OT: - Blue Jay's Need a Home | The Boneyard

OT: Blue Jay's Need a Home

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Feel like Bronin should be on the phone with them right now. Good proximity to Toronto, and great proximity to other AL East teams. Plus, a rational and science-based government and population. And a new stadium to boot.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The only argument for that over Buffalo is proximity to other AL east teams.

Buffalo has a good stadium right down the road from TO and they are the AAA affiliate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are people saying they should use the yard goats stadium? Right field is 308 ft they had to get special permission for minor league baseball because it's so short. Sorry but that stadium is not an MLB stadium
I think it's 290 or so. The 308 pole is in the concourse.

Reaction Score
The simple solution would be to just have the Blue Jays play all their games at the other teams stadium. The Blue Jays can still bat in the bottom 1/2 of the inning when they're scheduled to be the home team. There aren't any fans in the building so there isn't a "home field" advantage.

Reaction Score
The simple solution would be to just have the Blue Jays play all their games at the other teams stadium. The Blue Jays can still bat in the bottom 1/2 of the inning when they're scheduled to be the home team. There aren't any fans in the building so there isn't a "home field" advantage.
But it sucks for players as they are always on the road and never home. Even if it’s a temporary apt probably nice to not always be in a hotel

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Good point! Not even piped in fan noise. I wonder who would be in charge of that and how they would select
the cheering. I hope they at least have the organist (for the "drama") LOL. Any place other than Toronto is "away" as far as staying at hotels vs. home though.

Reaction Score
Good point! Not even piped in fan noise. I wonder who would be in charge of that and how they would select
the cheering. I hope they at least have the organist (for the "drama") LOL. Any place other than Toronto is "away" as far as staying at hotels vs. home though.

There's a big difference between a 7 game homestand and picking up from city to city to city constantly.

Especially if you have a family.

Reaction Score
So what about the NHL? Do those teams have travel issues?
All 24 NHL teams are traveling to bubble cities and both are in Canada so they won't have to travel back and forth

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
It sounds like PNC Park here in Pittsburgh is an option, if not the front runner, given what our President said yesterday. I live about 3 blocks from the park, so it would be fun to have baseball pretty much every night but torture that we can’t actually watch any of it. We have another exhibition game against CLE on Wednesday, so I’m going to take a lawn chair and a radio out to the river walk outside RF and see if they tell me to move.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
It's such a beautiful park, high on my list to visit.

Im biased obviously, but I can’t recommend it enough. The views get most of the attention, but it’s such an intimate park to watch a game. My season tix are in the front row in left center and I’m right on top of the action. Outside of the upper deck grandstand in the left field corner, you can’t go wrong with any seat in the park.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Great venue to watch a game - I've been to only 2-3 games there, which is low considering I'm a quick 3 hour drive away ... with sports being taken away from us, it's probably something I'll do more moving forward, sort of a "don't know what you have til it's gone" type of thing.

A couple of my fondest memories are my quick road trips to Pitt to watch a game. I sat in the right field bleachers, got a tan, had a few beers and a couple pre-game hot dogs at a noon game probably 10 years ago, it was like $20 total. Just magical. Great park.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Great venue to watch a game - I've been to only 2-3 games there, which is low considering I'm a quick 3 hour drive away ... with sports being taken away from us, it's probably something I'll do more moving forward, sort of a "don't know what you have til it's gone" type of thing.

A couple of my fondest memories are my quick road trips to Pitt to watch a game. I sat in the right field bleachers, got a tan, had a few beers and a couple pre-game hot dogs at a noon game probably 10 years ago, it was like $20 total. Just magical. Great park.

It’s an incredibly affordable town/park. Last year I believe every Friday home game was a dollar hot dog night. Beers in the park are about what you’d expect, $7-10 depending on the brand/size but most of the bars around the park run great gameday specials so that’s usually my preference. If your team is playing here or you’re looking for a baseball road trip, it’s really hard to beat Pittsburgh. You can stay in town and have everything you’d want as far as food/entertainment within walking distance or a short Uber ride.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It’s an incredibly affordable town/park. Last year I believe every Friday home game was a dollar hot dog night. Beers in the park are about what you’d expect, $7-10 depending on the brand/size but most of the bars around the park run great gameday specials so that’s usually my preference. If your team is playing here or you’re looking for a baseball road trip, it’s really hard to beat Pittsburgh. You can stay in town and have everything you’d want as far as food/entertainment within walking distance or a short Uber ride.

Yeah my team is the Braves, and again this was maybe 2009 or 2010, but we hit up a weekday noon game, took a half day at work and the bar next door had 6 packs and dollar dogs, couldn't beat it. We bought bleacher seats in right field with a great view and sunshine for like $7. The sun was shining in a gorgeous park and I got to watch my squad and enjoy the day.

I also went in September a few years later when they were in a race with the Cardinals, a Sunday night game with a great atmosphere. That weekend I also went to see the Pitt/FSU game at Heinz that Monday, Labor Day. It was the first game of Jameis Winston's career and Heisman season, so it was an awesome weekend.

Overall, a cool city that despite my proximity I don't go to enough.

Reaction Score
Surprised they are considering Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo. Honestly, people in Buffalo drive up for Blue Jays games all the time. Rochester too. This is an area of 2.9m people within one hour's drive (Buff, Roch, Niagara Falls, Ft. Erie, St. Catherine's) outside of Toronto's market. I thought this was THE reason for them looking at Buffalo as a 2nd home. Im not saying people are Jays fans here, but I know we make the drive up a lot for games and so do so many people I know (I admit I go to Toronto FC games even more often!).

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Surprised they are considering Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo. Honestly, people in Buffalo drive up for Blue Jays games all the time. Rochester too. This is an area of 2.9m people within one hour's drive (Buff, Roch, Niagara Falls, Ft. Erie, St. Catherine's) outside of Toronto's market. I thought this was THE reason for them looking at Buffalo as a 2nd home. Im not saying people are Jays fans here, but I know we make the drive up a lot for games and so do so many people I know (I admit I go to Toronto FC games even more often!).

I think if fans could attend, that would be a big factor ... they'd know Buffalo would show out.

With no fans allowed, it's less relevant, as I see it. I still want it to happen, but that's my take.

Reaction Score

Discussion on why not Buffalo in the Baseball America article above...

Reaction Score
Cuomo has similar quarantine rules as well.

Yes, this seems to be a good reason.

Pennsylvania doesn't have those rules for games against the Devil Rays, the Rangers, Angels, A's, Twins, & Indians.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom