Blauds - "Big Ten, ACC? Why not UConn?" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Blauds - "Big Ten, ACC? Why not UConn?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The theory has been that UConn will always be there for the taking. Winning both titles this year may be the one thing that changes that. The Big 10 hasn't won the title in 15 years. Delany saw the electricity of UConn playing in Madison Square Garden with his own eyes. Then there is the ACC who wants to claim that they are the premier basketball conference in the country. Both conferences want to claim NYC. The Big 10 has a TV contract coming up. Hopefully, both conferences are eying one another and one blinks.
I think the the Dual titles created cognitive dissonance among the decision makers.
The ACC may not want us but they don't want us in the B1G even more.
The steps for the B1G are clearly outlined but could the timing required for these methodical steps cause us to be grabbed by the ACC first.
In short it's a good thing.

Reaction Score
It sort of wouldn't be fair...at least for basketball. I guess it depends on who the partner is. Let's just say it's Kansas.

The other side would be:

Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue

I think you'd probably have to flip Northwestern-Indiana, or Purdue-Michigan State, to balance off the basketball...even with Kansas there, because only Kansas and Wisconsin have solid basketball histories on that side, as opposed to UConn, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, and even Maryland on the other.

And if it were not Kansas, but some school like Mizzou...you just couldn't have one side stacked that heavily.

Even though I root for Sparty in hoops, I'm loyal to the BIG West & Minnesota for everything else. Your divisional setup is fine.

You're forgetting that Illinois is quite honestly a dormant power, a true underachiever, that could become a powerhouse once they find a way to consistently keep the best of the in-state talent. They're probably the best program TO NOT WIN A NC. That was a great team in 2005, throw in 1989 as well - Michigan finally beat them to win an improbable NC that year. The 89 Flying Illini had destroyed them in two previous games & could have beaten Seton Hall as well. I think Illinois has 5 Final Fours.

Think about this: the last 3 NCs have each had a KEY player hail from Illinois: Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear and Boatright - you can go back further an find even more evidence. Schools like Ky, KU and Duke have scored huge recruits out of Illinois for decades.

Lastly, in your proposed division - all but Northwestern have at least one Final Four in their history, though Minnesota's 97 FF was vacated. NW hasn't made the tourney yet - that may change with Chris Collins as coach. He really had them playing competitively by season's end & they do have the Chicago Land pipelines, they just need to mine them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104