Blogger Raul Points Out UConn Playing Starters Up 40 Points | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blogger Raul Points Out UConn Playing Starters Up 40 Points

Reaction Score
BOO HOO, Wah Wah, Raoul didn't get a trophy. Stop it, you sound like a snow-flake.
Not to disparage any players but the Uconn bench is very limited from a numbers stand point this season. As for the three pointers, players have to play. What are the Huskies going to do, pass the ball around, take shot clock vi0lations, etc? That would be more humiliating to opposing teams than getting blow out.
Remember this is Division 1 NCAA basketball not AYSO!!!
Exactly, BBlock. Funny, I haven't heard any reports of the opposing coaches complaining about UConn leaving its starters in for too long...

Reaction Score
As noted above, we only have nine players dressed. As such, one started has to be in the game. Molly, Natalie and Kyla played the majority of the 4th quarter and accounted for all 19 of our fourth quarter points. Only Saniya and Kala attempted a three point shot and both missed. So Raoul instead of counting on a box score, maybe a little research may be required before you make your tweets. The subs don't get a lot of playing time and when they are in the game it is normal they want to play the best they can so they can both learn and attempt to gain the trust of Geno. I for one am very happy that Geno left Gabby on the court so she could pick up one more assist to earn her triple double. That girl works her tail off every single game and has earned the right Same circumstances, I hope he does it again.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No serious fan of WBB thinks Geno leaves players in to just run up the score.

That said, what is the problem if he did leave them in (not to run up the score, but because he wanted to practice some particular plays or whatever)? A pasting is a pasting. 20, 40 or 60 makes little difference.

The only thing I don't like (and so far as I know UConn doesn't do it) is when teams in the lead run a play with no shot clock at the end of the game. I don't (although some do) mind if a team that is losing badly does it. But if you are winning, just let the time run out. It used to bother me that RU didn't always do that, until E. Prince came along. She was the first player I saw hold the ball regardless of what gyrations CVS was going through, and eventually it because common practice.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
cancel-all-my-meetings.jpg

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
What are the Huskies going to do, pass the ball around, take shot clock vi0lations, etc? That would be more humiliating to opposing teams than getting blow out.
Remember this is Division 1 NCAA basketball not AYSO!!!

If I recall correctly, wasn't this an issue in one of our games at Marquette?

Reaction Score
Just my opinion here, but:
1. Starters have a right to play 3/4 of a game no matter what. Hard to work on things and get better sitting on the bench.
2. This is Div 1 college sports not high school.
3. The game (like most others) is about scoring and stopping the other team from scoring. If you're not trying your hardest in both respects you shouldn't be out there.
4. If you don't like getting beat so bad, get better.

This does not equate to trying to beat the other team by as many points as possible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wait a minute. That wasn't Saniya playing last night? ;)
I was speaking generally, over the course of the season. We've had players missing games so Geno had to play Lou, Gabby, Pheesa, and Kia a lot of minutes.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much stock in his opinion. He does tweet valuable recruiting information and I appreciate that. He is howerver, the same person that called out UCONN for signing a class of 4 and having a roster of 14 next season. Stating that the maximum number of a roster should be less than 15. He doesn't mention any of the teams that constantly have 15!!! Which by the way UCONN doesn't have a full roster. So IMO UCONN is called out for not having enough players and called out for too many<<insert eye roll>>

I'm a Husky Fan for life. Don't let haters hate ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Exactly, BBlock. Funny, I haven't heard any reports of the opposing coaches complaining about UConn leaving its starters in for too long...

Nor did the Winthrop coach complain after their game against Baylor.

The coach, BTW, has been suspended for "personal reasons." Wonder what that is all about?

Reaction Score
Very few teams/coaches ever get close to what UConn produces, so they never have to deal with the reality of frequent blowouts.

If blowouts are a regular occurrence for a team, playing the manager and the mascot is not an option.

Starters on a really really good team earn their playing time in practice, every one of which is leading up to one game, the NC. What happens to the human psyche, even ones who have bought into the notion of sacrificing short-term individual glory to garner the goodies that come from playing within the team concept, if they find that the better they do their job once the clock is running, the less they will play?

Would you work hard in practice, knowing you'd get to play a quarter or a half?

One coach that I know who had to deal with this 'problem', explained to many coaches that his job was for his team to score and their team's job was to stop the scoring.

There is also the philosophy that you aren't playing against a particular team, but rather against yourself and the limitations you fear. You just can't do that playing half a game or completely backing off and playing less than your best.

The only thing I thought when reading about the Baylor blowout was wondering what Kim imagined the team would get out of it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just my opinion here, but:
1. Starters have a right to play 3/4 of a game no matter what. Hard to work on things and get better sitting on the bench.
2. This is Div 1 college sports not high school.
3. The game (like most others) is about scoring and stopping the other team from scoring. If you're not trying your hardest in both respects you shouldn't be out there.
4. If you don't like getting beat so bad, get better.

This does not equate to trying to beat the other team by as many points as possible.

Amen! Or just don't play at all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not only do players need to practice running plays and playing defense in real game situations, they also need to run the floor and get in shape for real game situations. The energy exerted in real game situations can be on a different level than in practice. I love the Baylor depth but at some point I hope Kim starts giving the starters close to 30 minutes a game, which they may need to play as the NCAA tourney progresses.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My message for Raul:
You don't like it? Learn to deal with it!:mad:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was speaking generally, over the course of the season. We've had players missing games so Geno had to play Lou, Gabby, Pheesa, and Kia a lot of minutes.

Ah, ok. Short roster, yes; plus Geno doesn't want the other two frosh in there early on the road.

Reaction Score
It's a blogger should explain it! .....Box here http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/012417.html
Geno did nothing wrong and continues to do all that is right for the goals of the program he has built. There is almost nothing he does that is not calculated and for a reason unless CD or the staff sees different. Even then he has the last call.
Yes you pull your stars when you are up by a bunch and that is what he did. You have to keep some leadership on the floor to guide the bench and help them build confidence. As others have said this is not high school. That and the only goal here is the NC.
Geno is as perplexed as most on how this team has not lost a few games as expected this year. With a ridiculous early schedule and a team with a refuse to loose attitude it has become evident this team could go farther into the tournament than most expected. (Including Geno) ;) He is doing what he does best! :D
Feeding bloggers that are not educated enough to get / find the real story......Head bang

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't wait until next year when UCONN might have an McDonald's AA player on the floor in the 4th quarter of a game.
Count on it! Between Mikayla and Megan, they will more than hold their own.

Reaction Score
Nor did the Winthrop coach complain after their game against Baylor.

The coach, BTW, has been suspended for "personal reasons." Wonder what that is all about?

I saw that today. That seemed.....strange....to say the least. 'pursuant to the contract' and what not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom