Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC... | The Boneyard

Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1) they would not leave uconn as our program means to much $ to them to do so. so either we are getting a bball invite from them to join or were leaving the NBE
2) why nyc? they are the mother fuckers who live and die with small time providence bull
3) i bet $ that dayton, butler and xavier for starters had some 1 in attendance to start the realistic new league ideas.
4) hasn't this nj guy been wrong on everything for a while now? so whats the opposite of this? they havn't met at all?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow. It would be a good league on its own, but do they really think that they would thrive without having UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, and UCF in the league??? I think they need those schools now more than ever, because I'm not confident that the "Catholic A-10" would even get the same money as they are getting in the current contract, much less more money...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It makes sense - the hoop-onlies need to have a plan moving forward. The football conference is just about one defection away from brain death and even if it survives, it can't be appealing to the basketball schools.

The financial benefits of remaining with a UConn or Cincy-less Big East are probably well outweighed by the burden of having to sell a home ticket slate made up of scrapple like UCF, Tulane and Houston.

I suspect we're seeing the end of the end.

Reaction Score
Well, we always knew it would be the basketball schools that would get tired of the constant misdirection plays from the FB schools. I guess we can look forward to a "national all sports conference." Or are we looking at UConn being in a conference with

UMass
Buffalo
Temple
East Carolina
Memphis
USF
UCF
Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
well, i guess warde has a little bit more monitoring to do on his plate.

"Those schools are concerned about the defection of the core of the Big East basketball conference–Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Notre Dame as well as the expansion of the conference in football to 12 teams and the inclusion of schools such as Central Florida, Memphis, SMU, Houston and Temple in basketball."

In truth, can you blame them? the money they're going to receive, maybe $1-3m is that going to be worth it when the extra travel is factored in? trips to texas, florida, for the privilege of playing smu, houston, ucf, usf?

that 1-3m figure represents 10% of the ad budgets of the catholic schools. for them, at some point it isn't about the tv revenue.

if they do split, and the fb schools stick around, uconn's bb conference becomes:

uconn/temple/memphis/ucf/usf/tulane

smu/houston/??fresno state??/colorado state?/ecu??

i usually am not pessimistic, but i can't see uconn's athletic budget of $64m ( the highest by far of any current big east school, or new entrant) being sustained.

warde manuel and susan herbst. what a heavy burden to bear for two people, but that burden is rightfully placed, and i hope that their talents and efforts make us soon call them exceptional leaders. we have played games here, conjuring the most fancy of scenarios, some are rooted in logic, some in conspiracy, others hope. in the end, we as a fanbase are powerless to change things.

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."–George Patton

i sure hope herbst has delany's ear about what a great leader patton was.

Reaction Score
I almost hope it happens, blow it totally up. The BE was to stupid to go all sports in early 2000s and kept these bottom feeders around. It just reinforces how you have to be able to pivot when necessary and what happens when you don't.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4188

Also on the MBB board but posted here per request.
It makes sense - the hoop-onlies need to have a plan moving forward. The football conference is just about one defection away from brain death and even if it survives, it can't be appealing to the basketball schools.

The financial benefits of remaining with a UConn or Cincy-less Big East are probably well outweighed by the burden of having to sell a home ticket slate made up of scrapple like UCF, Tulane and Houston.

I suspect we're seeing the end of the end.

Reaction Score
It wasn't clandestine...

Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel)
12/10/12, 11:22 PM
Big East BB schools meeting in NYC today wasn't secret. Commissioner Mike Aresco was there to answer questions, discuss future.

Reaction Score
blauds never said it was clandestine. in fact he even said the big east brought the idea of having the catholics play mirror games. that maggot pete thamel has to pretend he is relevant.

It wasn't clandestine...

Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel)
12/10/12, 11:22 PM
Big East BB schools meeting in NYC today wasn't secret. Commissioner Mike Aresco was there to answer questions, discuss future.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Did I read somewhere (probably here) that there was a push for possibly divisions in order to set up the most made for TV games?

You would have to assume in that scenario TV would push for UConn/Georgetown home and homes, or Villanova/St. John's home and homes and just say the hell with it for any legitimate regular season 'champion'.

Reaction Score
So there..LOL

MHver3 (@MHver3)
12/10/12, 11:42 PM
BigEast meeting today was Aresco assuring bball schools that they would land a home with a decent tv contract.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Travel: Think Home and Away mileage.

EAST: AKA the AMTRAK League
Providence .
St John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
George Mason

West: Alternate Home and Away
Dayton'
St Louis
Marquette
Depaul
Butler
Xavier

Plus the savings on facility costs. Coaches. Keeping up with the Rat Race Joneses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, we always knew it would be the basketball schools that would get tired of the constant misdirection plays from the FB schools. I guess we can look forward to a "national all sports conference." Or are we looking at UConn being in a conference with

UMass
Buffalo
Temple
East Carolina
Memphis
USF
UCF
Cincinnati.

This reality may not be far off. The basketball schools need good opponents for ticket sales. USF and UCF are poison to them.

I think all parties are pricing out the various alternatives, and will make a business decision. UConn and Cincinnati could be in for a curb stomping, because the hoops schools may be better off on their own.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So there..LOL

MHver3 (@MHver3)
12/10/12, 11:42 PM
BigEast meeting today was Aresco assuring bball schools that they would land a home with a decent tv contract.

That over-worked phrase "Show me the Money" applies here. I'm sure they are running the numbers and performing due diligence.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Travel: Think Home and Away mileage.

EAST: AKA the AMTRAK League
Providence .
St John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Georgetown
George Mason

West: Alternate Home and Away
Dayton'
St Louis
Marquette
Depaul
Butler
Xavier

Plus the savings on facility costs. Coaches. Keeping up with the Rat Race Joneses.

Georgetown would never be in a league with George Mason, but otherwise this league is a real possibility.

Reaction Score
Blowing up...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tball-members-meet-discuss-possible-breakaway

Note $$$ amount difference from above article. ($80m v.$60m)

Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN)
12/11/12, 12:25 AM
If Big East gets $80M TV deal, hoop schools would get less $ than currently do RT @AlexOPunk: @McMurphyESPN @espn do they not like money?

12/11/12, 12:27 AM
Source told @ESPNAndyKatz MSG may get out of Big East tourney deal if league continues changing membership

Edit add...

12/11/12, 12:32 AM
Big East source: "Basketball schools not thrilled w/Tulane & what they will do to lRPI. They would have fallen off ledge if we added ECU"

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
msg is going to be interesting. the b10 and acc will go balls to the wall for it i think. if the b10 strikes again they may tkae over for good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sympathetic to the hoop schools to some extent, but come on now...some of those motherf***ers have been torpedoing our RPI for two duck*ing decades.

Don't tell me what Tulane might do to their RPI when Seton Hall, Providence and St. John's stick their dick in our RPI yearly.

Reaction Score
I heard 4 or 5 days before this meeting in NYC today from someone who knows someone with Xavier that Xavier's already been told by the BE Catholics to start getting ready to join their brethren in some way shape or form.

Didn't put much stock in it at the time, but now news comes out about this meeting sooooo

Reaction Score
this is really bad for uconn, cincy and sofla the big east is the titantic and they about go down with it

Reaction Score
The only reason for non-football schools to stay attached is big $ from a new TV deal. Now it's clear that $ isn't coming. So here we go. -- Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS)

Reaction Score
The only reason for non-football schools to stay attached is big $ from a new TV deal. Now it's clear that $ isn't coming. So here we go. -- Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS)
There are some posts where you're screaming baseball avatar is perfect, that's one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom