I said above, Hawk was the story. I think that is the greatest point of consensus. Not perfect, but looked like where we want/need him to be.

And I liked Alleyne a lot. I was more impressed by him overall than I was by Newton or Diarra and wouldn’t be surprised to see him battling them for major time. His handle looked good enough to play point from what I saw, and he seemed to have a lot more in his bag of tricks, along with some swagger. I get the sense that Danny and Kimani both like him a lot.

Agree that Donovan seems better developed than expected. My buddy thinks he could start alongside Sanogo; I won’t go that far, but he’s too big and skilled not to see some time. And I love that Sanogo practices against him and Johnson.

Speaking of Johnson, he looks a lot different. He was streaky and sneaky. @HuskyHawk will have his moments to crow.

Joey California is solid and will definitely contribute.

@navery12 , just saw your post and am laughing as I realize I just added yet another PG possibility. Suffice to say I can see why Danny is going with the AJax point experiment. I think it may work, but I’d like to see it with Alleyene alongside.
I would tell your buddy to slow his roll...

Still yet to see them play but I've been bullish on Clingan since I saw him play a bunch against the liliputians and have thought he's been underrated nationally and by several members on this board. The way Hurley talks about him (I don't take that all that seriously, didn't with Calhoun either) but the way his body has already changed, he's a gym rat and he has a better basketball build than 99.9% of basketball players.

I think the kid actually got unfairly dinged up by playing against people he could dismantle, kid's already advanced in a couple of spots and with our coaching he will be big time in the not too far off future. He ain't Craig Forth.

Alleyne won't be running point but it's nice he can handle some.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So basically, criticism of somebody offering a name correction for a name that that nobody's messing up, and two posts about what wasn't seen tonight.

#latenightinsight

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom